Barry University Biomedical Science Masters Program Fall 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FitDoctorChick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread for Fall 2011-2012. Has anyone applied? accepted? Planning on going?

If any current student stumble upon this thread, please share your experience:)

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today for the 2 year program. Is there anyone who has applied and heard back?

Hello, I got an e-mail notification today saying that I got accepted into the program. I don't know which track I got into. I'm not sure if I'll be attending in the fall because I'm still waiting from other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for you to get a response after your application was complete?

My file was sent for review on 2/15 and received my acceptance via e-mail on 2/22. It was really fast, good luck 

for those who got accepted to barry's mbs program and has subpar mcats score(s) and high gpa i would recommend not going because the school has no connection what so ever to any medical schools and the connection they did have with NOVA no longer exists. The professors are not qualify to teach except for a few. Those stats that they present about 78 percent get accepted to medical school is bogus because they include carribean schools, podiatry, osteopathic and some allopathic. Have some student gotten into schools because barry, yes but could they have done it without barry yes again. Most students done benefit from barry and some in fact some hurt their chances by getting a C in physio by stupid professor. Until,] barry changes there administration and start caring for their student i would avoid it at all cost, or it will cost you 60k and 2 yrs and those 2 years you could improve your mcat.

for those who got accepted to barry's mbs program and has subpar mcats score(s) and high gpa i would recommend not going because the school has no connection what so ever to any medical schools and the connection they did have with NOVA no longer exists. The professors are not qualify to teach except for a few. Those stats that they present about 78 percent get accepted to medical school is bogus because they include carribean schools, podiatry, osteopathic and some allopathic. Have some student gotten into schools because barry, yes but could they have done it without barry yes again. Most students done benefit from barry and some in fact some hurt their chances by getting a C in physio by stupid professor. Until,] barry changes there administration and start caring for their student i would avoid it at all cost, or it will cost you 60k and 2 yrs and those 2 years you could improve your mcat.

Don't blame your prof for your grades. I got a B in this class, but I learned a lot. I know i will do well when i start Med School this fall.
Barry never claimed they have any links with any school.
I finished in the 1 year program, 100% of my class got Med & Dent Schools.
Only 2 years suckers go to non-US schools.

Don't blame your prof for your grades. I got a B in this class, but I learned a lot. I know i will do well when i start Med School this fall.
Barry never claimed they have any links with any school.
I finished in the 1 year program, 100% of my class got Med & Dent Schools.
Only 2 years suckers go to non-US schools.

Hi, =)

Since you finished the 1 year program could you tell me a little bit of what to expect, and such. I just recently applied and will likely do the 1 year program with a 3.5gpa and a 24mcat, do you think this is a good option?

Thanks you

I don't think that any of the SMP/SMP style programs are right for you based on those two stats.

If you don't mind going osteopathic medicine, then apply very early and broadly. Your MCAT isn't competitive but with your GPA and hopefully some strong LORS/E.Cs, you'll get more than a few looks.

If you want to go allopathic, retake the MCAT and go for a 31+ score and again, apply early and broadly.

These type of programs (SMP/SMP style) cater more to an individual who has a tarnished GPA which you do not have. It does not cover up for a low MCAT (which you do have) and Barry in particular does not have any solid linkages that would help you in this particular regard. So instead of spending 30-50K on Barry, just spend a couple thousand to take a Kaplan or TPR course if you need it and retake the MCAT.

I don't think that any of the SMP/SMP style programs are right for you based on those two stats.

If you don't mind going osteopathic medicine, then apply very early and broadly. Your MCAT isn't competitive but with your GPA and hopefully some strong LORS/E.Cs, you'll get more than a few looks.

If you want to go allopathic, retake the MCAT and go for a 31+ score and again, apply early and broadly.

These type of programs (SMP/SMP style) cater more to an individual who has a tarnished GPA which you do not have. It does not cover up for a low MCAT (which you do have) and Barry in particular does not have any solid linkages that would help you in this particular regard. So instead of spending 30-50K on Barry, just spend a couple thousand to take a Kaplan or TPR course if you need it and retake the MCAT.

thanks a lot =) as a matter of fact I want to be a DO. Just to be on the safe side do you know of any schools that do have a bridge program aside from Nova?

Most osteopathic schools who offer those type of programs have a linkage back to their medical school. Nova's MBS program is one I consider an unofficial bridge to their DO school where it's not openly expressed by the faculty or administration on paper but it's common knowledge among students and the school that meeting certain academic requirements during your education there will lead to matriculation.

LECOM offers a post-bacc program that is a conditional acceptance into their DO or pharm programs. 1 year.

Since it takes too much to type, I'll just list.
VCOM post-bacc
LMU-DCOM post-bacc
Touro NV MHS
Touro-NY M.S
Western-COMP MSMS (you probably should want to be in one of the 10 linkage spots)
TCOM GSBS
AZCOM/CCOM MBS/MA
WCU-COM MBS
PCOM MBS (both PA and GA)

I'd do your own research on programs and their respective school and talk with students about their personal views/experiences. Each program has different levels of "linkage" so take that into heavy consideration.

