Bad Idea? (Personal Statement)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I really think that if adcoms see my upcoming semesters grades they would have a very different outlook on my application. Anyone think it would be a bad idea to somehow incorporate this into my personal statement? All I want is to not be be rejected before I can update my application with the new grades, which would of course be in december.

Members don't see this ad.

I really think that if adcoms see my upcoming semesters grades they would have a very different outlook on my application. Anyone think it would be a bad idea to somehow incorporate this into my personal statement? All I want is to not be be rejected before I can update my application with the new grades, which would of course be in december.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but what if your grades don't end up as good as you think they'll be? It doesn't sound like a good idea to reference something on your behalf if it hasn't actually occurred yet.

I would just send them updates periodically next year with your performance in the Fall or around that time with a general statement saying that your new classes are going great.

Chances are that if a school is going to screen you out for your GPA, they'll screen you out regardless of what your PS says about your grades.

One semester of grades won't turn a 3.2 into a 3.9.

So don't bother.

Members don't see this ad :)

There's a big difference between wanting good grades and getting good grades.

Didn't you try/want to try and get good grades the last 6 semesters? It's a lot harder when the time rolls around to perform.

Cegar is also very right.

Don't address something that hasn't even begun yet, I'd like to cure cancer but an adcom won't be impressed if I tell them I'm going to start curing it in december.

It should go without saying that you're going to be getting good grades and continuing any upward trends this semester while you're applying.

You can send update letters and transcripts when it happens to show that you did, but to predict it without any basis would be a bad idea and a waste of application space.

If you´re sure you´re getting straight As, you can write the ADCOMs an Email/short letter and ask them not to review your application until your next semester grades arrive. For that matter, you could just wait a little on submiting your application (I assume we´re talking about a summer semester here).

I´d guess that the grades wont make as much difference as the early app, though. Unless you´re taking 21 hours and getting all As, I´d just submit. Personal opinion, though. Definitely don´t talk about your next semesters grades in your personal statement.