Bad OB Evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juggernuts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had OB during the month of studying for boards, so I admit I didn't give it a 100%, but I was always on time, knew my suff, and was always interested in the patient. The OB attending (we don't have residents or interns), passed me but gave me a horrible eval, stating the I had a poor knowledge base, poor communication skills etc, when this is the only rotation I have EVER gotten that on. I plan on applying to internal medicine can anyone help me with how this will affect my residency apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry - it sounds like you just got unlucky. I got my eval back from my first rotation and two attendings at the same clinic gave me totally different ratings, even though I performed the same. Sounds like bad luck to me. At least you're not planning to go into ob/gyn - shouldn't matter too much if you did well in IM and the rest. Good luck.

You passed right? Shouldn't affect IM residency diddly squat, unless you're trying to match at one of the upper crust places. Then it might matter. But not a whole lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
so long as you do fine the rest of the year, it won't matter at all.

i had basically the same thing happen (only passed and the entire eval pretty much said how much i sucked) and then without changing anything (since we didn't get evals back until months after rotations are over) i high passed or honored every single other course.

didn't affect residency placement at all.

Your school is not going to put unfavorable comments in a dean's letter.
Should be fine.

Your school is not going to put unfavorable comments in a dean's letter.
Should be fine.

Are you sure about this? The way I heard was that they summerize your overall performance, including the highs and lows. I can't get a straight answer from our admin though. ymmv.

Are you sure about this? The way I heard was that they summerize your overall performance, including the highs and lows. I can't get a straight answer from our admin though. ymmv.

It depends on the school. Some dean's offices selectively pick out comments, where others just quote out random things, no matter what they say. You should ask a recently graduated 4th year (i.e. an intern) if you know any.

my school quotes word for word what evals said. so just make sure!

Ooh. Maybe I'm lucky at my medical school that the deans said they wouldn't put anything unfavorable in our MSPE. We also get to view our letters (can't make changes or anything) this fall so that should be interesting. :D

Yeah in my meeting for the dean's letter, my one negative comment was never mentioned or added. More than likely, it will be the same case for most.
Besides, it shouldn't matter if the rest of your comments are positive. The residency committees aren't robots and will understand the differences between attending comments and your overall pattern.

You're trying to apply for IM which means not incredibly competitive and there are a lot of spots to match to so relax and don't worry.