Back-up plan for PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mes14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a pre-pt student graduating in May and only have a 2.95 GPA right now. I have 300 observation hours in PT from an internship, also. I'm trying to think of a back up plan and my plan right now is to work as a PT tech and take more science classes this next year and then apply in 2015. But, I've also heard advice on getting a masters in something to raise my GPA and then apply and so I'll have a back-up plan job if all else fails.

My degree is in ex physiology so there's not many "real" job options with that degree that I know of. PT is my first choice job but I'm just worried that I'll apply year after year and never get in-so I want to have a back up plan. So, do you think it'd be better to work as a PT tech and take more classes and just hope I get in, or to get a Masters to raise my GPA? What did y'all have as a back-up plan? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the 2.95 your cumulative GPA? Most programs have a minimum requirement of a 3.0, so you should raise your GPA. If your ultimate goal is PT school, then getting a masters might be a waste of time/money. How is your pre-req GPA?

Look into becoming a PTA. It's not a bad job. They make 60-70% of PTs make and don't incur nearly as much debt. Of course, your scope of practice might be limited and you won't be able to do evaluations.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mentor who is a physical therapist herself. She graduated from UPenn and has her Ph.d she advised me a while ago to apply for a masters in public health because the profession has many open doors for when you have your actual dpt degree. I don't think its a waste of time to get a masters. I think if its relevant to your passion go for it then pt school it will help tremendously

Hey all,

I'm a pre-pt student graduating in May and only have a 2.95 GPA right now. I have 300 observation hours in PT from an internship, also. I'm trying to think of a back up plan and my plan right now is to work as a PT tech and take more science classes this next year and then apply in 2015. But, I've also heard advice on getting a masters in something to raise my GPA and then apply and so I'll have a back-up plan job if all else fails.

My degree is in ex physiology so there's not many "real" job options with that degree that I know of. PT is my first choice job but I'm just worried that I'll apply year after year and never get in-so I want to have a back up plan. So, do you think it'd be better to work as a PT tech and take more classes and just hope I get in, or to get a Masters to raise my GPA? What did y'all have as a back-up plan? Thanks everyone!

Is the 2.95 your cumulative GPA? Most programs have a minimum requirement of a 3.0, so you should raise your GPA. If your ultimate goal is PT school, then getting a masters might be a waste of time/money. How is your pre-req GPA?

I am actually annoyed at how many people think obtaining a Masters is a useless idea. There was NO WAY I would have been admitted to 3 PT schools with the undergraduate GPA that I had graduating 4 years ago. If pursuing a Masters degree, just be smart about it. Think about what and why you are doing it before enrolling. That way, when asked about it in PT school interviews, you can eloquently tie it together. Sure, I'd take some undergraduate coursework to raise your GPA a little, but obtaining a Masters in a relevant field, like public health or health promotion, will enable you to be a better clinician in the future. Who knows what some of these schools are looking for. But a Masters will set you apart from the crowd that has only an undergrad degree but higher GPA. I can attest..

Reactions: 1 user
I am actually annoyed at how many people think obtaining a Masters is a useless idea. There was NO WAY I would have been admitted to 3 PT schools with the undergraduate GPA that I had graduating 4 years ago. .

How do you know those schools accepted you because you had a masters degree? It's an expensive way to improve your application.

Email the schools your applying to and ask them on their policies for retakes. Most likely, you will take a small hit for retaking so many classes. But if the school takes the highest grade achieved, it will put you ahead moreso despite the tiny hit you will take. If you do take retakes, you NEED to 4.0 them. Do your research, get the best professors you can...
(in undergrad, I'm a firm believer that at least 50% of your grade is based on the instructor you have...lol)
Take a semester, retake at least 2-3 of your lowest grades...science pre req classes first...

I am actually annoyed at how many people think obtaining a Masters is a useless idea. There was NO WAY I would have been admitted to 3 PT schools with the undergraduate GPA that I had graduating 4 years ago. If pursuing a Masters degree, just be smart about it. Think about what and why you are doing it before enrolling. That way, when asked about it in PT school interviews, you can eloquently tie it together. Sure, I'd take some undergraduate coursework to raise your GPA a little, but obtaining a Masters in a relevant field, like public health or health promotion, will enable you to be a better clinician in the future. Who knows what some of these schools are looking for. But a Masters will set you apart from the crowd that has only an undergrad degree but higher GPA. I can attest..

I just said that it might be a waste, not that all Masters are. If the poster has a decent pre-req gpa, then taking a few easy classes to boost their cum GPA seems like an easier way to go. Masters programs are not a bad idea, and probably a good idea if you're smart about it like you said, but there are other options too.