bad pr for lecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mz.Doctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why do ppl complain so much about lecom, what are the negatives about it, i'm thinking about going to lecome-bradenton...any opinions...

Members don't see this ad.

Mz.Doctor said:
why do ppl complain so much about lecom, what are the negatives about it, i'm thinking about going to lecome-bradenton...any opinions...

I interviewed there a few years ago (Erie). Some things may have changed, but my biggest concerns were:

The school closed at like 10pm... and since late night studying is a necessary evil in med school... I don’t understand the schools logic.

No food or drink in classes... may be fine w/ some people but def not for me...

Mandatory classes... Some lecturers suck... some subjects are understood best by reading a book instead of listening to a lecturer... and still having to read the same book. I can read the note service transcript quicker and understand it better than when listening to the lecture.

Mandatory dress code... I agree that we are all prof. and will have to dress accordingly for the rest of our careers, but the comfort factor is a big deal for me. Med school is stressful enough without these added stressors.

I just didn’t like the Erie campus. Yes it was new but I thought it was cramped and depressing. The cramped factor may be due to the huge class size, and the fact that they share the building w/ other schools. This was not a huge factor for me... but still.

The people I met seemed unfriendly. I probably just caught them on a bad week, but they were not friendly, not talkative or informative and that was a turn off.

On a positive note, I did like that they have three distinct tracts that play on students individual strengths... the only problem is that you have to pre-select your tract and are not allowed to switch if you feel you made a mistake.

These are just my oppinions... I encourage you to come to your own conclusions.

from what ive read.the reason why lecom-bradenton is bad is because it is a brand spranking new school..and have yet to graduate a class ..therefore people are scared when it comes to clinical affiliations..and match lists..Plus the school is really only 1 building..however..ppl dont complain about the location in florida..even though ive read that people say there are a lot of "old people" in bradenton...As for the positives..people view the Problem-based learning approach very positively upon..but this is dependent solely on personal preference..If it were me..i would be scared to learn in that approach..im more of a traditional learner.

This is all hearsay.since i have not actually been to bradenton..hope this helps somewhat

Members don't see this ad :)
I love these LECOM bashing threads... :laugh:

I don't know how many times I can say this.. but not any one med school is perfect for everyone. LECOM is not perfect for everyone, but neither is John Hopkins or Yale.

You also have to realize that you don't have to go to class at LECOM-E if you don't want to- just sign up for the independent curriculum.

Also, I wear a tie everyday anyway and it's all I have in my wardrobe so the dress code doesn't bother me. Anyways, it drives me insane when people (I've especially noticed this in women) wear their workout clothes/sweat pants/wind suits every day because they are supposedly too stressed to change. Contrary to popular belief, dressing well helps you psychologically.

Sure LECOM is shared with the pharm. school but that is cool not just being around med students all the time. And I never once spent a night studying in the library so I could care less how early the school closes. If you need a quiet place to study, there are many places in the surrounding LECOM area where you can go and study. LECOM is trying to promote students having a healthy life, i.e. not staying up all night studying when they should be managing their time and sleeping for at least 8 hours.

Also med schools don't come much cheaper than LECOM. Also, they have endless options for clinicals- although you will have to travel, so what? You can do some rotations in your home town.

Dr Trek 1 said:
I love these LECOM bashing threads... :laugh:

I don't know how many times I can say this.. but not any one med school is perfect for everyone. LECOM is not perfect for everyone, but neither is John Hopkins or Yale.

You also have to realize that you don't have to go to class at LECOM-E if you don't want to- just sign up for the independent curriculum.

Also, I wear a tie everyday anyway and it's all I have in my wardrobe so the dress code doesn't bother me. Anyways, it drives me insane when people (I've especially noticed this in women) wear their workout clothes/sweat pants/wind suits every day because they are supposedly too stressed to change. Contrary to popular belief, dressing well helps you psychologically.

Sure LECOM is shared with the pharm. school but that is cool not just being around med students all the time. And I never once spent a night studying in the library so I could care less how early the school closes. If you need a quiet place to study, there are many places in the surrounding LECOM area where you can go and study. LECOM is trying to promote students having a healthy life, i.e. not staying up all night studying when they should be managing their time and sleeping for at least 8 hours.

Also med schools don't come much cheaper than LECOM. Also, they have endless options for clinicals- although you will have to travel, so what? You can do some rotations in your home town.

Sorry if I offended you but I was not "LECOM bashing." The OP asked what the reasons were behind other peoples negative oppinion of the school. I gave mine. It is great that LECOM suits you just fine, but those issues may hinder other people.

Dr Trek 1 said:

You do have to get into ISP to not have to go to class. They only accept something like 30 people into ISP, out of 230ish?

nerdgrrl said:
You do have to get into ISP to not have to go to class. They only accept something like 30 people into ISP, out of 230ish?

Yes, however I don't think that many people want ISP prior to admissions. They are scared of it. However, AFTER admission it holds a long waiting list once people realize lecture is a waste of time (for many).

If more people initially requested ISP during their interview, I'm sure they would allow it. It would allow them to brag about smaller class sizes.