Bad Grade Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JacksonInTheBox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ive been looking at my grades since Im about to apply in summer and I notice something.

Every fall semester GPA I averaged about 3.3 - 3.4
Every Spring semester GPA averaged about 3.7 - 3.8

I got an overall GPA of 3.62s

Is this a big problem? I dont plan on applying to the best MDs but I do want to apply MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Every fall semester GPA I averaged about 3.3 - 3.4
Every Spring semester GPA averaged about 3.7 - 3.8

Interesting....

Sounds like a research problem to me.....

The mathematician says work on developing a mathematical model.
The biologist says attribute it to variables in your living environment.

As to the question:
Overall GPA of 3.6 is pretty good.

Interesting....

Sounds like a research problem to me.....

The mathematician says work on developing a mathematical model.
The biologist says attribute it to variables in your living environment.

As to the question:
Overall GPA of 3.6 is pretty good.

Im pretty sure I know why my fall grades suck so much. I play intercolligate football as well. I keep reading that med schools like to see upward trends in grades. how would they view my grade trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty sure I know why my fall grades suck so much. I play intercolligate football as well. I keep reading that med schools like to see upward trends in grades. how would they view my grade trend.
Hi Jackson. I think the upward trend is mainly for people with low GPA's. So like if you have 3.4 or 3.5, then they like to see the upward trend. In your case, 3.6 is pretty good so I don't think they will pay too much attention to the upward trend thing, although I am not an adcom and these are just speculations. I think we both just have to get super super good MCATs to compensate for our gpas.

Honestly, I found your grade trend interesting. I would think they may be interested as well (but NeuroChaos is an ordinary guy, not an Adcom, so who knows!)

I would say if you get an opportunity explain that I have more responsiblites during fall. PS may not be the good place to do it. May be in secondaries or interview.

But IMO, you will be fine w/ an overall of 3.62.

ur sGPA will also play a role. what is ur sGPA?

Honestly, I found your grade trend interesting. I would think they may be interested as well (but NeuroChaos is an ordinary guy, not an Adcom, so who knows!)

I would say if you get an opportunity explain that I have more responsiblites during fall. PS may not be the good place to do it. May be in secondaries or interview.

But IMO, you will be fine w/ an overall of 3.62.

ur sGPA will also play a role. what is ur sGPA?

My sGPA is a bit better at 3.7

dont worry too much just keep in mind that you have to keep your GPA high

i think if someone were actually going to analyze your grades in hopes of finding a trend, this person would use a function that produces oscillating values, such as sine/cosine. however, depending on the actual values, there MAY be an upward/downward trend overall; in this case, a person could probably use a seventh/eighth degree polynomial equation. but, if limited to the use of a straight line to fit the data, the slope of this trendline would be pretty near zero, with a y-intercept of about 3.62.

in other words: your grades are good, and the football/other obligations may offer adequate explanation for the variation between fall/spring semesters. i doubt anyone will read into it more than that.