Backup plan for dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have asked this once before, but I'll ask again. I'm struggling with the thought of what my backup plan is. I will finish a masters in bio in May 2008, and will prob need to start something then. What are you guys going to do?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was you...
After finishing masters...
Take 2 weeks off from EVERYTHING, go on a little vacation, come back and spend the next 4 months of your life STUDYING YOUR BUTT OFF to retake the DAT one final time, I mean, study study study, and when you think you've had enough... guess what ? STUDY SOME MORE , study hard but more importantly study smart, finally....

go get tested and MAKE SURE you get a DAT score that is hotter than Miss. USA.

I may have asked this once before, but I'll ask again. I'm struggling with the thought of what my backup plan is. I will finish a masters in bio in May 2008, and will prob need to start something then. What are you guys going to do?

How about medicine? If you can't get in US schools (MD/DO) then do the offshore route. Getting family residency slots in the States is pretty easy nowadays. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
cry.

Then probably work in my field (microbiology) I'm pretty interested in working in the industry, and maybe doing a masters.

How about medicine? If you can't get in US schools (MD/DO) then do the offshore route. Getting family residency slots in the States is pretty easy nowadays. DP

Well its funny but I'm not all that interested in medicine. I thought about working in microbiology, or becoming a racecar driver :laugh:

Will that help in pharm. sales? I thought u would need a PhD at least to do any kind of R&D.

"A Master’s and/or Ph.D. degree in pharmacology is good preparation for career opportunities involving research, teaching and administration. Academic positions are found in schools of medicine, pharmacy, dentistry and veterinary medicine. Also, since pharmacology spans many disciplines, academic positions can be found in departments of biology, cell biology, chemistry, biochemistry, pathology, immunology, microbiology and molecular biology. Career opportunities also abound in the pharmaceutical, chemical and biotechnology industries as well as in numerous private and government research institutes."

That is the description for the pharmacology masters program. So I'm guessing you can do R&D and be part of the research project team but of course you would need to have a PhD to be the head of the Research project. I think the type of masters you do will be pertinent in landing a job quicker.

I too had a backup plan for dental school. I got a degree in engineering. Now I'm admitted and there is no way I would want to be an engineer.

I would caution you from expending too much energy in planning a backup career unless you have children or some other commitment. I'm only 21 y.o. so if I were to not be admitted, I could take some time to pursue something else without sacrificing my family. I am not sure of what your situation is. Dentistry is so great and I can only think of a handful of professions that have similar rewards.

Take the energy of planning the second career and study for the DAT, get good grades, and get into dental school. Never look back! Best of luck though.

"A Master's and/or Ph.D. degree in pharmacology is good preparation for career opportunities involving research, teaching and administration. Academic positions are found in schools of medicine, pharmacy, dentistry and veterinary medicine. Also, since pharmacology spans many disciplines, academic positions can be found in departments of biology, cell biology, chemistry, biochemistry, pathology, immunology, microbiology and molecular biology. Career opportunities also abound in the pharmaceutical, chemical and biotechnology industries as well as in numerous private and government research institutes."

That is the description for the pharmacology masters program. So I'm guessing you can do R&D and be part of the research project team but of course you would need to have a PhD to be the head of the Research project. I think the type of masters you do will be pertinent in landing a job quicker.

they just had an article about the growth of the research field in US News, and US News says that you'll be fine entering the field with a masters. on the other hand, the bls isn't as optimistic for those who only have a mastesr.

the field is supposed to grow by nearly 30% in the next 10 years, or something like that. but you would do much better landing a research position that pays well- whcih is something you have to consider if you're taking out loans- if you do a PhD program (not to mentin the fact that you'll pay for your masters, but you'll receive tution remission and a typical $20K+ stipend as a PhD candidate for the first 2 years). and that's really just because you need to develop your research skills, and a 2 year degree doesn't give you as good an opportunity to do that. i don't understand it myself, but the bls said that you are going to need a PhD if you expect to succeed in landing a job (even if you're not trying to be a principal investigator) despite the growth. it's not impossible if you work hard and do impressive thesis work towards your masters, but competition is supposed to increase at an even greater rate than the industry itself.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/061218/18medsci.summary.htm

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos008.htm

actually,,,, the true answer to this thread is "None"

You have no backup because dentistry is where your going to END UP AT.... Stay strong and keep applying every cycle, eventually theyr gonna remember your whole application by heart and know that you want it bad....... Just remember to apply to 15+ schools every cycle and keep applying to the same schools every year.... eventually they accept the fact that your not going to go away unless they give you an acceptance letter

actually,,,, the true answer to this thread is "None"

You have no backup because dentistry is where your going to END UP AT.... Stay strong and keep applying every cycle, eventually theyr gonna remember your whole application by heart and know that you want it bad....... Just remember to apply to 15+ schools every cycle and keep applying to the same schools every year.... eventually they accept the fact that your not going to go away unless they give you an acceptance letter

:laugh: i like your optimism.:thumbup:

i started looking at research because i plan on doing it no matter what- be it during dental school and with a DDS/DMD, or in grad school and with a PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all great replies. As far as my current situation, I couldnt be in a better position for pursuing dentistry. I have no spouse or kids, paid off car (11 yrs old hehe), and nothing but time. But the reality is, I must prepare to do SOMETHING because I cannot turn 30 (im 25 now) and still be applying to dental school with no other career plans. I feel I will get in eventually but I cant just ignore the possibility of not. The masters I am doing is great. It's a general biology masters but I can focus on either micro, cell and molecular, neurobiology, etc. ALSO, there is a possibility of getting a teaching assistantship, where tuition would be WAIVED as well as getting paid well while working as a TA. Soooo, all u people not knowing what to do next in your predent adventure, I suggest masters. After masters, I was thinking of pharm or dental supply rep. Not glamorous, but gotta do something. Not a fan of research, so that knocks out a lot of options for me I know.

