Bacteriology Texts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So our bacteriology prof is a really nice guy, but even though I did okay first half of his class, I don't really feel like I've learned much and it's kinda freaking me out. Like it's all been memorized without any context even worse than anatomy. My female foster dog and my alpha male got into a big fight which sent the male to the ER. He got Clavamox from the ER doc and all I could think was "that's the one that uses both amoxicillin and clavulonate to get extra results!" The female got chloramphenicol from the shelter vet ("cause it's cheap") and all I could think of was "that's the one that can cause fatal anemia in humans." I felt really silly that's all I knew cause that's all we've been tested on. :rolleyes:

His notes are really long in big paragraphs and I've made charts on stuff, which is somewhat helpful, but since we don't have a textbook for a quick and dirty, I feel like I'm missing big picture stuff in favor of minutia. Is there a good microbio/bact text that will give me big picture stuff? I never took microbio in undergrad or grad school, so I feel kinda lost despite having done okay first block of the class.

Members don't see this ad.

So our bacteriology prof is a really nice guy, but even though I did okay first half of his class, I don't really feel like I've learned much and it's kinda freaking me out. Like it's all been memorized without any context even worse than anatomy. My female foster dog and my alpha male got into a big fight which sent the male to the ER. He got Clavamox from the ER doc and all I could think was "that's the one that uses both amoxicillin and clavulonate to get extra results!" The female got chloramphenicol from the shelter vet ("cause it's cheap") and all I could think of was "that's the one that can cause fatal anemia in humans." I felt really silly that's all I knew cause that's all we've been tested on. :rolleyes:

His notes are really long in big paragraphs and I've made charts on stuff, which is somewhat helpful, but since we don't have a textbook for a quick and dirty, I feel like I'm missing big picture stuff in favor of minutia. Is there a good microbio/bact text that will give me big picture stuff? I never took microbio in undergrad or grad school, so I feel kinda lost despite having done okay first block of the class.

There is a good one that we used that had different info by family of bacteria with implications and how to treat. I can't remember, but I think it was just called veterinary bacteriology by Hirsh

For clinical infectious diseases in small animals I like Greene's Infectious Diseases. It covers a lot more than just bacterial infections but it's got most of what you really need to know.