Bad DAT Scores (more than one time)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEpennypacker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I read posts here all the time and find a lot of helpful information. I also see everyones success which is very inspirational and motivating! I can't wait til I'm there! I feel like I am galaxies away :(.

I am taking my second attempt at the DAT this Thursday. I took the test in the summer and did not do well. I royally screwed up on Math because of the time. Bio (15), PAT(16), reading(17) weren't good. I got a 19, 20 on Orgo and GChem. My question is, if I don't do well on this test (well enough at least) and take it a third time - will it look bad to schools that I took the test three times in one year? I feel like the fact that my second DAT might look as bad as my first (or worse in some sections) and that taking three tests within a year would look very bad in terms of my academic skills. If I knew I couldn't do it I would stop trying but I know I can.

Man, I am not doing well right now+pissed+.

Thanks in advance! You are all awesome!

P.S. I know my other options are to wait and take it later whether in another month or during the summer. Which I am considering being that my chances of getting into a school 2012 are probably none.

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel at all that you are going to do near the same or possibly worse then DELAY your DAT. Call in now and reschedule for a much later date. It won't do you any good to take it now as this cycle is just about over (at least for those who do not have an interview scheduled).

3 times is the max you can take the DAT so if you mess this up and take it again later that will be ur last chance. The DAT test is not something you go and SEE if you can do well. If you really want to get into dental school you have to KNOW that you can do well. That way when you take the test you are just seeing how well you really can do.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean three times is the most? You mean in a year or overall? Not that I plan on taking it as often as an eye exam but just curious. I heard that you can take it many times and it will only look as bad according to each school.

You said much later, how much later? I was thinking of taking it in a month. I already have about a month under my belt and I don't want it to have been for naught. I already planned a schedule which would include Spring classes. I would be able to get in about fifty hours a week. My other plan was to take it in the summer around mid to end July and study throughout the semester about ten hours a week. What do you think will be better?

You can take it more than 3 times, you just have to petition the ADA after your third attempt, although schools dont like to see you take it a 4th time. Also, if you have distractions at the test center or feel the test center was negligent in providing the proper services, you have 5 days to submit an appeal to the ADA. If granted, that particular test score will be placed on hold and you will have a chance to repeat your last attempt, which ultimately replaces the previous score. Take your time in preparing for the DAT and look up study materials that fellow members have used to achieve their success. With enough practice, Im sure you will improve your PAT, reading, and math scores. Timing is critical on this test. Good Luck in your preparations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste an attempt. Make sure this time you kill the test! Reschedule either 1 or months away to make sure you have enough prep time to do well on the DAT.

Like Tunaman said, you can take the test more than 3 times, but it certainly won't look good.

PAT and RC are all practice, pick up CDP and CDR if you haven't and get to work on those first. Then Achiever and topscore are round 2 for prep. Instead of taking the test a third time, use your funds or more prep materials to ensure there isn't a third time.

You can definitely get good scores, don't lose hope and be patient.

Hey,
Thanks guy for your advice. I'm going to reschedule it for April 2nd! See you all on the other side. Wish me luck and lots more. :)