Sorry to derail this thread.

Most osteopathic schools who offer those type of programs have a linkage back to their medical school. Nova's MBS program is one I consider an unofficial bridge to their DO school where it's not openly expressed by the faculty or administration on paper but it's common knowledge among students and the school that meeting certain academic requirements during your education there will lead to matriculation.

LECOM offers a post-bacc program that is a conditional acceptance into their DO or pharm programs. 1 year.

Since it takes too much to type, I'll just list.
VCOM post-bacc
LMU-DCOM post-bacc
Touro NV MHS
Touro-NY M.S
Western-COMP MSMS (you probably should want to be in one of the 10 linkage spots)
TCOM GSBS
AZCOM/CCOM MBS/MA
WCU-COM MBS
PCOM MBS (both PA and GA)

I'd do your own research on programs and their respective school and talk with students about their personal views/experiences. Each program has different levels of "linkage" so take that into heavy consideration.

Sorry to derail this thread.

Thanks a lot for the information I will look into them. Sorry for asking about other programs in this thread and good luck to every one =)

Has any one else applied/ been accepted yet? Has anyone committed?

Can current students please reply with where your attending medical school next year or applying? I want to know if this program will be worth it. Any information about the profs and classes would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted last week, but i do not know which track i was accepted to. The "mybarry" website doesn't really provide any details. I'm waiting for my initial letter in the mail which is supposed to have more details. I got my acceptance about 2 weeks after I applied.

Currently I'm a predent with GPA 3.33 and DAT 20AA/19TS/21PA

I am really interested in this program so if anyone with more information can post up it would be great :thumbup:

I just got accepted. I'm from Michigan so if I get into a couple other programs, I likely won't do this one. As for now, it's the only one I've heard back from.

I have a 3.1 and a 26 MCAT... retaking the MCAT at the end of the month.

Does anyone know about success rates with this program linking to allopathic medical schools? Thanks.

Hi to all my fellow Barry University Biomedical Scientists. I was accepted sometime back in February or March but it took me a few months to narrow down my choices and Barry was it.

I'm from Michigan (Metro Detroit) and I'm trying to make the transition easy. Where are most of you going to reside? Which neighborhoods are safe/unsafe? Who wants a roommate? I want to reside in an apartment complex with a few Barry graduate students (better stimulating environment) so if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

If anyone is interested in rooming or has any information on good affordable apartments, please let me know.

See you all in August

I heard Dr. A is leaving, the program is going down the drain if he does.

Who is Dr. A and do you know why he is leaving, I just got accepted and will be doing the one year program. 3.3 and a 21, I'm just trying to find a way to medschool. Is Barry recommended in my case, mind you I'm retaking the mcat 7/29...

Can someone confirm that Dr. A is leaving? Because I've heard he's not going anywhere.

Dr. A is the program director and Anatomy professor.

I asked him about Gross next spring, he said he is leaving.

Hello everyone,

I have recently been accepted into Barry University and Tufts and to be honest, I'm not sure which one I prefer. What do you guys like about Barry that stuck out from other schools?

wise wise words. plus there is a MAJOR issue of campus safety. I personally know a Pod student that was carjacked at gunpoint on campus. plus some of the profs are pervs. Love Dr. A though. sad to hear he's leaving. Now the program's really down the drain.

Can anybody with positive remarks bring life back to this thread please. I'm most likely going to Barry's program pending Nova Biomedical program which is filling seats already. Can anybody with success at the accelerated program comment.

Can anybody with positive remarks bring life back to this thread please. I'm most likely going to Barry's program pending Nova Biomedical program which is filling seats already. Can anybody with success at the accelerated program comment.

anybody???

Hi guys my name is Kawei, I am attending the Barry's Biomed 1 yr program for the oral track, I am currently looking for a dedicated roommate (trying to room with 3 people ideally) I am a male, who just wants to study and have fun at times, my friend sarmad above have told me he is interested, so we need one more, pm me if interested.
Kawei

More Bad news:mad:
The program is moving, new students will be in a new location, but have to go back and forth to main campus for classes.

The program is moving, new students will be in a new location, but have to go back and forth to main campus for classes.

Thanks for the info MDIwillBe. Where is this new location? Off campus? :confused:

MDIwillBe, do you advise that for us students trying to find an apartment wait until orientation to do so or should we just get a place in between the main campus and hollywood (like Aventura)?

Thanks

MDIwillBe, do you advise that for us students trying to find an apartment wait until orientation to do so or should we just get a place in between the main campus and hollywood (like Aventura)?

Thanks

Most of us live in Aventura. But if you will be using public transportation, I suggest you wait.

I really feel sorry for you guys, they don't have anybody to run the program, or teach anatomy when Dr. A leaves.

Hope all works out well for you :)

Most of us live in Aventura. But if you will be using public transportation, I suggest you wait.

I really feel sorry for you guys, they don't have anybody to run the program, or teach anatomy when Dr. A leaves.

