• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Gurr8187

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
So, I wasn't ready. My first semester I failed THREE classes and got 1 C and 1 A. Yes, I know it was incredibly stuid and I'm hoping that it wont hurt me. Anyways, Im rounding out my soph. year now and I have re-taken those classes and made B's in all, and haven't made below a 3.5 since. I'm really a smart guy and I'm just kicking myself that I allowed myself to slack off that much. Im just hoping that they can see that I'm not that type of student and that I just really messed up.

I'm committed to go to Dental school and I plan on making a trip to MCG this weekend to talk to their pre-dent advisor. I spoke with my pre-dent advisor at my school and she said that it is possible with very good grades + DAT score, and that I write a letter to the school stating what happened. I'm already shadowing a dentist and getting started on that, but I'm really depressed and worried that I'm not going to be able to get in.:( Am I fooling myself? Be brutalyl honest please!

mshopeful

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
Eh... don't stress it. One semester...
As long as your grades are continually improving, you'll be fine. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat. For me, I screwed around for a couple of years =/ I'm hoping I'll be ok. Strive for those A's. Just make sure you explain yourself in the personal statement.

Gurr8187

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Lol unfortunately I haven't met many students with three F's, especially that want to be a dentist or same caliber. I just hope it doesn't back fire.

About the Ads

zthang

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If by the time you apply, your sGpa and cGpa are at least close to 3.0 and you get above 20's on Dat, I think you should be ok somewhere in the US.

eleminopee

I've got 2 infractions!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm not as optimistic as the others cuz I have one F of four credits that brings my science GPA down almost .2 points (eventhough I've done at least B+ on the rest of my science classes) so three Fs would do a good number on it. The problem comes when you get automatically filtered out in the beginning based on a lower GPA and the committee doesn't even see that you've done better. I don't know; if you got straight As from here on out and a 21+ on the DAT, i'd think you have a shot. Otherwise, based solely on the fact that there were 10k+ applicants this year and that its just going up each you, you might have a pretty hard time. good luck deciding.

Gurr8187

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Even if I go to MCG and talk to them about it in person, that way they atleast know my face and maybe could understand my story? Oh and none of the F's are pre-req's or science courses if that helps at all?

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Even if I go to MCG and talk to them about it in person, that way they atleast know my face and maybe could understand my story? Oh and none of the F's are pre-req's or science courses if that helps at all?

That does help, considering that your science GPA hasn't been affected. When you do start taking your pre-reqs, be sure to ace them and wow dental schools with a >3.4 science GPA. You're fortunate that none of your Fs are science courses! :)

maksidaa

shaniqua
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
athens. ga
Status (Visible)
do you go to UGA? if you do then start volunteering at Mercy health clinic. if not, find a clinic to volunteer at starting yesterday!
also, Mrs. Perry should help you out ALOT!
good luck

Gurr8187

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I go to Georgia.....Southern lol But yea I WISH I went to UGA, which I am a die hard dawg fan!!! I think I have a better shot at staying down here just because UGA is harder.

One other quick question...My brother is going to go back for medical school. I told him since I am doing pre-dent, I would look into transferring to Kennesaw State University, which is where he is taking his pre-med courses. I thought that it would be nice to have a helping parter...he already graduated from GaTech with an engineering degree so I think he could help me out a lot!! Do Dental schools look down upon transferring to another school? Especially since I'm not "upgrading" to a bigger school like UGA? What would some of yall do in that situation. Keep in mind that at my current university, my GPA would "look" alot better due to the grade forgiveness possibilty, if that has anything to do with it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.