Bad GPA

An94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a terrible GPA (2.0) and want to get into med field. I scored a 1000 on my pre-SAT. I'm thinking about getting into Baylor University. I got commended on my Biology state exam (not sure that even matters). I'm going to take AP Bio and AP anatomy and Physiology my senior year, I am currently a junior. What are my chances of becoming an MD. I have family in the med field w/ experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Very slim. The problem you have to worry about is getting into a 4 year institution. No one is going to accept a 2.0 GPA. You might even have trouble getting into community college. What the hell did you do yo? Why is your GPA like that? Senior year does not count. No one looks at that. They only care if you fail classes your senior year, then they might rescind your acceptance. Listen, what you have to do is do well on the SAT's. Like you have to do really well and then maybe a 4 year school might accept you. I think you might have to go to community college. That is your second chance. Do well and then you can transfer to 4 year

Very slim. The problem you have to worry about is getting into a 4 year institution. No one is going to accept a 2.0 GPA. You might even have trouble getting into community college. What the hell did you do yo? Why is your GPA like that? Senior year does not count. No one looks at that. They only care if you fail classes your senior year, then they might rescind your acceptance. Listen, what you have to do is do well on the SAT's. Like you have to do really well and then maybe a 4 year school might accept you. I think you might have to go to community college. That is your second chance. Do well and then you can transfer to 4 year
Guess I'm joining the Marines

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah dude. You can get into a 4 year institution if you do well your senior year. Worst comes to worst.. go to a community college for a year, then transfer to a 4-year institution. Make sure you keep your GPA above a 3.5, do well on the MCAT, and have plenty of community involvement - you will be fine.

The game is still far from over. Just get your head right and learn from your mistakes moving forward.

as above, with straight C's in high school and likely a 50th percentile SAT your next steps would likely be junior/community college for a couple years followed by transfer into a 4-year university that accepts the credits to finish your degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah dude. You can get into a 4 year institution if you do well your senior year. Worst comes to worst.. go to a community college for a year, then transfer to a 4-year institution. Make sure you keep your GPA above a 3.5, do well on the MCAT, and have plenty of community involvement - you will be fine.

The game is still far from over. Just get your head right and learn from your mistakes moving forward.
Yes sir!
as above, with straight C's in high school and likely a 50th percentile SAT your next steps would likely be junior/community college for a couple years followed by transfer into a 4-year university that accepts the credits to finish your degree.
Well, I did good in my core classes through freshman and sophomore. I scored all As in math and science freshman year and sophomore. I messed up big time junior year. So do colleges look at GPA alone or transcripts?

So do colleges look at GPA alone or transcripts?

College admissions look at your GPA and your transcript; they interpret your application holistically.

Hey dude, I am a junior, I am actually taking Anatomy and Physiology and AP Bio right now, and my GPA is also terrible. (Like, terrible) I am with you, we are both on the same boat. If you want to talk, private message. I also have dreams of becoming a doctor, and am struggling as well. Good luck my friend!

Take a gap year before college. Seems like you have some learning/growing to do before you risk a low college GPA

You'll get into college. HS has no effect on your chances of medical school admissions. The key here is to make a drastic change during that summer before you start college. If you want to get into a US medical school, you pretty much have to get straight A's and B+'s. It can be done. You're young and you can adapt.

Just realize that if you screw up in college, it is almost near impossible to fix. Just keep that in mind.

They send out acceptances in the Spring of your senior year so I don't know how they will get around to looking at your grades. Maybe you should apply one year later than everyone else so they will actually look at that

The question isn't if those stats in his can keep you from med school, the question is can/will you change the habits/abilities that got you those stats....

Reactions: 2 users
Like what aformerstudent posted, how you did in HS does not affect medical school admissions. The problem will be changing your habits to do well in college. I would recommend starting at a community or state college if you do not get into a 4-year university due to low GPA then transfer after 1-2 yrs. If you do get into a 4 year university, really work on your study habits and do well in all your courses to have the best chances for a medical school acceptance.

Yes, you get a clean slate for med school. Applicants who do something great in high school also start over. I volunteered for 250+ hours in a hospital the summer between high school and college and it won't be going on my college application. Learn how to study and get a clear goal in mind for your GPA: average matriculant (entering class) GPA for med schools was 3.70, an A- average. Remember that in college, an A and an A- are different things!

Applicant and Matriculant Data: Applicants and Matriculants Data - FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC
Applicant and Matriculant Data (GPA): https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf