Bad Interview Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sidalexis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this question by saying that I am very fortunate to have a few acceptances to schools and I realize that I am in the position to be more picky. However, I recently interviewed at a school and found the experience was so bad that I want to withdraw my name from consideration for admission. The question is whether I should contact the dean of admissions, who seemed to be the most down to earth person ever, and tell him why I'm withdrawing my application. I'm only considering this because I think that other people who experience a similar interview day will not want to attend this school.

For example:

The tour, which was not given by a student, seemed more to show off new additions to the campus than to give an idea of student life. We were not shown classrooms, library, study areas, or even the cafeteria. Instead we viewed a new research lab and went to a hill where the interviewer could point to the buildings that held the aforementioned areas.

Also, lunch with the students was intimidating and frankly made me feel unwelcome. They sat at a table in front of us, taking notes on the questions that we were "free to ask," and then proceeded to share some inside joke about us as they whispered and giggled while looking at us. There were several times I thought about just getting up and walking out without being interviewed.

I feel like the dean really should know about my experience to prevent others from having a similar one. Should I call or email him? Is this an appropriate approach? I really feel that I should respectfully inform him.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that you should contact the dean. I can't imagine anyone who would want to go there.