Bad grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

50dent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My freshman year- Community College - 3.5 gpa
My sophmore year- University - 1.66 gpa(not factored with community college gpa)

I am retaking 4 classes from my sophmore year including biology(D+) &
chemistry(C). I have 2 F's on my transcript.. Drama Appreciation and Spanish I .. partying 3-4 times a week= reason grades are bad..

My question- I heard that dental schools will average the two grades when I retake a class.. this will be an uphill battle for me to gain acceptance to a Dental School but how "uphill" would you say from what info you have?

I live in North Carolina and Eastern Carolina University in Greenville is in the process of building a new Dental school which will accept 50 in-state students a year..

I am willing to do a post-bacc program at my university if need be.. If I can manage to bring my gpa up to a 3, do average on DAT's, shadow, volunteer,and do well in a 1 year post bacc program... I believe I have a good shot? I guess im just looking for some reassurance..but does all of this sound about right? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

50dent said:
My freshman year- Community College - 3.5 gpa
My sophmore year- University - 1.66 gpa(not factored with community college gpa)

I am retaking 4 classes from my sophmore year including biology(D+) &
chemistry(C). I have 2 F's on my transcript.. Drama Appreciation and Spanish I .. partying 3-4 times a week= reason grades are bad..

My question- I heard that dental schools will average the two grades when I retake a class.. this will be an uphill battle for me to gain acceptance to a Dental School but how "uphill" would you say from what info you have?

I live in North Carolina and Eastern Carolina University in Greenville is in the process of building a new Dental school which will accept 50 in-state students a year..

I am willing to do a post-bacc program at my university if need be.. If I can manage to bring my gpa up to a 3, do average on DAT's, shadow, volunteer,and do well in a 1 year post bacc program... I believe I have a good shot? I guess im just looking for some reassurance..but does all of this sound about right? Thanks

You definitely have an uphill battle ahead. First, stop listening to 50 Cent. Second, get all those grades up, cover all bases in terms of DAT, shadowing, etc... Work your ass off, dent schools love to see an improving trend. Good luck [insert lame smiley of your liking]

what u got against 50cent? i listen to 50 cent..and i kno many ppl who listens to 50 cent and got into dental school.... don't change ur music genre...but change ur study habits/ and party less and u'll make it... believe me :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
rchuloholla said:
what u got against 50cent? i listen to 50 cent..and i kno many ppl who listens to 50 cent and got into dental school.... don't change ur music genre...but change ur study habits/ and party less and u'll make it... believe me :idea:

Good point.

On second thought, give your personal statement a title, how about "Get Rich or Die Tryin'".

Open with an anecdote about growing up in the hood and not being able to afford grills(z). Then slip into how you're a businessman (drug-dealer) and entrepreneuring is your forte'. End with how you want to roll on dubs and specialize in giving grills to your brothers. Also you might want to quote 50 "I'm that cat by the bar toasting to the good life, you that ****** ass n**** trying to pull me back right?" The ****** ass n**** would be the adcoms, of course.

Good luck.

haha i dont really listen to 50 cent..i just thought the whole 50dent name was funny... anyway thanks for the replies

50dent said:
haha i dont really listen to 50 cent..i just thought the whole 50dent name was funny... anyway thanks for the replies

Haha, I actually thought you probably didn't listen to 50cent, judging from your avatar.

I've talked to my pre-dent advisor and im registered to retake alot of classes this next semester. Im trying to get a job in the a dental lab near my campus too. Thanks again for the replies

I was listening to a lot of 50 Cent during the semester where I made the one and only C in my college career.

That dude is bad fo yo grades.

The Wop said:
Haha, I actually thought you probably didn't listen to 50cent, judging from your avatar.

lol

50dent said:

Hey, I got a chuckle out of it too - thought it was pretty original! [Insert real smiley face here] - :)