Barry BMS Program Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMiamiDentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm a recent graduate of Barry University's Masters in Biomedical Sciences program in Hollywood, FL, and have been accepted to dental school starting this July. If you're interested in the program or have any questions, ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would you be able to help for medical school related questions as well? Applying to Barry among others for an SMP

I'm totally dental, but one of my friends in the program that's pre-med can answer any questions you have about it. His username is adw14 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm totally dental, but one of my friends in the program that's pre-med can answer any questions you have about it. His username is adw14 :)
Hi ! I'm currently in my junior year as a biology major and I am considering a post bac at Barry. I only have a few questions for now but I will do more research and ask the other questions at a later date. How are the class sizes at Barry for dental students in the SMP? I was reading that they had several housing options for students you live on campus or do you commute? Were you in-state or out of state? I'm from North Carolina and out of state tuition is going to be a deciding factor as to which post bac programs I can actually afford to study at. Thank you so much for offering your advice, it's greatly appreciated and best of luck to you with your studies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Hi ! I'm currently in my junior year as a biology major and I am considering a post bac at Barry. I only have a few questions for now but I will do more research and ask the other questions at a later date. How are the class sizes at Barry for dental students in the SMP? I was reading that they had several housing options for students you live on campus or do you commute? Were you in-state or out of state? I'm from North Carolina and out of state tuition is going to be a deciding factor as to which post bac programs I can actually afford to study at. Thank you so much for offering your advice, it's greatly appreciated and best of luck to you with your studies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

The class size is one of the best things about going to Barry. I went to a very large undergrad with 250 students per class and Barry has around 50-80 people per class (it can be a lot smaller for electives). I think that's a huge plus because you actually get to know your professors and classmates which becomes very useful when you need new letters of recommendation. There are dorms on the main campus in Miami Shores that some people live at - it's about a 25 minute drive to the Hollywood campus where the Biomedical Sciences program is located. I live with my family in nearby North Miami Beach and commute to Hollywood (about 30 minutes). A lot of students live in Hollywood or commute from nearby cities - Plantation, Sunrise, and Davie to name a few. I'm in state, but a lot of the students in the Masters program are from all over the United States. Since Barry's private, the tuition is the same for in state vs out of state. It's $990 per credit hour and 34 total credits for the degree. Barry really did help me with my study skills and science/overall GPA which led me to getting accepted to dental school so I'd highly recommend it. I hope this gives you some help when deciding where to go!

How difficult is it to get into the program?

How tough is one year program? Is it doable? Since I used to take 15~16 units a semester, do you think I can handle it?

Do they offer any intersession for BMS?

What is the best time to apply for fall admission? I do not see any start date.

How difficult is it to get into the program?

How tough is one year program? Is it doable? Since I used to take 15~16 units a semester, do you think I can handle it?

Do they offer any intersession for BMS?

What is the best time to apply for fall admission? I do not see any start date.

Hello!

I don't know the exact stats to get into the program, but this website https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/admissions/ should answer all of that :) From my experience, I have plenty of friends (including myself) who didn't have stellar undergrad GPAs and still got into the program if that gives you some insight.

As for how tough the 1 year program is, your ability to handle the BMS course load really depends on what kind of GPA you maintained while taking like 15 credits a semester. At Barry since you're getting a Masters to show improvement from undergrad it's really important to get a 4.0 or very close to it. Most students only take 9 to 12 credits a semester which is 2 to 3 classes. That may not seem like a lot, but when it comes to graduate school trust me it's a whole different ballgame. I did the 18 month track and it really worked for me. Something to consider - some schools won't even look at you until you have a year of graduate work under your belt so it might be more worth it for you to do the 18 month track to make sure you get all A's rather than pack everything together and not do as well in your classes.

They offer fall, spring and summer classes - and you can begin the program during any of those semesters.

Fall classes start in late August usually and the exact deadlines for applying can be found here: https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/admissions/application-process.html

Hope this helps!

Hello!

