Barrons Gen Chem Question

Started by Dr. Rose
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr. Rose

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. Could someone please help me with this question? I searched the forums and could not find this one. I realize the answers to some of the Barrons questions are wrong, so hopefully this is my confusion.

How much 4M Ca(OH)2 is needed to neutralize 300 mL of 3M HNO3?
I am still pretty weak in my Chemistry study. If someone could please tell me their solution and what formula used I would appreciate it.
 
I came up with 112.5mL

First I balanced the equation:

Ca(OH)2 + 2HNO3 => Ca(NO3)2 + 2H20

.3L HNO3 X 3M HNO3 = .9 mol HNO3

.9 mol HNO3 / 2 mol HNO3 = .45 mol Ca(OH)2

.45 mol Ca(OH)2 / 4M Ca(OH)2 = .1125L