1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Bad interview experience ...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dent2B_SM, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Dent2B_SM

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Alright guys I need your help..

So I had my first ever interview at dental school and I'm not feeling so hot.. I feel like I blew it completely :( It was a group interview and I felt like I could not get my point across at all.. I was extremely stressed out and nervous.I had so much going in my mind. For example, while I was answering a question I would constantly be telling myself (in my head) to pull it together and calm down resulting in a terrible answer that probably didn't even make sense :/ .. I was just wondering if any of you had a similar experience at in interview and what the outcome was. Were you still accepted/rejected after bad interview experience

Thank you all !

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 2THDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    oh man...this makes me nervous already..even though I don't even have any interview lined up..

4. jeffity

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I had 2 bad interviews. I knew I was not getting in. Sure enough, those were the two interviews I didn't get accepted. Sort of a bad personality mismatch and me not adjusting to it. I also thought my temple video sucked, but they accepted me anyway.

Dent2B_SM likes this.
  5. 2THDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    temple video? Is it like supplemental video you upload before interview? doesn't maryland do similar thing? or is it optional?

6. jeffity

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Interview day doesn't consist of sitting and being interviewed by an actual person. You get the info and tour and writing sample and stuff, then it's you and a video camera for 3-5 minutes. And some undergrad running it. Admissions committee can watch them later.

7. yani83

Pre-Dental
    this makes me really nervous….My first interview is next week at LECOM :help:

8. Rambunctious

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sorry to hear that, @Dent2B_SM . Just try to relax in your next interview. Treat it like a normal conversation with your friends/parents/etc. I hope the best for you in your future interviews.

Dent2B_SM likes this.
  9. 2THDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

ugh, sounds worse than traditional person-to-person interview..

10. Dental2000

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Regarding LECOM, How many LORs did you submit? Were they all science profs.?

11. derbear

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Keep your head up! Live and learn...that's what life is all about ;).

Dent2B_SM and yani83 like this.
  12. shyfox9p

Pre-Podiatry
    You need to practice the different ways to buy you time while answering a question.

13. free99

Moderator Dentist 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Keep in mind, I think we tend to be more critical of ourselves than the interviewers are of us.

I had two interviews last year that I felt like I totally blew, but ended up being accepted at both. At UCSF we had this ridiculous writing assignment, where we were asked to respond to a quote; I read the quote probably 10 times and had no idea what it was saying and, feeling the pressure of the time constraints, ended up writing some ridiculous, nonsensical response fit for a third grader. I left so dejected, feeling like I ruined a great day of interviewing with an atrocious essay at the end. Either the writing assignment didn't matter much in the admissions algorithm, or it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, but I was accepted there on 12/3.

So my point is that we don't always perceive our performance accurately, and what may seem like a terrible interview to you could be a reasonably good interview to the faculty. Keep you head up, try to be confident and calm, and treat your next interview like you're speaking with a distant family friend at a party. The faculty are just normal people, and they want you to succeed.

#12 free99, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  14. yani83

Pre-Dental
    just 4 letters of recommendation, 3 were from science professors and the 4th one was from the dentist who i shadow :)

15. yani83

Pre-Dental
    Thank you!!! this really helps! I feel more relaxed now, lets see how it goes and hope they like me :)

Dent2B_SM likes this.
  16. Blake1e

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Meditation could really help.

#15 Blake1e, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014