1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad move?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by fever106, Jul 26, 2011.

1. fever106

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So I am currently a second year internal medicine resident. I have decided that I would really like to stay on and do a chief year. However, my program director and everyone else thinks (as I did, up until recently) that I would be trying to move onto fellowship directly after third year. Is it appropriate to schedule a meeting with the PD now, early in the process, to let him know about my new goal? Or do I need to wait to actually be asked? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have a perverse desire to regularly experience the rare (but well documented in IM residency programs) phenomenon of sh!t rolling uphill, then by all means, make your desire to be a chief resident known sooner rather than later.

The competitiveness of the position varies from program to program and you'll have a better idea of that than anyone on SDN will but it can't hurt to talk to the current chiefs to get their take on the situation. They may also be able to give you an idea of whether there are others interested or being considered at this point and how you compare to them.

But when you get that 14th email nastygram from an MS3 complaining about their evaluation/schedule/resident/intern/co-MS3/SubI/nurses/patients/Shelf grade/attending/call room and then asking if you could put in a good word for them with the PD/Chair, you will likely wonder what you were thinking at this very moment.

4. fever106

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know the job comes with headaches, but my program is actually very resident friendly, and there seems to be less of the annoying crap than with many other programs. That being said, I know there will be pros and cons to the position. My question was more along the lines of is it appropriate to meet with my PD and tell him I would like to be considered for the position. Or is that too forward? Should I wait to be asked, if they want me?

5. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Which I answered.

6. Groove

Groove Member
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just want to say that you IM guys are saints for wanting to spend an extra year as chief resident. It's hard enough for me to fathom wanting to be a chief my last year of residency after dealing with enough management/administrative headaches in my previous career, let alone staying on an entire extra year for the luxury. I say go for it. Approach your PD, what's the harm?