Bad Semester

Started by ODFuture
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ODFuture

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a sophomore (junior in credit hours including community college). My gpa from the community college is about a 3.75 but they were mostly business classes because that's originally what I thought I would be going into.

Last year at my university I got a 4.0 taking 14 and 15 credit hours while working on campus 20 hours a week. This year, I was originally taking 17 credit hours. I ended up dropping my calc class (I was doing fine in it I just felt like I had too much going on and wanted to focus on my other classes, physics orgo and biology). Now I am only taking 12 credit hours and its looking like I'm going to get B's in all of them besides my physics lab which is only worth 1 credit. Do you think this bad semester will drastically decrease my chances of getting into the Indiana University optometry program?

I also am working about 12 hours a week as an optometry technician and am the president of my universities pre-optometry association. Also, my university has a very difficult Bio-Med program.

I am taking the OAT, retaking calc, and applying this summer.
 
You should be fine for most schools . I wouldn't consider it "bad" at all. You did fine, keep moving forward.
 
No worries, I got into opt school and I'm actually a business major- no need to downplay because schools like a little diversity. I think being a business major and having my GPA up for that actually helped me out a lot. Also- I took two semesters of 18 hours: one of them I made a 3.0 for the semester (which is around a B range) and the other semester I had to drop a course to 15 hours and take a W. I still got in. I think as long as you can vouch for yourself when it comes to essays/interviews you should be fine. They see that you're working and you have leadership positions so I don't think that's going to hurt you at all. Hopefully this helps!