Where do most students live in Aventura? Are there certain apartment complexes students like more? Others to stay away from? I've been trying to find housing for a month and can't seem to find a good place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Actually, I will be bringing my Car so transportation is not an issue (I'm not sure about my roommate(s) transportation situation).

I've been searching left and right online but I'm not sure which apartment complexes are good in Aventura or even Sunny Isles. If you happen to know the complexes most popular among students, I'd greatly appreciate it.

As for Dr. A, is he really the captain of the ship? What would the situation be like if he were not steering the vessel?

Thanks

Actually, I will be bringing my Car so transportation is not an issue (I'm not sure about my roommate(s) transportation situation).

I've been searching left and right online but I'm not sure which apartment complexes are good in Aventura or even Sunny Isles. If you happen to know the complexes most popular among students, I'd greatly appreciate it.

As for Dr. A, is he really the captain of the ship? What would the situation be like if he were not steering the vessel?

Thanks

Dr. A is the captain of the ship.

He helps students with every thing, his door was always open.
He helps with PS, writes good letters and quick, answers questions about career choices, even life questions.
I know of at least 20 students that got in after they spoke with him and changed their startegy.

Situation after he's gone, real BAAAAAAD :confused:

Hello! I am looking for a roommate starting Fall 2011! I am female and coming from California. If another female is looking for a roommate please contact me! Thanks! :)

Hey guys, I am leaving Barry this year. I did the one year program here and now I am selling some of my furniture. I have an IKEA dining table with 4 chairs, each with a blue cushion. I also have a set of furniture that includes a tv stand, night stand and coffee table. Please email me at [email protected] for any questions or prices.

Does Barry have matriculation agreements with any DO or MD school in Florida? I feel like Master's programs without some sort of contract based on requirements are a waste even though they help prepare you with course work, in the end, it's just money down the drain from what I heard from my professor who said a master's in biomed sciences leads to no significant career advancement/salary boost??

Not to be rude at all, I think if it helps you get into medical or dental school, why not?! But is it worth it?

Some people need the graduate course work to prove they can handle difficult curriculum. Its just the harder path individuals can use just in case they can't get a 30+ MCAT score I would think. Having said this I am considering Barry because I'm 3.4 GPA 21 MCAT. Retaking the MCAT again July.

Hey guys, it's a little disconcerting to hear the "captain of the ship" is leaving, but I've heard enough good things about Barry to give it a shot. I'm a predent and going to do Barry's 1 year Biomedical Sciences program in the fall and i'm looking for a roommate (prefferably two) to deter costs if anyone's interested pm me or email me at [email protected]. I'm a 23, a male, and will be studyin my butt off this upcoming year.

Hey MDI,

I just read that the Hollywood location won't be opening till Jan 2012.
Do you know anything about this, and is the BMS program one of the programs in the new building?

Thanks!

I am trying to get into Dental School

I got into Barrys Program

But am trying to decide if i should go here as opposed to, UMDNJ, NYU oral bio, or Midwestern AZ?

which one would help the most?

my gpa is 3.2 dat is 20/20/21

Has anyone received any information regarding orientation and class registration? and about tuition? Since I submitted my deposit, I haven't heard anything back and it's almost July!

Has anyone received any information regarding orientation and class registration? and about tuition? Since I submitted my deposit, I haven't heard anything back and it's almost July!

i'm with you on this -- haven't received anything yet. don't know what is going on :mad:

Well I'm in the accelerated program and off of my memory of conversation there are 2 separate days of orientation I was told. Its somewhere around August 18-21. One day is accelerated and another for the the other two programs. An assistant by the name Monestime (3058993227) is suppose to send something soon in the mail or by email. There just trying to organize everything now. The tuition is like 32,000 a year about 905 a credit. Fin aid only approved me for 20,500... :( I need to private loan the rest so be prepared for the same. Don't quote me on everything I wrote this is the best I can remember.

Hello my name is Lobna I just graduated from the BMS program in May and will still be living in south florida. Im currently looking for a trustworthy roommate i will be moving to a 2bedroom 2 bath in the miramar / pembroke pines area which is about 15mins from Barry and extremely close to all major highways. It will be in a gated community in a good area unlike area where Barry Univ is located in. Please let me know if you can help me get the word out or if you know anyone in the program who is also looking for a roommate. please email me at [email protected];)

Could anyone tell me when the deadline to apply to the bms program is/was??

Hey everyone I just graduated from the BMS program and im living in the pembroke pines/miramar area about 15mins from barry. As some of you may know Barry is not in such a great area crime wise so this is why i live in the pembroke pines/ miramar area. Im looking for a female roommate who is trustworthy and honest. for more info contact me at [email protected]

Where are most of you guys living? The apartment search is frustrating :eek:

I'm trying to find a place where there are students living -- also want to be close to some nightlife to enjoy miami

I am trying to get into Dental School

I got into Barrys Program

But am trying to decide if i should go here as opposed to, UMDNJ, NYU oral bio, or Midwestern AZ?

which one would help the most?

my gpa is 3.2 dat is 20/20/21

Stay away from Barry just heard their new director is a nurse, faculty is leaving.