Bad DAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I took the DAT a couple of weeks ago and did really terrible overall. I struggled with perceptual and quantitative reasoning mainly because of time (I ran out on both sections with 10 questions left to answer). And my other sub-scores aren't that much better. I want to apply right at the start of the next cycle, but I will most definitely have to retake it to even be considered. Also I think the reason I did so horrible is because I didn't take any practice exams, I just tried to read some of the material from the Kaplan bluebook DAT review book, and didn't get all the way through. I also did quite a few practice questions (but never a full-length under timed conditions because I had no time to). It's just this whole semester (and summer) has been busy and not in a good way (personal reasons). Plus all my exams, projects, and group events have been getting in the way of getting any proper studying done. Additionally, I've always been pretty bad at standardized tests.
But please give me some advice, if you guys can. Like when should I retake it, if I'm applying for the 2013 cycle? And how should I prepare? I really want to do dentistry but I think my score on the DAT will be a huge obstacle into doing what I want to do. And I'm really feeling down about this whole thing. Anyways, here are my stats (believe me, I know they are horrendous) :

PAT: 12:eek:
QR: 13:scared:
RC: 16:(
Bio 16 (I have no idea how this happened because I always felt confident about bio)
GC:18
OC:19
TS: 17
AA: 16 :(

My cGPA is a 3.58 and my scGPA is 3.2. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken all the classes that cover the material on the DAT yet? If not wait until then to schedule a retake. Additionally I highly recommend the study schedule that is stickied on top of the top of the forums. What I liked best about the schedule is that it ensured that I covered all the material, no topics left behind. The materials used in the schedule are top notch as well and if you follow it carefully there is no reason to think that you will not score 19+ across the board.

Thank you for the advice :)
But yes, I think I have taken all the required classes, like 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry, 2 semesters of Chemistry. For Biology, I've taken most the prerequisites for dental school except physiology and anatomy (which I think would've helped me a bit if I had). For QR and PAT, honestly didn't have time to properly practice and I always have been really bad at perceptual stuff. I noticed this when I did some practice questions. And I haven't taken math since more than 3 years, so I'm real rusty on those skills too. If I apply in June, should I retake it by April or May?

May or early June will still allow you to get your application in early. But my advice to you is only take it when you feel ready. There is no sense in taking it again only to get a 17 or 18aa. You are going to want to aim high (somewhere in the 20s) and this will take lots of preparation.

Use Topscore pro and DAT Achiever practice tests to gauge where you are at and how well you are prepared. With the scores that you received I would recommend finding a good 2 months in your schedule that you can dedicate to studying.

The last thing you want to do is take the test again unprepared or under prepared. There is a lot of helpful links in my signature that can help you get organized for studying for the DAT.

Good luck :thumbup: and feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel too bad, with little to no prep that is what a lot of us would have scored. Get a good plan going, re-take it mid to late June and get into DS.

A suggestion,

Over the next semester work through all 12 tests of DAT Math Destroyer and all 10 tests of Crack DAT PAT, multiple times if you can. This will be just a few hours a week and will really help your QR and PAT. Also, lucky for you, these are likely the least important section for a lot of schools.

Work through Cliffs AP Bio over the course of the semester.

Your GC and OC scores are really good for not having much practice, work through Chad's Videos and I bet you will get a killer score in those sections.

I would try to do all of the above during the semester and when the semester is out, go hard core for 4 weeks and take the DAT. This should include re-reading Cliff's AP Bio 1 or 2 times, re-watching Chads Videos that you need to refresh on, do 3-5 random Crack DAT PAT, and re-do tests 1-5 of the math destroyer.

Then,

Do 3-5 full length practice tests and see where you are. This will be your RC practice.

You need to get timing down, refresh math, and learn how to do PAT...then you should be fine.

Good luck!

Thank you guys so much! Very helpful advice. You have no idea how much this makes me feel better after getting those scores. I will definitely try out your guys' methods and let you know how it goes. One more question: for Crack DAT PAT, which one should I get? There are so many different packages and I don't know if I need to get the Royal Flush because it may cost too much for me to afford. I was thinking the King edition. Thanks again :)

Thank you guys so much! Very helpful advice. You have no idea how much this makes me feel better after getting those scores. I will definitely try out your guys' methods and let you know how it goes. One more question: for Crack DAT PAT, which one should I get? There are so many different packages and I don't know if I need to get the Royal Flush because it may cost too much for me to afford. I was thinking the King edition. Thanks again :)
do yourself a favor and get the cheapest one.
I bought royal flush and ended up doing none of the extra stuff. all you need is the basic 10 PAT practice tests. goodluck!

