Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecuajedi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I posted this same topic on the Dental boards but they seem a little bit more dead than the predents board. Any help would be appreciated.
Do they do a background check on you after you get accepted and if so how extensive is it? Is there anything that can prevent you from getting in once youve been accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

lol. who cares?

I dont know how extensive any background checks are, but I would be willing to wager that if you lied on the AADSAS portion where they ask if you committed any felonies or misdemeanors other than traffic violations, they would toss you would ASAP even after you were accepted. That's just wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know how extensive any background checks are, but I would be willing to wager that if you lied on the AADSAS portion where they ask if you committed any felonies or misdemeanors other than traffic violations, they would toss you would ASAP even after you were accepted. That's just wrong.

They only ask about felonies on the AADSAS, secondaries sometimes ask about misdemeanors. I dont think they care much about alcohol related things during college. If I was on the comitee, I would consider it a good thing honestly

I was at an interview the other day and they did say that after accepting their offer of admissions they would run a background check...and then if that clears then you are accepted. You can't get a license to practice if you have a criminal record.

My criminal record is completely clear, but I'm worried about them digging up my conduct card from the spring semester in 1st grade.

I didn't study for my spelling test and was scared to lose my streak of 100s so I tried to cheat and got caught. I learned my lesson and never did it again but you never know how extensive these background checks can be.

So I posted this same topic on the Dental boards but they seem a little bit more dead than the predents board. Any help would be appreciated.
Do they do a background check on you after you get accepted and if so how extensive is it? Is there anything that can prevent you from getting in once youve been accepted?

who did you accidentally kill?

I was at an interview the other day and they did say that after accepting their offer of admissions they would run a background check...and then if that clears then you are accepted. You can't get a license to practice if you have a criminal record.

yeah, i have heard this as well that schools run background checks b/c you can't get a license to practice if you have a record. they need to make sure you are able to get a license BEFORE they accept you rather than after you rack up $100+k in debt and then can't get a license. i think only felonies are a problem not misdemeanors, but i actually don't really know what the difference is other than that misdemeanors are less serious. hopefully, i won't ever know the difference. :p

They probaly don't care much about minor things, alcohol ect., I think they are more concerned with vilolent/sex/drugs.

what about that?
Could not do sex or what?

Most likely...

My criminal record is completely clear, but I'm worried about them digging up my conduct card from the spring semester in 1st grade.

I didn't study for my spelling test and was scared to lose my streak of 100s so I tried to cheat and got caught. I learned my lesson and never did it again but you never know how extensive these background checks can be.

priceless

Members don't see this ad :)
I read somewhere that you are subject to a drug test at most schools if they deem necessary.

Any facts on that?

half the kids wouldnt get in if they had drug tests

I read that too somewhere, but i thought it was only for current dental students if they are suspected to be on drugs; better ease up on the crack just to be safe though

I posted that drug test question on the dental forum today. Only one reply so far and they had never heard about a drug test.

What did you do? How serious are we talking about?

I didn't apply this cycle, but I have looked over the AADSAS and never saw that it asked for anything like this. Is there some section I'm missing?

On AADSAS, it asks have you ever been convicted of a felony. Some secondaries ask about misdemeanors

Michigan asks if you have ever been suspended from any school. I had to think long and hard about High School. It was such a blur, I am sure I got suspended at least once. Jr High for sure.

Oh well, I lied and said no.:)

Where? Not that it really affects me...but I pretty much went over the AADSAS, and just looked again and don't see it anywhere...it's not in the background section. I just like to be thorough..haha. thanks

nevermind....I can't seem to find it. It must have been on a secondary

By cheeteng on ure spelleng test ure onlie cheeteng ureself...

i think there might have been something that popped up for you to fill in right after you submit your AADSAS that was specifically asking about this. i thought there were a couple of screens before it was actually really submitted, and one was mandatory and asked about your criminal record and the other was an optional one about your ethnicity and gender.

anyone else remember this?