bad organic grade..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allaboutteeth5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have to figure out what you did wrong when studying and come up with a solution to never make that error again. Ive experimented with quite a few ways of studying in terms of time efficiency and retention of material I found making my own practice tests yielded the best results. What I do now is write an outline for the class notes and/or textbook, then write my own test with easy and hard questions. Few other things I do now is remind myself of the reasons I need to succeed to keep me motivated, build a habit out of studying (so doing it doesnt take as much effort to start), and also the pomodoro technique (google it) if distraction is a problem.

If you can take orgo 2 in the spring despite the D+ in orgo 1 then I say do it. However be sure to retake orgo 1 and do much better; maybe take it in the summer if your school offers it.

Usually people take orgo 1 and 2 during sophomore year and then take the DAT in the summer after sophomore year so they have a lot of free time to prepare for it. Unless you think you can pull it off I suggest not taking the DAT during the spring semester and instead take a month or 2 in the summer to study then do the DAT somewhere in between late July and late August. I took my DAT the 1st time a couple of days after finals and I didnt do as well as I wanted to. I retook and made sure I had plenty of free time to devote to it and as a result got the scores in my sig below. If you decide to take the DAT in the summer and apply this coming cycle you can send in your app in june (when apps open up) but it will be on hold until your scores are in, so you wont be an early applicant but you also wont be a late one either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Unfortunately I go to a small campus so organic 1 is only offered in the fall. No organic over the summer. So because of this should I still apply this next cycle because I will retake it next fall. I'm soo disappointed I got a D+ I never thought that would happen to me ): I feel more motivated than ever to excel in my classes to brush that off

Okay, retake orgo 1 next fall. When you take orgo 2 youll have to to do much better bc it is covered on the DAT. If you follow my suggestion of taking the DAT sometime in between late July to late August, youll have at least 2 months to devote solely to studying the DAT. More than enough time to master orgo, including all of orgo 1. Test yourself on the orgo with a practice from one of the DAT study materials you bought. If youre happy with your practice score go through with the test, if not reschedule it.

After the test day if you like your DAT results then go to AADSAS and start completing the application (make sure you have LoRs & everything else already gathered) and again you wont be early nor late. If you dont like your scores schedule a retake and apply the following cycle. If you scored well overall and did well in orgo section (22+) and have on your transcript that youre registered for orgo 1 retake next semester I believe youll do more than fine if you apply this june.

Okay, retake orgo 1 next fall. When you take orgo 2 youll have to to do much better bc it is covered on the DAT. If you follow my suggestion of taking the DAT sometime in between late July to late August, youll have at least 2 months to devote solely to studying the DAT. More than enough time to master orgo, including all of orgo 1. Test yourself on the orgo with a practice from one of the DAT study materials you bought. If youre happy with your practice score go through with the test, if not reschedule it.

After the test day if you like your DAT results then go to AADSAS and start completing the application (make sure you have LoRs & everything else already gathered) and again you wont be early nor late. If you dont like your scores schedule a retake and apply the following cycle. If you scored well overall and did well in orgo section (22+) and have on your transcript that youre registered for orgo 1 retake next semester I believe youll do more than fine if you apply this june.
Thanks so much! I have started studying for the DAT and watching chads videos and I feel like they're a lot of help. Ill have to make sure I can take orgo 2 with my grade but it hasn't kicked me out of the class so I'm guessing I can