bad GPA..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not have a good GPA. my cGPA: 3.2; sGPA is ~3.05. I got a LOT of B-'s and 2 C+'s early on before i was premed (first 3 semesters of college) and since then I've gotten all A's, an A-, and a single B (the next 3 semesters).

I have 2 more semesters left, if I continue to do well, do you think I have a shot??

Members don't see this ad.

What kinda MCAT score do I need to nail to get into a DO school? I don't think my GPA will be able to reach any higher than a 3.4 by the end of next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other thoughts??

how many schools should I apply to if i got a 25?
What about a 30?

No, I have not taken the MCAT yet. But I like to think ahead about things.

If you could retake some science courses and get that sGPA to 3-2-3.3 you'd be in much better shape, and more leeway MCAT wise. But yeah, 27+ at the moment I'd say.

If you could retake some science courses and get that sGPA to 3-2-3.3 you'd be in much better shape, and more leeway MCAT wise. But yeah, 27+ at the moment I'd say.

Ill be taking 14 more science credits before I graduate. All of which I expect to score no less than a B (worst case senario) and most likely A-A-'s.

I'd like to avoid retaking classes, ie: gen bio/gen chem...if possible cuz then I'd have to stay an extra semester.

id stay an extra semester over that any day of the week.

Average DO student has a 3.5/3.3. I'd say that range is the minimum for the lower tier schools. Better schools would definitely require over 30.

does anyone know where i can find out a list of the DO schools and the average MCAT vs GPA by school. I couldnt find it on the website like they have it on aamc..:(

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there arent any currently lists with those stats. The best you can do is visit each schools website, which will usually post the stats from a year or two ago. Thats sort of helpful...

also, some schools post their minimums on the CIB, which is now available to download here:

2014 CIB

does anyone know where i can find out a list of the DO schools and the average MCAT vs GPA by school. I couldnt find it on the website like they have it on aamc..:(
I posted last year's averages in the 2012 underdogs thread.

Retaking classes is much more helpful than taking upper level science classes, simply because of grade replacement. If you take a few new science classes, your sGPA will remain pretty low, even if you get A's. If you retake classes, your GPA can become totally revamped.

I posted last year's averages in the 2012 underdogs thread.

Saw this. Very helpful!

Retaking classes is much more helpful than taking upper level science classes, simply because of grade replacement. If you take a few new science classes, your sGPA will remain pretty low, even if you get A's. If you retake classes, your GPA can become totally revamped.

Very good point. Ugh..still torn on what to do...That would require and extra semester/make me apply a year after I originally intended to apply....

I hadbasically the same gpa's as you. 3.3cgpa. 3.0sGPA. Got ii's to most DO schools but was still rejected from a couple. Had a strong MCAT that saved me though. Def aim for a 30+ score...it is getting more competitive every year.

Last edited: