Backdoor Roth and delays in late December

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted859535

I know, I know. Should've done this in January.

Anyway.

Have taxable account and tIRA in Vanguard. Do not have established Roth there yet (this would be first year of doing this). Have corporate 401(k) with Fidelity.

Given that Vanguard has their seven-day brokerage holds on funding these days, would I be out of luck trying to do a backdoor Roth starting today, 12/26, since I imagine I couldn't convert with unsettled funds?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyway.

Have taxable account and tIRA in Vanguard. Do not have established Roth there yet (this would be first year of doing this). Have corporate 401(k) with Fidelity.

Given that Vanguard has their seven-day brokerage holds on funding these days, would I be out of luck trying to do a backdoor Roth starting today, 12/26, since I imagine I couldn't convert with unsettled funds?

You have until tax day to fund the account. You can convert after the 31 if you want. It just means an additional tax document to file. Turbo tax does it for me.

Reactions: 1 users

Anyway.

Obviously now is too late to help you, but if you had called them, they have a paper form that you can fax to them and they will manually override the 7 day hold so you could have done the tIRA to rIRA conversion.