Backup plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do programs know if you apply to an internal medicine program at the same institution? Or is it all-or-nothing? With derm being so competitive, I can see a lot of people applying to other specialties as a back-up, however, maybe not at the same institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Do programs know if you apply to an internal medicine program at the same institution? Or is it all-or-nothing? With derm being so competitive, I can see a lot of people applying to other specialties as a back-up, however, maybe not at the same institution.

They do not automatically know, just as Derm programs don't know what other Derm programs we are applying to/interviewing with. However, one never knows who knows who at an institution. Also, there is a chance that a personal statement or lor gets sent to the wrong person if one applies to more than one specialty.

I'm sure people do it for the reason you pointed out. You can scramble into a spot in medicine if you don't match into Derm since there are usually a decent amount of medicine programs that don't fill. However, you can only do this if you don't do the 'list academic prelims at the bottom of your primary and match at one' thing (which I think most of us do).

I believe in all-or-nothing, but that is only opinion. That does not mean it has to be that way.

Last edited:
A friend of mine applied to Rad Onc and Derm. No one found out. I think you just have to apply smart and apply at different hospitals preferably not linked (MGH and BWH for example)

Members don't see this ad :)
vicinihil- rad onc and derm just seems absolutely ridiculous... what were your friend's intentions?!?!

Oh, well that makes a little more sense. So what did he ultimately end up going into? Or is he matching this season?