Bad Fall Quarter Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kangu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'll make this short. I faced a traumatic experience (eye-witnessed someone commit suicide), and this was about a week before my midterms. I ended up failing those exams because of the images that were burned into my memory that just wouldn't go away, but managed to pass my classes after pulling myself back together. How would I explain myself to dental schools since the academic update does not allow me to update the section where I could talk about my reason for doing bad this past quarter?

I only have one interview at NOVA so far, and have yet to hear from other schools. I had a 3.6 before my slip up (got a 2.7).....and now I feel that I have ruined my chances of getting into any school since I show a MAJOR dip in my grades =[

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump i guess. Over 200 views, but no one can give me advice? I'm really lost and have no idea what to do right now.

Email NOVA and explain what happened. You could wait until the last possible day to do an academic update I suppose. Or you could not do it at all. Academic update isn't required.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'll make this short. I faced a traumatic experience (eye-witnessed someone commit suicide), and this was about a week before my midterms. I ended up failing those exams because of the images that were burned into my memory that just wouldn't go away, but managed to pass my classes after pulling myself back together. How would I explain myself to dental schools since the academic update does not allow me to update the section where I could talk about my reason for doing bad this past quarter?

I only have one interview at NOVA so far, and have yet to hear from other schools. I had a 3.6 before my slip up (got a 2.7).....and now I feel that I have ruined my chances of getting into any school since I show a MAJOR dip in my grades =[

Have you gotten any acceptances yet? Whats your overall GPA now? You have to submit your grades for academic update period. Some schools like to see those.

Have you gotten any acceptances yet? Whats your overall GPA now? You have to submit your grades for academic update period. Some schools like to see those.

I have not received any acceptances yet since I have only gotten on interview (this January). My GPA now is ~3.19 at a university, from my CC before I transferred was 3.77.

Can you elaborate on the suicide? This sounds interesting. I once saw a dead splattered person outside my hi-rise apartment building minutes after he jumped out his window (the blood was fresh). But I didn't get any nightmares or fail any exams. I saw it as an interesting story to tell my friends.

I worked as an EMT all through undergrad and have seen some messed up things. Very unfortunate situation for you but your gpa still went down unfortunatley. best you can do is try to explain the situation to the school. And don't academic update.

I worked as an EMT all through undergrad and have seen some messed up things. Very unfortunate situation for you but your gpa still went down unfortunatley. best you can do is try to explain the situation to the school. And don't academic update.

My buddy used to work at a funeral home and once saw someone (not wearing a seat belt) who shattered his face/head into the windshield like it was a raw egg. After that story I always wore a seat belt.

Can you elaborate on the suicide? This sounds interesting. I once saw a dead splattered person outside my hi-rise apartment building minutes after he jumped out his window (the blood was fresh). But I didn't get any nightmares or fail any exams. I saw it as an interesting story to tell my friends.

I saw him free-fall face first to the ground from the top of a tall building.

Would it be best if I just call or email them to see if they want me to send a transcript in?

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you had to go through that. Please ignore the idiots talking about how blood and guts is cool and that your grades shouldn't be affected. There is a tremendous difference between seeing the aftermath of death and seeing it happen in front of you; anyone who cannot understand this is an idiot.

You don't need to fill out an academic update. My gut feeling is that you should not. Dental schools will certainly be understanding of your situation, but I think that if you can avoid talking about it, you should. I would email Nova, though, both to express continued interest as well as to give them a heads up about what happened.