If I recall, it is the Ace edition that is 10 tests...seems to be a good amount of tests. Should be $129, but worth not doing the DAT again!

After taking the DAT, I personally think that reading my college text books really helped. I read and took detailed notes from my orgo and gen chem texts, read Cliffs AP Bio and Cliffs precalc, and used DAT destroyer as a supplement. I also bought the most expensive crack DAT package and only really used the PAT portion because I thought the other sections weren't very useful. Overall, outside of reading the books, the DAT Destroyer's Chemistry and Biology was very useful, as well as the Destroyers QT book. I wish I only bought the crack DAT PAT because i hardly used the other sections.

After taking the DAT, I personally think that reading my college text books really helped. I read and took detailed notes from my orgo and gen chem texts, read Cliffs AP Bio and Cliffs precalc, and used DAT destroyer as a supplement. I also bought the most expensive crack DAT package and only really used the PAT portion because I thought the other sections weren't very useful. Overall, outside of reading the books, the DAT Destroyer's Chemistry and Biology was very useful, as well as the Destroyers QT book. I wish I only bought the crack DAT PAT because i hardly used the other sections.

If you want to apply for 2013 - I agree shoot to take it May or June. This time really prepare don't wing it :). Improving will be easy if you put in the time! That math section can rattle you if your not ready for it so just practice - learn the blue book concepts than take a ton of practice tests....advice: be sure to REVIEW every problem you got wrong, guessed, or did not understand...Make a list of topics that your bad at ~ and learn them cold!

PAT - practice I agree crack the PAT - brought me from a 19 --> 24! Look up methods of how people do this section - find tricks and learn your own short cuts to save on time. For instance, for me I flipped to the sections i found the easiest FIRST - did those, so that I'd have enough time for the really tough ones. Triage~

The science is all about reviewing; don't get overwhelmed...make a schedule and start somewhere! gluck!

Thank you guys! All this advice is so encouraging. Will start working on your guys' suggestions and update you on how it goes. Again, thank you soooo much :)

Don't be so hurt by it. I think you'll be fine if you just study more. I got a TS and AA of 17. I'm trying not to retake the dat though.... hopefully my tactics work.

Rape the destroyer for the sciences, and the rest of the sections will improve by super repetitive practice. Not to worry. It's not how high one rises, but how high one can bounce when they hit bottom :)

Hi all,

I took the DAT a couple of weeks ago and did really terrible overall. I struggled with perceptual and quantitative reasoning mainly because of time (I ran out on both sections with 10 questions left to answer). And my other sub-scores aren't that much better. I want to apply right at the start of the next cycle, but I will most definitely have to retake it to even be considered. Also I think the reason I did so horrible is because I didn't take any practice exams, I just tried to read some of the material from the Kaplan bluebook DAT review book, and didn't get all the way through. I also did quite a few practice questions (but never a full-length under timed conditions because I had no time to). It's just this whole semester (and summer) has been busy and not in a good way (personal reasons). Plus all my exams, projects, and group events have been getting in the way of getting any proper studying done. Additionally, I've always been pretty bad at standardized tests.
But please give me some advice, if you guys can. Like when should I retake it, if I'm applying for the 2013 cycle? And how should I prepare? I really want to do dentistry but I think my score on the DAT will be a huge obstacle into doing what I want to do. And I'm really feeling down about this whole thing. Anyways, here are my stats (believe me, I know they are horrendous) :

PAT: 12:eek:
QR: 13:scared:
RC: 16:(
Bio 16 (I have no idea how this happened because I always felt confident about bio)
GC:18
OC:19
TS: 17
AA: 16 :(

My cGPA is a 3.58 and my scGPA is 3.2. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Ahhhhhhhhh. I see. I think you need to invest a lot more time into studying for the DAT. Don't apply now. Look back at your study methods and tweak it a little bit. It may be stormy now but it won't rain forever.

Ahhhhhhhhh. I see. I think you need to invest a lot more time into studying for the DAT. Don't apply now. Look back at your study methods and tweak it a little bit. It may be stormy now but it won't rain forever.

I agree with everyone. Just study a bit more for each section and you'll see a radical improvement. With Crack DAT PAT, I went from a 16 to a 25 within a few tests. Practice makes perfect. And agreed, DAT Destroyer does wonders for the science sections.