BAD GRADE :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLAZO121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my final exam result for calculus, and after calculating my final grade, I found out that I will being receiving a "D" without the curve, but with the curve either a "C-" or a "C"

This semester I have straight As except for Calc, and I expect to get straight As next semester (solid classes)

-Would this tremendously affect my chances at getting in Harvard Dental?

-I really want a scholarship when I apply to dental school in four years (dreaming about the one at UCLA), can I be disqualified for this grade?

-If i retake, should i retake over the summer? Should I even retake??

Members don't see this ad.

nah, with a good overall cumulative GPA, your chance is still good at Touro Dental. It will open its door waiting for you.

Harvard and UCLA, i can't say. but a dental school is a dental school

Anywhere else and I'd tell you that it doesn't really affect your chances at all, but Harvard (unless you're a URM) is pretty anal about having a near perfect GPA.

As for scholarships, those are pretty hard to come by for dental school and I wouldn't count on one regardless of stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@FeralisExtremum Im egyptian, so i don't know if that would count as an URM. I contacted the program director at Harvard Medical Schools summer research program for URMs and she said that Egyptian would mean that I am URM, but thats a debate for later. I do have other hooks though, like I'm a first gen student.

Should I retake Calculus? If I take it over the summer would it be ok?

What about the scholarship at UPenn Dental??

You'd be considered Caucasian. Plus I doubt being a first generation student helps. Both of my parents are from Iraq and I have good stats but received no scholarships so I wouldn't count on it.

So what are "hooks" besides ethnicity?

I just went through undergrad admissions and being a first gen student was a big hook for me...

So what are "hooks" besides ethnicity?

I just went through undergrad admissions and being a first gen student was a big hook for me...
Don't try to get in with a "hook". First gen might help (I have no idea), but you still have so much time to work on your accomplishments, which are even better hooks because you can talk about them and you worked for them. The reason URM helps is because it shows you may be more likely to practice in an underserved area. Are you willing to practice in an underserved or impoverished area? Show them! Go volunteer a lot. Like, a lot. That was my main "hook". I love volunteering; I do it all the time. When asked about it, I can talk about it for so long and you can tell that I'm genuine. Or, if that's not your cup of tea, find some activity you really like. Maybe you play the tuba. Awesome. Go play the **** out of that tuba for the next few years and show the admissions committees how much commitment you have to something you enjoy.

Also, you just cannot be worrying about Harvard Dental and Penn Dental right now. I know they sound fancy and stuff, but you'll just go crazy, especially if you dream of them now and don't get in. Just study for your classes, do as well as you can, and do get a great DAT score. Who knows? You may realize you hate research and Harvard just isn't for you. It sure doesn't mean you're not good enough to be a dentist, just means it wasn't the right fit for you and that is okay. I promise.

Reactions: 2 users
You will not score URM points as an Egyptian.

Don't try to get in with a "hook". First gen might help (I have no idea), but you still have so much time to work on your accomplishments, which are even better hooks because you can talk about them and you worked for them. The reason URM helps is because it shows you may be more likely to practice in an underserved area. Are you willing to practice in an underserved or impoverished area? Show them! Go volunteer a lot. Like, a lot. That was my main "hook". I love volunteering; I do it all the time. When asked about it, I can talk about it for so long and you can tell that I'm genuine. Or, if that's not your cup of tea, find some activity you really like. Maybe you play the tuba. Awesome. Go play the **** out of that tuba for the next few years and show the admissions committees how much commitment you have to something you enjoy.

Also, you just cannot be worrying about Harvard Dental and Penn Dental right now. I know they sound fancy and stuff, but you'll just go crazy, especially if you dream of them now and don't get in. Just study for your classes, do as well as you can, and do get a great DAT score. Who knows? You may realize you hate research and Harvard just isn't for you. It sure doesn't mean you're not good enough to be a dentist, just means it wasn't the right fit for you and that is okay. I promise.
This, this is the reason I tell my love ones I didnt apply to Harvard.

To tell the truth, I'm just not qualified. Lol

Reactions: 1 users