I don't know the exact stats to get into the program, but this website https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/admissions/ should answer all of that :) From my experience, I have plenty of friends (including myself) who didn't have stellar undergrad GPAs and still got into the program if that gives you some insight.

As for how tough the 1 year program is, your ability to handle the BMS course load really depends on what kind of GPA you maintained while taking like 15 credits a semester. At Barry since you're getting a Masters to show improvement from undergrad it's really important to get a 4.0 or very close to it. Most students only take 9 to 12 credits a semester which is 2 to 3 classes. That may not seem like a lot, but when it comes to graduate school trust me it's a whole different ballgame. I did the 18 month track and it really worked for me. Something to consider - some schools won't even look at you until you have a year of graduate work under your belt so it might be more worth it for you to do the 18 month track to make sure you get all A's rather than pack everything together and not do as well in your classes.

They offer fall, spring and summer classes - and you can begin the program during any of those semesters.

Fall classes start in late August usually and the exact deadlines for applying can be found here: https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/admissions/application-process.html

Hope this helps!

So, if you are in the 18 month track starting in summer and take 9 to 12 credits a semester, will you be able to finish 34 units by spring?

So, if you are in the 18 month track starting in summer and take 9 to 12 credits a semester, will you be able to finish 34 units by spring?

You would actually finish at the end of summer of 2018 or fall 2018 if you started summer 2017, depending on how many courses you take. I actually don't know for sure if you're allowed to take more than 9 credit hours over the summer, usually people take max 9. Some people decide to just study for the DAT over the summer instead of taking classes which would push your graduation to the fall. I started spring semester and finished by the end of the following spring semester, and took courses over the summer.

You would actually finish at the end of summer of 2018 or fall 2018 if you started summer 2017, depending on how many courses you take. I actually don't know for sure if you're allowed to take more than 9 credit hours over the summer, usually people take max 9. Some people decide to just study for the DAT over the summer instead of taking classes which would push your graduation to the fall. I started spring semester and finished by the end of the following spring semester, and took courses over the summer.

Okay, I understood how the program works. Thank you for sparing your time!

If you guys have any more questions, feel free to ask :)
hello,

I am starting the program this summer and have no experience in Miami. Do students take the bus to school is there a school shuttle from main campus to the biomed campus? Do you know any apts that I could inquire near hollywood or where alot of students live in? Also how do they travel bike or car or public transportation. I dont have a car so I just want to make sure i can get to school. also are classes mandatory? where do you study? and do you find that you have to leave the school late at night? if so i might have to live close by. sorry i have a lot of questions

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,

I am starting the program this summer and have no experience in Miami. Do students take the bus to school is there a school shuttle from main campus to the biomed campus? Do you know any apts that I could inquire near hollywood or where alot of students live in? Also how do they travel bike or car or public transportation. I dont have a car so I just want to make sure i can get to school. also are classes mandatory? where do you study? and do you find that you have to leave the school late at night? if so i might have to live close by. sorry i have a lot of questions

Hello! If you do not have a car, you should definitely live in walking distance to the school in Hollywood, I believe the only buses from main campus are public transportation. Near the Hollywood campus there are a lot of apartments! Regent Park and Radius are two within walking distance. Most students do drive to school, but if you live close enough you can definitely walk. I'd also encourage you to find a realtor that might be able to help you find something less expensive.

As for classes being mandatory - it depends on the class. The majority of classes are not mandatory and Barry has a system called lecture capture that literally records the entire lecture so if you can't make it to class you can watch it from home.

I actually spent the majority of my time studying at home or Nova's library (because it has a Starbucks next to it). I did however also study at school. If there aren't classes going on you can always study in the classrooms and there is a common area in our building (with a microwave) that's great for studying in as well. Most of the classes are during the day, with the exception of 1 or 2 classes, so no you don't usually have to leave school late at night unless you're in those classes.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Is anyone interested in housing together. It would be cheaper if we could get a 3 bedroom apt. (~600/month) vs single bedrooms for 1k+ . Pm me if anyone is interested: I will be in Florida in May bc I am taking summer classes but if you are starting in Fall i wont mind starting then, while just finding a sublet for the summer etc. (Also I tried getting on the facebook housing group but I havent gotten accepted yet.) And classes start in 3 weeks. lol

Recently applied! Hoping to get an acceptance. For anyone thats attended, have a good amount of people gotten into medical school? How is the staff support? Also, how long did it take to get an acceptance after your application was completed?

