Barry University and Board Passing Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently expressed interest in applying to Barry's Pod School and I was told face to face by a current Pod student who attends a different school bad things about Barry including unsupported stats that Barry's board's passing rate was 30%.

My main question is whether there is an online resource which will provide me with unbias stats?

Also, if there is no online source, does the pod schools provide such stats over the telephone?

Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you should pick up the phone and call the school or ask to speak with a current student rather then relying on hearsay from a student at another school.

:confused:

I'm not relying on her words i am in the process of finding out the truth (hence the post)...via this online forum first as well as via the telephone during proper business hours...

If any current Barry students have any input I would greatly appreaciate it...

I will say just go for it and apply there, visit the place yourself and evaluate the school.
No one can give you a good clue how about how good/bad the program is.
It is true that some pod school are more popular over the other, hence more competitive stats, and other schools don't. But they should all prepare you for your future career.
Schools like CSPM are not reviewed very much here on SDN, yet where I'm from (socal), there are successful practices in Orange County whose owners graduated from CSPM.
Can't speak of Barry, but it should be the same. I will guess Barry's students are more established in some power residencies in Florida, just like Temple students are more established in Northeast.
Hope this helps. As for me personally, I only consider a school based on the location, residency networking, and cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently expressed interest in applying to Barry's Pod School and I was told face to face by a current Pod student who attends a different school bad things about Barry including unsupported stats that Barry's board's passing rate was 30%.

My main question is whether there is an online resource which will provide me with unbias stats?

Also, if there is no online source, does the pod schools provide such stats over the telephone?

Thanx!

I am so sorry that you have heard negative things towards Barry University, for the record our boards passing rate is 90% which is above national average. I don't know where the 30% came from. If you have questions at all with the schools, you can always call us directly. Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions. :)

:thumbup:

I will say just go for it and apply there, visit the place yourself and evaluate the school.
No one can give you a good clue how about how good/bad the program is.
It is true that some pod school are more popular over the other, hence more competitive stats, and other schools don't. But they should all prepare you for your future career.
Schools like CSPM are not reviewed very much here on SDN, yet where I'm from (socal), there are successful practices in Orange County whose owners graduated from CSPM.
Can't speak of Barry, but it should be the same. I will guess Barry's students are more established in some power residencies in Florida, just like Temple students are more established in Northeast.
Hope this helps. As for me personally, I only consider a school based on the location, residency networking, and cost.

Board pass rates are more for determining student motivation and self-directedness than determining adequate schooling.

Most of what you learn won't be taught by anyone but you, and it will be in the study niche you create for yourself.

Some schools may do a better job than others at requiring certain information be learned to pass courses before the boards that are essential for passing the boards, but by and large, the students are the deciding factor.

If anything, you might say board pass rates are a result of the schools accepting candidates with higher or lower levels of motivation and desire to excel, and ability to work outside the classroom to achieve adequate understanding.

The school doesn't pass the boards; you do. Notice none of them give a money-back guarantee when you fill out your paperwork.

Thanx!

Hi, I am a forth year at Barry and I can tell you one thing. Part I board's passing rate for the first time takers in June 2010 was 90%. That is my class. Normally, Barry's board passing rate is above national average. Also, with current changes established by Dr. Jensen (dean), expect it to only get better from here. If you still have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

If ANY school had a 30% pass rate the school would have their accreditation revoked by the APMA.

I go to a different school. I do not know what their pass rates are, but I find this number very hard to believe. Also, they would probably not be able to keep their accredidation with only 30% passing.

Hi, I am a forth year at Barry and I can tell you one thing. Part I board's passing rate for the first time takers in June 2010 was 90%. That is my class. Normally, Barry's board passing rate is above national average. Also, with current changes established by Dr. Jensen (dean), expect it to only get better from here. If you still have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

One simple question, which colleges are willing to post/publish board pass rates on university/college public web sites? The accreditation agency would then be able to determine who is putting out accurate information as the agency receives official results from the national board. Unless they are posted, I would not believe word of mouth no matter where it is coming from.

What about colleges accepting students who have or don't have the academic aptitude to pass the boards. A 15-20% national failure rate on a consistent basis tells the story. Then again we can always take the low road and blame the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about colleges accepting students who have or don't have the academic aptitude to pass the boards. A 15-20% national failure rate on a consistent basis tells the story. Then again we can always take the low road and blame the exam.

Do you have any idea what the pass rates are in Allopathic medicine? They aren't THAT much better. I believe the latest statistic I found was 8-10% failure rate. I really need to find that now...

Doesn't matter if schools post their board pass rates or not. Every couple of years the CPME visits schools and pretty much analyzes everything they've done since their last review. They look at grades, curriculum, board scores...everything. Schools really have nowhere to hide. If they are not up to snuff they will lose their accreditation.

You can never go wrong with transparency and honesty.

From CPME 120

Licensure examination pass rates - The college is expected to demonstrate a licensure examination pass rate for first-time test takers, averaged over the most recent three years, of at least 75 percent on NBPME part 1 and 80 percent on NBPME part 2.

Maybe people ought to read these documents to appreciate the standards and frequency of visits (8 years).They can then judge for themselves if releasing this information is helpful.
[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]..

No you can't but you know what? The schools can do whatever they want. Which makes this topic not worth debating any further. Students can be annoying and complain/ beg the administration to post board pass rates on their website but ultimately they have all the control and can do what they like. As a current student it's not worth jeopardizing my career over something like that. Especially when I can simply go to the Dean of the curriculum' s office and retrieve all the board pass rates for the last 10 years.

