• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Bad to Change Major?

Countess827

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
    Hi. I started out the first two years of college as an undecided. Now, I'm a political science junior who is also Pre-Med with a Bio minor. Looking over my records, I think it'd be easier for me to just be a Biology Major and a Political Science minor. This is because I don't need that many more classes for a Biology Major and I could still easily get a political science minor. Would it look bad for a medical school to see that I changed my major like that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mona

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 20, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      Countess827 said:
      Hi. I started out the first two years of college as an undecided. Now, I'm a political science junior who is also Pre-Med with a Bio minor. Looking over my records, I think it'd be easier for me to just be a Biology Major and a Political Science minor. This is because I don't need that many more classes for a Biology Major and I could still easily get a political science minor. Would it look bad for a medical school to see that I changed my major like that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mona

I'm sure it will make no difference. There may be some marginal benefit to not being another bio major in a pool of thousands. But if the GPA, MCAT and ECs are solid, the major will not play much of a role.

About the Ads

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 29, 2002
        Countess827 said:
        Would it look bad for a medical school to see that I changed my major like that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mona

They either will have no way of knowing or simply won't care at all. I went from Bio --> Neuroscience --> Public Policy Analysis.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jul 5, 2004
        Sunny California
          I like your style - I'm a political science major, biology minor. Sure, it would have been easier the other way around, but I've enjoyed (nearly) every Political Science class, and I wouldnt have it any other way. Do what you enjoy doing, but dont forget - over half of all medical school applicants are Biology majors, and Poli Sci majors dont even make up 2%. It's one way to set yourself apart.

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
          10+ Year Member
          Oct 6, 2004
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            SanDiegoSOD said:
            I like your style - I'm a political science major, biology minor. Sure, it would have been easier the other way around, but I've enjoyed (nearly) every Political Science class, and I wouldnt have it any other way. Do what you enjoy doing, but dont forget - over half of all medical school applicants are Biology majors, and Poli Sci majors dont even make up 2%. It's one way to set yourself apart.

Political Science majors represent!!! To the OP, when I was initially doing political science I considered switching to bio because I thought it could be easier in that I wouldnt be taking so many more extra courses, but I have to say that like SanDiegoSOD I have really loved it!! Think about it, you prolly aren't gonna have another opportunity like this and all that bio is gonna be in med school x30. I hope you don't change, there aren't enough of us.

longhorndoc

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Sep 1, 2004
              I changed directions completely while in school. I changed from majoring in Clinical Lab Sciences to Advertising/Marketing during the second half of my sophmore yr. I was worried about it at first, but i was and am better off. The admissions from my interviews were very interested in my major and why I chose it. I think it truly set me apart. So more power to ya w/ the poly sci! You'll be great. Just be diverse in your activities and no worries

Countess827

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Feb 2, 2005
                Hey guys. I think I got an initial scare yesterday. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to finish political science in a year since I dropped my PS class to focus on the MCAT. It is about 36 hours left for next year, and hopefully I can get some internship/research done over the summer. Thanks again for all the advice. It feels SO MUCH better to know that there are other Political Science/Pre-Meds out there!! Yay!! :thumbup:

DrYo12

Y-bomb
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Jul 22, 2004
                unfathomably much loved
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  I did BioSci and PolySci during undergrad and loved it. In the end, med schools don't know that you changed majors unless you tell them. All the paperwork that is filed and such is only through the specific departments and doesn't influence your med app at all.

:thumbup: for political science!

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.