Quantcast

background check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doopdidoop

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
so i got this email today (3 times!) from amcas....what does this mean?? does this mean a potential interview invite or something? any insight would help. thanks :)

As you were notified in the AMCAS application, and in an email upon submission of your AMCAS application, you have applied to at least one medical school that is participating in an AMCAS-facilitated national background check service. For a list of medical schools participating in the national background check service, please go to http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm. A participating school has now requested that a background check be procured on you via this service, and you will soon receive an email from Certiphi Screening, Inc. that requests that you log into their online system and provide consent for this report to be procured. To ensure that you meet this requirement, please ensure that you have added [email protected] as a trusted email sender.

For additional information, including details regarding the consumer report to be procured, go to our web site at www.aamc.org.

cramlie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the same email this morning (X2). Lets hope it means something good!

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup got it as well. Check my MDApps for places I've applied/been accepted. Maybe there's overlap.

mybubbles14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with interviews BUT correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't it mean that one of the schools that has accepted you wants to get a background check? I checked your mdapps OP and the school that you're accepted at participates. I received one as well and I know that the school that I am accepted at does background checks as well...

Last year people got the email around the time of acceptances (sometimes before and used this as an indicator of acceptance) I believe but this year amcas waited until after Jan 1st

Tatastrophy

That snot funny!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i got this email today (3 times!) from amcas....what does this mean?? does this mean a potential interview invite or something? any insight would help. thanks :)

As you were notified in the AMCAS application, and in an email upon submission of your AMCAS application, you have applied to at least one medical school that is participating in an AMCAS-facilitated national background check service. For a list of medical schools participating in the national background check service, please go to http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm. A participating school has now requested that a background check be procured on you via this service, and you will soon receive an email from Certiphi Screening, Inc. that requests that you log into their online system and provide consent for this report to be procured. To ensure that you meet this requirement, please ensure that you have added [email protected] as a trusted email sender.

For additional information, including details regarding the consumer report to be procured, go to our web site at www.aamc.org.
I think it is MCG requesting the background check.

ramleigh7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it means something different this year... It is a relatively new service -and it has only recently been embraced by a majority of the medical schools...

I think maybe it might be automatically asked for this year from schools who haven't straight out rejected you... I just say this because I've only interviewed at 2 schools, with one waitlist and one acceptance, yet I've received 17 of those emails! Maybe it was glitch?

Sigh. Trying not to get my hopes up :)

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is this thing? I got 5 emails. I have 4 acceptances, but 2 of them are from schools that aren't on the list. I interviewed at 5 of the listed schools already. Does this mean a couple more have accepted me but haven't let me know yet?

rockaction

casemed'14
Reaction score
What is this thing? I got 5 emails. I have 4 acceptances, but 2 of them are from schools that aren't on the list. I interviewed at 5 of the listed schools already. Does this mean a couple more have accepted me but haven't let me know yet?

If you read the CBC statements made by the schools doing the Certiphi thing, they most likely state that all accepted and waitlisted applicants get the background check done. The schools where you are waitlisted can't see the results until they accept you, but still. If you're waitlisted somewhere that school probably requested it alongside the ones that accepted you. For example, Vanderbilt requests the Certiphi check for all waitlisted and accepted applicants.

So don't take it as any indicator of positive or negative positioning in the application process.

OneMCATAway

MDog 2K+
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ahhh this background check thing is driving me crazyy am i the only one with no email? btw i haven't been accepted yet but hoping to hear from one of my schools in a couple days and now hoping to be background checked soon :shrug:

riss1084

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i haven't received one recently either and am starting to kinda freak out. the schools i interviewed at all require CBCs. I did receive a background check email on 6/2/09 after submitting AMCAS originally though.... i hope this isn't a bad sign

OneMCATAway

MDog 2K+
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone with NO ACCEPTANCE get the background check?

rockaction

casemed'14
Reaction score
you guys are over-analyzing this. this is absolutely NO indication of your standing at any school.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received the CBC email back in October, and nothing since.

longhorn09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As indicated in the email, you have either be put on waitlist or offered a conditional acceptance by at least one school that require CBC.

chman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that schools only do background checks after acceptance, but I could be wrong of course.

CdnHopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say we lived in residence/off campus in college...are we going to have to write this down on the addresses as well? it's a HUGE hasssle

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was trying to think of a good way to describe SDN to a friend of mine who wasn't familiar with it.

...then I saw this thread. This thread is soooo SDN.

swamprat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say we lived in residence/off campus in college...are we going to have to write this down on the addresses as well? it's a HUGE hasssle

I didn't and I don't think you need to unless you went to the DMV and changed your license everytime you moved to a new place. Mine was always my home address.