Bad idea to apply to Masters and DDS Programs @ same school & time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying in 2009, next cycle. Was wondering if it was a bad idea for me to apply to the Master programs for Barry, BU, and Nova if I plan on applying to their DDS programs five months afterward.

Also, how do those schools compare to Midwestern and Barry's program? Is the Barry 2-year program "weak" - I've read from some that D schools don't really take it seriously because it is much more dilute compared with the 1-year counterpart, which I hear isn't even as hard as Nova's. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

good question.

I applied to dental school twice. The first time was before my MS - REJECTED. The 2nd was after my MS - 4 acceptances.

Ok. So when I applied the first time I knew my chances were not good so I also applied for an accelerated MS program at a school where I was applying for DS. I was not even invited for a single interview the first year I applied, however I did have a few meetings with adcoms for advice. At the school where I applied to DS/MS the adcom said that it actually HELPED my applicaton stand out. He said that is showed my dedication to not "become stagnant" as he put it. He said it showed a person interrested in "lifelong learning."

OK. That being said, he also said this: That they would like to HOLD OFF reviewing my application until after I finished the MS.

So in the end I am not sure if the MS hurt my chances the first year, however I KNOW it HELPED ME A GREAT DEAL, my second year applying.

Sorry for the rambling non-conclusive answer.

Does anyone have any more advice or input? I'm deciding whether or not to do UMDNJ and Nova.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any more advice or input? I'm deciding whether or not to do UMDNJ and Nova.

Can you apply while you're in the midst of completing your Master's Degree? For example, if you're in the second year of a 2 year Master's program, can you apply? In this case, you will be finished your Master's before matriculation. Or do you need to be completely finished the Master's degree before you even apply?

when should I apply for MS? I am really afraid I am not gonna get into any dental school since I applyed too late, I need a back up...

I am doing it right now... they are under two different departments and have entirely separate admissions committees. I have had to send my DAT scores twice to the same school (one to the dental school admissions office and one to masters program admissions office). Think of it as two separate entities. Even if they do ask, just be honest about it.

I am doing it right now... they are under two different departments and have entirely separate admissions committees. I have had to send my DAT scores twice to the same school (one to the dental school admissions office and one to masters program admissions office). Think of it as two separate entities. Even if they do ask, just be honest about it.
for what master r u applying that requires DAT score?