Background checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgt3477

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last week I received an email from NOVA...this year they will begin checking our backgrounds in order to meet requirements implemented by some of NOVAs clinical training facilities.

I was wondering-are there any other schools implementing background checks?

Members don't see this ad.

cgt3477 said:
So last week I received an email from NOVA...this year they will begin checking our backgrounds in order to meet requirements implemented by some of NOVAs clinical training facilities.

Yes, registered sex offenders are not allowed to treat patients....!

lnn2 said:
Yes, registered sex offenders are not allowed to treat patients....!

A guy that I go to school with and that is applying to dental school has a misdemeanor charge of "contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor". To make a long story short his story is that when he turned 18 in high school he got caught messing around with another high school girl that was under 18. Her mother pressed charges and so on. This happened about 10 years ago and he never petitioned to have it removed from his record. Well now that he is applying to D-school he is pretty stressed that it will come up if and when he applies for his license. He has been told by a lawyer that with the sex offender laws being so strict now that he would have a hard time getting it removed. Anyone think he'll have any trouble getting into D-school or getting his license? He asked me but I told him that I really have no clue how they view such charges.

cgt3477 said:

When you send in your deposit to Penn, you also must authorize a background check. In Pennsylvania, you can not treat a minor if you are a child sex offender. They also want to make sure you have never been convicted of a felony. In most states, you will lose your license if you are convicted of a felony; so you can not go into school with one.