Bacterionomicon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thelemic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this is a thing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdcoremedical/the-bacterionomicon

Whether or not it will be a fun/helpful study compendium, I don't know, but I love the concept on principle, and I backed it. I also wrote to the creators to ask if they might consider adding an addendum or making a sequel aimed directly at veterinary students, and they wrote back asking what additional bacteria might be included in the book that was of particular interest to vet students. At which point I realized I wasn't sure if there were any bacteria that caused problems in animals but not in humans. All of the animal-specific issues I could think of (as someone who will be a member of the class of 2018 and doesn't really know squat, yet) were caused by protozoa, other eukaryotes or viruses.

The list of bacteria and antibiotics included in the Bacterionomicon is here: http://i.imgur.com/qht0yVj.jpg

Are there any bacteria strains not included in this list that could be suggested, because they are a strain of importance primarily only when one is treating animals?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So, this is a thing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdcoremedical/the-bacterionomicon

Whether or not it will be a fun/helpful study compendium, I don't know, but I love the concept on principle, and I backed it. I also wrote to the creators to ask if them might consider adding an addendum or making a sequel aimed directly at veterinary students, and they wrote back asking what additional bacteria might be included in the book that was of particular interest to vet students. At which point I realized I wasn't sure if there were any bacteria that caused problems in animals but not in humans. All of the animal-specific issues I could think of (as someone who will be a member of the class of 2018 and doesn't really know squat, yet) were caused by protozoa, other eukaryotes or viruses.

The list of bacteria and antibiotics included in the Bacterionomicon is here: http://i.imgur.com/qht0yVj.jpg

Are there any bacteria strains not included in this list that could be suggested, because they are a strain of importance primarily only when one is treating animals?

I'm a little freaked out that bacteria have faces and teeth....

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot more, just depends how specific you want to get. Big ones I can think of are Clostridium tetani and Clostridum botulinum.
I think thats a great idea, its always easier to remember stuff when there is a little story behind it. There are many more pathogens but I think that list minus tetanus/botulism is decent for *major* players in multiple species and zoonotic agents, encounter and presentation of disease may be different though.

I think the biggest difference between human med vs vet med would be the antimicrobial use/treatment.

Reactions: 1 user
If I had any spare money, I'd love to back this.

hah, so happy to see this! i had thought something like this would be fun to make for bacteria and viruses and for immunology, with things like specific white blood cell cards and viruses, have an immune system vs invaders type thing. cool to see someone making something like this! definitely backing it (/^_^)/

This sounds amazing! Backed it, even though I don't have a lot of dough to spare.

Great find! I love the creativity and can't wait to have it in my future waiting room for clients to peruse! Backed!

I love this idea! Insurmountably sad that nearly all of the options are sold out (including ALL of the sub-$1000 options that include the game itself), but I will definitely be backing this as well. Hopefully someone will have the game when I get to school...

To add to the bacterial list, I didn't see Corynebacterium sp. (primarily C. bovis, with the occasional C. minutissimum) on the list. I'm working in a laboratory animal setting and our mouse colonies have an outbreak from time to time.

bordetella bronchiseptica (kennel cough, feline URI, guinea pig respiratory disease)
clostridium novyii (black disease in ruminants), chauvoei (black leg in ruminants), tetani, botulinum
staph pseudintermedius (canine pyoderma, very prone to drug resistance)
chlamydophila felis (feline URI), chlamydophila psittici (parrot fever in parrots and humans)
rhodococcus equi (foal pneumonia)
strep equi zoo (new fatal canine pneumonia), strep equi equi (strangles in horses)
mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis (johne's disease in ruminants)
mannheima hemolytica (shipping fever in cattle)

Anaplasma and Ehrlichia as well.

Bumping this again because I finally received the card game that goes along with the book. Hella nerdy but I love it.

Please let us know how you like it! $40 + $12 shipping is a little much for me right now, but it is very tempting!

Haha didn't realize it was a bumped thread and so liked the OP's post and was going to reply when I realized it was from 3 years ago. Whoops :laugh:

Just got the game too! Super excited :D. My mom got the book for my brother a while back because he was premed and a video game bestiary dork, but now that he's changed his mind on his career goals, I get it! :shifty: *insert evil laugh*