This is a life lesson. Many institutions that you will encounter wield the same power. As one of my very close mentors reminds me, "Pick your battles".

Reactions: 1 user

Thanx!

I graduated from Barry last year and my classes board 1 and 2 pass rates were both 90%. Both tests are equally important in podiatry. Barry is a great school and you can live on the beach for four years. Awesome memories.

Thanx!
First off, why would you listen to a student who didn't attend the school?
I am not sure if the board pass rates are listed on the internet. I would suggest calling the university and find out all the information you need.
The pass rate is not 30% I would not talk to that student about any other school or get any info or advice from them anymore. Go to the primary source for info. You can PM me if you have any questions about Barry. I am writing this message looking out my condo at the ocean looking at the waves crash onto the shore. Absolutely gorgeous place and loved the 4 years I was here.

Maybe they have it backwards... 30% didnt pass part II

...could be where all this is coming from

Maybe they have it backwards... 30% didnt pass part II

...could be where all this is coming from
Well the original post was 1/29/12 and we didn't find out the results till 2/7/12, so that is not it.

This is directly from the President's report from the last AMPSA meeting:

Pass Fail Total
Part I (Class of 2013)
85% 8 53
Part I Repeat Examinees
55% 5 11
Part II (Class of 2012)
90% 5 50

Also note the 2013 class is 56 people, but 3 of those people were not allowed to take the board since their GPA was too low. Anyone want me to post the totals from the other schools?

This is directly from the President's report from the last AMPSA meeting:

Part II (Class of 2012)
90% 5 50

This number is from 2011, not 2012. It must have been a typo in the report, especially since that APMSA meeting was before 2012 Part 2 scores were even released.

You are right, the other schools list it as 2011. Good catch!

Does anybody have an explanation for the low APMLE Part I pass rates for CSPM? Their pass rates are significantly lower than the national pass rates.

APMLE Part 1
Class of:

CSPM (first-time test takes, July testing)
2014 66%
2013 74%
2012 75%
2011 87%

National (first-time test takes, July testing)
2014 82%
2013 85%
2012 88%
2011 85%

Does anybody have an explanation for the low APMLE Part I pass rates for CSPM? Their pass rates are significantly lower than the national pass rates.

APMLE Part 1
Class of:

CSPM (first-time test takes, July testing)
2014 66%
2013 74%
2012 75%
2011 87%

National (first-time test takes, July testing)
2014 82%
2013 85%
2012 88%
2011 85%

I asked Dean Venson about this when I interviewed, and I emailed Dr. Tran, the admission director, as well later asking what was going on (also got input from current students). CSPM is one of the schools that does not give much time to study for the boards, whereas a couple schools do. Take that and add it with the clinical rotations that start during the second year and you have yourself a heck of a busy schedule. The 66% first pass rate this year (67% actually) was terrible, and that class from what I heard was, for lack of a better word, lazy. The second time around it was over 95%, and the one student who didn't pass was dismissed from the program. BTW the averages can be a total hogwash, as it is known that some schools don't let some students take step I without pre-req's or certain grades, thus inflating the first pass rate. It's quite amusing how every school miraculously has a higher than average first time board pass rate...

The administration has also recently thrown out the weekly tests that cover everything 2 weeks before, since they didn't help much. As we 'speak', they are providing more and more time every year for students to nail those boards. Don't misunderstand the board scores for the lack of education. It is second to none (again hearing from MANY students and faculty) and CSPM students are literally the only podiatry students that have to balance the intense classes and clinics that go on during the second year. Again, the time management is key. Given all this, the time to study is being expanded constantly. FWIW I'm still deciding between this school and 2 others, since this school is so under-represented on SDN, yet gives a stellar education, and might make my life easier if I want to practice in CA.

Hello everyone!! I am a second year student at Barry, class of 2016. I just want to do a small post for the up coming class of the pros and cons here at Barry University. This is not to scare you, but to inform you and make sure you are aware of what's going in this program, some helpful tips. Initially, my class was full, but by the end of the year, A LOT of people dropped out due to personal reasons, not being able to keep up with materials, or passing the class. You can not slack off while in school! I can not stress that enough to the new fellow students! I will be completely honest, I barely made it my first year!! I basically had to remember word for word a lot of the materials being taught. We also have new faculties, one of which made it extremely difficult for many students to pass. We were allow to retake the test, but it was just as difficult the second time around. The professor was extremely difficult to understand!! I basically had to teach everything myself, a lot late nights and internet research! Students are paired with an older podiatry student (brother/sister). Most of the time, you can turn to your big brother/sister for guidance or help , other people had the bad luck of the draw and ended up doing everything themselves (like myself) which made it extremely difficult for me to do well the first year. But I am still here! So, if any of you fall in the same situations as i do, you can make it through your first year if you put everything you got into your studies. Some of the faculties aren't so nice either, making it uncomfortable for me to ask questions when uncertain. A lot of them expect students to come to class well prepared and have a good knowledge or foundation to the course and topics before coming to class. So start reading and doing your research! Living here in Miami is very pricey, so most people end up sharing a place. You can ask any of the students here for advice or where the safe areas are live. Besides that, I wish you all luck and please be prepared for some hard core studying.

P.S. Congratulations to those who passed year one at Barry!!! Go Class 2016!!

Reactions: 1 user