One more question, do they have a committee that writes letter of recommendations?

Hey there! There have actually been a lot of medical acceptances (MD and DO)! And honestly the staff support is great! From writing recommendation letters to personal statement editing, mock interviews, helpful professors, and even relationships with medical and dental schools that could truly be the deciding factor to get you accepted. Barry does not have a committee to write recommendation letters, if you want a letter you have to ask each professor individually. If your application is complete and sent to admissions, it usually is reviewed within a week or two!

Hey there! There have actually been a lot of medical acceptances (MD and DO)! And honestly the staff support is great! From writing recommendation letters to personal statement editing, mock interviews, helpful professors, and even relationships with medical and dental schools that could truly be the deciding factor to get you accepted. Barry does not have a committee to write recommendation letters, if you want a letter you have to ask each professor individually. If your application is complete and sent to admissions, it usually is reviewed within a week or two!

Thank you for your help! :) One more question, do many people do the 12 month program/in your opinion, is it do-able?

Thank you for your help! :) One more question, do many people do the 12 month program/in your opinion, is it do-able?

Whichever track you're placed in (12, 18 month or 2 year) is decided by the admissions committee. Not many people are in the one year - it really depends on what your grades are from undergrad/DAT/MCAT scores because since the program for 1 years is more fast paced than the 18/2 year track, you have to be able to handle it. I know people do pull it off, but some 1 year people usually tend to extend into the 18 month track so they can spread out their classes more. I was on the 18 month track. Hope that helped :)

Anyone? I'm still waiting to hear from Barry.

Thought I would share my opinion here since Im currently in the program (18 mo- dental). I'm glad the program worked out for op but I feel like the program is going downhill. Changes in proffesors (old ones leaving and new ones with little experience coming in) makes the classes hard. (I might add that one of the proffessors who has left also said this program is going downhill). Proffessors have also become really strict with criteria on giving out LORs (just getting an A overall in the class and visiting them a few times may not be enough)- this may have to do with the cheating issue (they've been really strict with test taking now). There is no easy A classes (it is a grad program but even electives here are difficult now) so dont expect to easily get a 4.0 (my friend who just graduated did get a 4.0 but no interviews at all for med school). More predental students from the program do get accepted to dental school but the percentage for pre-med is a lot lower. I know a lot I said isnt positive (the positives op stated that I havent stated here are things I agree with). But thought I'd share an opinion from the other side of the argument of why you should or shouldnt join this program. I can't compare to other masters program (since I havent been through them or heard much about them) but I probably wouldn't reccommend this program to friend right now unless some more positive changes are made.

In the end the final decission is up to you- if other students post or if you can contact them be sure to ask for their opinions also

You definitely make some interesting points. Honestly, I respect the changes being made at Barry. Yeah there are newer Professors and new exam policies, but I think these changes had to be made. I know two of the Professors retired so they had to hire someone new this past fall 2016 and with that comes a learning curve whenever there’s a new Professor.

For me I wanted to attend a program with integrity that would be respected by professional schools and the changes being made at Barry are just a reflection of that. Idk which classes you’re referring to that were easy A classes, but in my experience every class I earned an A in I worked really hard to do that. Nothing was ever handed to me. For me, I didn’t want to attend a program where every grade was handed to me. I wanted to gain confidence in myself that I could not only complete graduate level classes, but that I could complete them with flying colors so that when it comes to taking the same classes in dental school I’m ready for them.

I’m sorry to hear that your friend with a 4.0 at Barry didn’t get into med school this year! You can’t base that solely on Barry though. So many things go into getting into professional school – MCAT/DAT, interview, time of application, etc. From my experience, you have a better chance of getting in after you’re completely done with the program, so hopefully after another cycle your friend will have more luck. I always tell people it wasn’t just Barry that got me into school, although Barry did play a pivotal role. It really is the whole package when it comes to getting into school.

I just heard that this year 98 Barry students have been accepted into medical and dental school for this fall. You have a point that more pre-dental students get in than pre-med, but from what I’ve learned (my best friend was pre-med at Barry with a 4.0 and got accepted for fall) med school is a lot less forgiving than dental school. If you have a lower undergrad GPA, there are dental schools that will look past it, but that’s harder to come by when it comes to medical school. This year though there have been a lot more pre-med students accepted than any other year. Barry has gained a lot of respect from med schools and that definitely shows in the number accepted this year!

That’s my view on it. We’re all entitled to our own opinions though, so I appreciate your take on it. I know that even with changes, I would still recommend this program to any pre-med/pre-dental still striving for the dream of getting into professional school. It changed my life and Idk where I would be today without Barry.

Hey there! I heard it's about 3 weeks, but you can always call admissions to check whether your application's complete and all.

Thanks. Got my acceptance today
Took a week after my application was sent in for a decision.

@FutureMiamiDentist any tips on how to be successful in this program? Really trying to reevaluate myself this summer to prepare for this program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Awesome, congrats on getting in!

My tip is to get your mind right before you start. Going into graduate school was a completely different head space than the one I had in undergrad. Be ready to take every class seriously and know that the day classes start is the day you will start studying for your first exams. I know some friends that took some free classes on effective studying on the "Coursera" website before they started school, which I would recommend. Other than that, enjoy your free time before classes start!

@FutureMiamiDentist any tips on how to be successful in this program? Really trying to reevaluate myself this summer to prepare for this program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello! I can offer some tips that were given to me when I started the program. I would say, definitely reevaluate how you studied in undergrad, and see what helped and what didn't help. Its important to drop bad habits quick and pick up good ones, because like FutureMiamiDentist said, you really have to start studying from Day 1. Just be ready to put in work every day, instead of a week before an exam. A little work every day leads to better results than everything all at once with this program. Also, get a good support group around you. The overall atmosphere of the program is extremely supportive and positive, and if you have a good study group to help you, it makes it even better. There are many resources to help you succeed, so utilizing the free tutors, open lab times (for gross anatomy), and professor office hours for example, definitely makes an impact on your grades. And last but not least, having a great attitude and mindset will take you far. Some of the top students in the program with multiple acceptances to top schools had the mindset that everything that they were doing, was to prepare for Med/Dental school. If you come in with that mindset and motivation, you will be fine. Its all about improving, and showing what you can do!

Reactions: 1 users
No problem! If you have any other questions just feel free to ask me or FutureMiamiDentist. :)
Hey so I am considering attending Barry in the Spring but just curious as to what other Masters programs you applied to and if you were deciding between a few? And what made you choose Barry? I am from California and I wish there was one out here but it seems like all these SMP look to be out in the East. Thanks!

Hello, I was recently admitted into the program for the Spring 2018 semester. I wanted to know if a few current students could give me some tips (or "heads-ups) about ways to prepare for certain classes and/or professors. I've heard lots of things from previous students, however since most of the program's faculty and staff have left or been replaced, most of the info I have is now out dated. Thanks for your help!

Hi everybody! I'm a recent graduate of Barry University's Masters in Biomedical Sciences program in Hollywood, FL, and have been accepted to dental school starting this July. If you're interested in the program or have any questions, ask away!
@KRHR_16 @FutureMiamiDentist
Hello I am interested in this program, specially in the dental path. Do you know the percentage of students that got accepted to professional schools after successfully finishing the program at Barry? Also I would like to know if the 1,1.5 or 2 years path make a difference in the acceptance rate. Thank you for your time!