I don't know if you like kids enough, but you may want to check out teaching in your area. You could easily get a job (especially with a masters) in most inner-cities due to the high demand in science and math, and most states have a pretty easy test over the summer to get the initial license. I'm teaching now, and it plays well to supply income while allowing for plenty of hours to study for the DAT. Just a thought...but you've gotta like kids to deal with them during that whole year!
P.S. - Don't give up!!! You're only 25...you've got 3 years on me (28) and I plan on reapplying until I'm accepted, or dead, whichever comes first...30's only a number! :eek:

Pharmacy, optometry, chiropractic, public health... or be a underwater explorer/scientist Jacques Cousteau-style

i beg to differ

That is pending on the OP stats. Pharmacy school is easier to get in than dental school but if the OP has 2.0 GPA, they both will become impossible. Optometry and chiropractic schools are much more easier to gain admission. How about offshore medical schools? They almost guarantee admission and getting residency slots in US is very easy especially FP. In terms of gaining admission to health professions, my perception is as follows:

VET>MD>DDS/DMD>DO>PHARM>OPT>DC>offshore MD schools (most but not all). DP

Why is it easy to get access to offshore MD schools? Im not trying to be a jerk by asking... Im just trying to obtain info, I have a friend who want to become an MD but his GPA is pretty low (Overal 2.98~due to undergrad years and MCAT is 28), and I don't think he has any hope of getting into any USA medical schools...

Can you still work as an MD in USA if you go to an offshore school? how is the level of teaching ?

Why is it easy to get access to offshore MD schools? Im not trying to be a jerk by asking... Im just trying to obtain info, I have a friend who want to become an MD but his GPA is pretty low (Overal 2.98~due to undergrad years and MCAT is 28), and I don't think he has any hope of getting into any USA medical schools...

Can you still work as an MD in USA if you go to an offshore school? how is the level of teaching ?

It's easy to get into an offshore medical school, a la Carribean medical schools (SGU, Ross, Saba, etc.). Because it's your very last alternative to get into medicine with any hopes of returning to the US. They need students hence it is easier. Your return to do residency in the US is dependent upon your USMLE Step I score. But the typical residency positions for offshore students are family med, internal med, or emerg med, for obvious reasons.

Offshore medical schools are raking in dollars for accepting foreiners and US grads who can't gain admission to US medical schools. It is a big profitable bussiness. Some have the stats to go to US DO schools but because for some reasons that only make sense to them, they opted for foreign schools to get the MD degree. Some schools have low student passing rates of the Boards and match in US residency slots while some others have pretty good rates. By no means these schools offer "open admission" but if you have OK stats like your friend, he will get in somewhere. Beware that there are some schools that are NOT approved on the WHO list so stay away from these. Antigua is one. So getting admission to offshore school is easy but passing the Boards may be tougher and getting a residency slot in competitive specialty is extremely difficult (derm, cardiology). So pick a school that is well known to have successful placement to US residency program. If your friend wants to be a physician, apply to US DO schools and if that does not work, then consider offshore schools with reputation. DP

Offshore medical schools are raking in dollars for accepting foreiners and US grads who can't gain admission to US medical schools. It is a big profitable bussiness. Some have the stats to go to US DO schools but because for some reasons that only make sense to them, they opted for foreign schools to get the MD degree. Some schools have low student passing rates of the Boards and match in US residency slots while some others have pretty good rates. By no means these schools offer "open admission" but if you have OK stats like your friend, he will get in somewhere. Beware that there are some schools that are NOT approved on the WHO list so stay away from these. Antigua is one. So getting admission to offshore school is easy but passing the Boards may be tougher and getting a residency slot in competitive specialty is extremely difficult (derm, cardiology). So pick a school that is well known to have successful placement to US residency program. If your friend wants to be a physician, apply to US DO schools and if that does not work, then consider offshore schools with reputation. DP

Good advice but I really wonder if the stigma of having a DO outweighs going offshore to a good rep school like SGU or Ross and getting an MD.

Good advice but I really wonder if the stigma of having a DO outweighs going offshore to a good rep school like SGU or Ross and getting an MD.

That is my point precisely. Some are willing to be away from home living in poverty to get that coveted MD degree. DO grads have better chance of getting into more competitive specialty than foreign MDs but the stigma associated with DO degree cause many to go through this route. For me I will NEVER go to offshore medical school if I can get a slot in US DO schools. DP

Dai, thats an interesting point your bring up...

Now, according to my underestanding, both MD and DO are capable of doing the same thing (both can treat patients, write prescription for drugs, have thier own practices, etc etc), but I think going to school for DO is a little more challenging, you have to study additional things about how the whole body works.... How come it harder to become MD than DO in the states ?