Bad interview experience ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent2B_SM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I need your help..

So I had my first ever interview at dental school and I'm not feeling so hot.. I feel like I blew it completely :( It was a group interview and I felt like I could not get my point across at all.. I was extremely stressed out and nervous.I had so much going in my mind. For example, while I was answering a question I would constantly be telling myself (in my head) to pull it together and calm down resulting in a terrible answer that probably didn't even make sense :/ .. I was just wondering if any of you had a similar experience at in interview and what the outcome was. Were you still accepted/rejected after bad interview experience

Thank you all !

Members don't see this ad.

oh man...this makes me nervous already..even though I don't even have any interview lined up..

Reactions: 3 users
I had 2 bad interviews. I knew I was not getting in. Sure enough, those were the two interviews I didn't get accepted. Sort of a bad personality mismatch and me not adjusting to it. I also thought my temple video sucked, but they accepted me anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had 2 bad interviews. I knew I was not getting in. Sure enough, those were the two interviews I didn't get accepted. Sort of a bad personality mismatch and me not adjusting to it. I also thought my temple video sucked, but they accepted me anyway.

temple video? Is it like supplemental video you upload before interview? doesn't maryland do similar thing? or is it optional?

temple video? Is it like supplemental video you upload before interview? doesn't maryland do similar thing? or is it optional?

Interview day doesn't consist of sitting and being interviewed by an actual person. You get the info and tour and writing sample and stuff, then it's you and a video camera for 3-5 minutes. And some undergrad running it. Admissions committee can watch them later.

this makes me really nervous….My first interview is next week at LECOM :help:

Sorry to hear that, @Dent2B_SM . Just try to relax in your next interview. Treat it like a normal conversation with your friends/parents/etc. I hope the best for you in your future interviews.

Interview day doesn't consist of sitting and being interviewed by an actual person. You get the info and tour and writing sample and stuff, then it's you and a video camera for 3-5 minutes. And some undergrad running it. Admissions committee can watch them later.

ugh, sounds worse than traditional person-to-person interview..

Keep your head up! Live and learn...that's what life is all about ;).

Reactions: 1 users
You need to practice the different ways to buy you time while answering a question.

Keep in mind, I think we tend to be more critical of ourselves than the interviewers are of us.

I had two interviews last year that I felt like I totally blew, but ended up being accepted at both. At UCSF we had this ridiculous writing assignment, where we were asked to respond to a quote; I read the quote probably 10 times and had no idea what it was saying and, feeling the pressure of the time constraints, ended up writing some ridiculous, nonsensical response fit for a third grader. I left so dejected, feeling like I ruined a great day of interviewing with an atrocious essay at the end. Either the writing assignment didn't matter much in the admissions algorithm, or it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, but I was accepted there on 12/3.

So my point is that we don't always perceive our performance accurately, and what may seem like a terrible interview to you could be a reasonably good interview to the faculty. Keep you head up, try to be confident and calm, and treat your next interview like you're speaking with a distant family friend at a party. The faculty are just normal people, and they want you to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Regarding LECOM, How many LORs did you submit? Were they all science profs.?
just 4 letters of recommendation, 3 were from science professors and the 4th one was from the dentist who i shadow :)

Keep in mind, I think we tend to be more critical of ourselves than the interviewers are of us.

I had two interviews last year that I felt like I totally blew, but ended up being accepted at both. At UCSF we had this ridiculous writing assignment, where we were asked to respond to a quote; I read the quote probably 10 times and had no idea what it was saying and, feeling the pressure of the time constraints, ended up writing some ridiculous, nonsensical response fit for a third grader. I left so dejected, feeling like I ruined a great day of interviewing with an atrocious essay at the end. Either the writing assignment didn't matter much in the admissions algorithm, or it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, but I was accepted there on 12/3.

So my point is that we don't always perceive our performance accurately, and what may seem like a terrible interview to you could be a reasonably good interview to the faculty. Keep you head up, try to be confident and calm, and treat your next interview like you're speaking with a distant family friend at a party. The faculty are just normal people, and they want you to succeed.
Thank you!!! this really helps! I feel more relaxed now, lets see how it goes and hope they like me :)

Meditation could really help.

Last edited: