Barry University Biomedical Sciences masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the unconquered

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a premed who has a questionable science gpa and i am looking for a way to redeem my past indiscretions. My academic advisor had recommended the biomedical sciences masters program at barry university. I applied and was accepted and now im debating whether or not i should go.

Does anyone know anything about this program (i.e. is the program well-recieved by med-schools, is the cirriculum rigorous, are the faculty/advisors cool, are the students cools, etc...)? If so, please let me know.

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

the unconquered said:
i'm a premed who has a questionable science gpa and i am looking for a way to redeem my past indiscretions. My academic advisor had recommended the biomedical sciences masters program at barry university. I applied and was accepted and now im debating whether or not i should go.

Does anyone know anything about this program (i.e. is the program well-recieved by med-schools, is the cirriculum rigorous, are the faculty/advisors cool, are the students cools, etc...)? If so, please let me know.

thanks...

Do they have a linkage with any med schools?

NRAI2001 said:
Do they have a linkage with any med schools?

I am currently in the masters program at Barry and love it there. It is a rigorous program but very doable. It is comprised of 36 credit hours in sciences, so a great way to boost your science gpa. If you are willing to work hard, the program will definitely help your chances of getting into med school ( I was accepted to UM for next year). However, there are a good number of people who don't get into med school, but I think that is more because they spend too much time in South Beach and not studying. Since there is no research/thesis involved, you have to take a comprehensive exam at the end of the program to get your MS degree, but I hear that if you study for it it will be fine.
It doesn't have any special links with med schools, but is regarded highly by many. Of course, there are many good programs out there, BU Georgetown, and UMDNJ to name a few. It all depends on where you think you can spend 1-2 years of your life and if you want to earn your credits by doing research or by taking more classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by the program director that the master's program has an unofficial linkage with St. George's.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

jays2cool4u said:
I was told by the program director that the master's program has an unofficial linkage with St. George's.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

Yes you are right....I had forgotten about that. Barry definitely has a link with St. George's. In fact, when St. George's had all those probs last year with hurricanes, Barry hosted classes for a bunch of their students.

flgirl81 said:
Yes you are right....I had forgotten about that. Barry definitely has a link with St. George's. In fact, when St. George's had all those probs last year with hurricanes, Barry hosted classes for a bunch of their students.

Couldnt most people who got into the barry masters program have gotten into st.georges?

Where is Barry? and How can I find him?

flgirl81 said:
I am currently in the masters program at Barry and love it there. It is a rigorous program but very doable. It is comprised of 36 credit hours in sciences, so a great way to boost your science gpa. If you are willing to work hard, the program will definitely help your chances of getting into med school ( I was accepted to UM for next year). However, there are a good number of people who don't get into med school, but I think that is more because they spend too much time in South Beach and not studying. Since there is no research/thesis involved, you have to take a comprehensive exam at the end of the program to get your MS degree, but I hear that if you study for it it will be fine.
It doesn't have any special links with med schools, but is regarded highly by many. Of course, there are many good programs out there, BU Georgetown, and UMDNJ to name a few. It all depends on where you think you can spend 1-2 years of your life and if you want to earn your credits by doing research or by taking more classes.

Where u accepted to UM based on your work during the masters program? Did you have a lag year?

NRAI2001 said:
Where u accepted to UM based on your work during the masters program? Did you have a lag year?

It was based on my work in the masters, no lag year. I am still actually in the masters program, so I was accepted before I finished my coursework. My MCAT score also helped I'm sure (30Q). But if you work hard in the masters program, med schools will see that and take it into consideration. The amount of weight it carries depends on the school.

flgirl81 said:
It was based on my work in the masters, no lag year. I am still actually in the masters program, so I was accepted before I finished my coursework. My MCAT score also helped I'm sure (30Q). But if you work hard in the masters program, med schools will see that and take it into consideration. The amount of weight it carries depends on the school.

So will they put you on hold untill they see your grades?

NRAI2001 said:
Couldnt most people who got into the barry masters program have gotten into st.georges?

Where is Barry? and How can I find him?

The director told me over the phone that an applicant needs a 2.5 cumlative gpa to get accepted into the master's program. However, this cut-off can be lowered on a case by case basis.

If you go to SGU's website, it states that the average undergrad gpa for incoming MSI's is a 3.1 with a science gpa of 3.2. Also, SGU is one of the few caribbean schools that actually rejects "unqualified" students. So, the answer to your question is probably not.

Oh, and Barry is in Miami Shores.

jays2cool4u said:
The director told me over the phone that an applicant needs a 2.5 cumlative gpa to get accepted into the master's program. However, this cut-off can be lowered on a case by case basis.

If you go to SGU's website, it states that the average undergrad gpa for incoming MSI's is a 3.1 with a science gpa of 3.2. Also, SGU is one of the few caribbean schools that actually rejects "unqualified" students. So, the answer to your question is probably not.

Oh, and Barry is in Miami Shores.

Does it have any linkage with the Florida schools? UM?

Also do u take medical courses during the program or graduate courses?

Hey thanks a lot for the info. It sounds like the program has done wonders for you. My situation is similar in that my MCATs are strong (38S) and i just need to make my academic record reflect my real ability. Hopefully if i end up in barry this coming january (18 month program) i will have similar fortune. Hey, maybe ill even meet you there.

thanks a lot

dave

flgirl81 said:

NRAI2001 said:
Does it have any linkage with the Florida schools? UM?

Also do u take medical courses during the program or graduate courses?

In answer to if med schools put your app on hold till they see your grades.....I believe if you don't make the gpa cut offs from your undergrad grades, the med schools will put your application on hold till after they see a semester of grades from the masters program. I know at Barry that kids who started in September and were simultaneously applying to med schools had Dr. Laudan(the biomedical sciences program director) write some kind of letter to say how you are a student in good standing etc. Call up Dr. Laudan though and ask exactly how that works.

Personally, I started last September and am finishing this December(so the 18 month program). I liked doing it that way because I had time to get two solid semesters of coursework in (plus summer classes) and send my application in June so it could be in the first batch to be processed by AMCAS and med schools. Applying late in the cycle puts you at a disadvantage.

The classes in the program are grad classes, but they are all med school type classes; it is supposed to mimic the type of classes you will take in your first two years of med school. And like I said before, there is no official link with med schools (besides St. Georges) but UM for instance has come to regard Barry students very highly because those that have entered their med school have consistently remained in the top percentile of their class.

Members don't see this ad :)
flgirl81 said:
In answer to if med schools put your app on hold till they see your grades.....I believe if you don't make the gpa cut offs from your undergrad grades, the med schools will put your application on hold till after they see a semester of grades from the masters program. I know at Barry that kids who started in September and were simultaneously applying to med schools had Dr. Laudan(the biomedical sciences program director) write some kind of letter to say how you are a student in good standing etc. Call up Dr. Laudan though and ask exactly how that works.

Personally, I started last September and am finishing this December(so the 18 month program). I liked doing it that way because I had time to get two solid semesters of coursework in (plus summer classes) and send my application in June so it could be in the first batch to be processed by AMCAS and med schools. Applying late in the cycle puts you at a disadvantage.

The classes in the program are grad classes, but they are all med school type classes; it is supposed to mimic the type of classes you will take in your first two years of med school. And like I said before, there is no official link with med schools (besides St. Georges) but UM for instance has come to regard Barry students very highly because those that have entered their med school have consistently remained in the top percentile of their class.

O wow, :thumbup: Do many Barry students go to UM? SGU?

NRAI2001 said:
O wow, :thumbup: Do many Barry students go to UM? SGU?

I do not know exact numbers....but people get into a variety of MD and DO schools, I only mention UM because that is the one I am most familiar with.

hi guys. I saw that this post was about Barry, so i wanted to chime in. I am going to go to Barry starting January, and had a question. Is the program really difficult, and do you think its possible to have a job while in school?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

jomajo said:
hi guys. I saw that this post was about Barry, so i wanted to chime in. I am going to go to Barry starting January, and had a question. Is the program really difficult, and do you think its possible to have a job while in school?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
it depends....are you doing the post bacc option or the regular one with all masters classes? Either way, you will take Neuroanatomy w/ lab for sure and either two electives or premed requirements (ie physics, orgo), so it will keep you busy. I know people who worked part time, honestly some of those people had trouble doing well in their classes. If you need to work, you can probably manage both. But if possible, focus your energy on the classes so you can rock out the masters and apply over the summer to med school :)

So if you do the Barry Biomed program and you do really well in it, what are your chances of getting into UM or anyother florida schools the following year?

NRAI2001 said:
So if you do the Barry Biomed program and you do really well in it, what are your chances of getting into UM or anyother florida schools the following year?

It depends....doing the program is just one of many factors for getting into a florida school. The schools give major preference to state residents. Your MCAT of course and your undergrad grades to some extent matter too. And like I said, getting your app in as early as possible is key. But as for your chances of getting into a florida school, I couldn't give you any kind of percentage. Just do your best and see what happens.

It depends....doing the program is just one of many factors for getting into a florida school. The schools give major preference to state residents. Your MCAT of course and your undergrad grades to some extent matter too. And like I said, getting your app in as early as possible is key. But as for your chances of getting into a florida school, I couldn't give you any kind of percentage. Just do your best and see what happens.

accepted. does anyone know if cadavars are available in the gross anatomy course??

How much can you take out in loans for Barry's postbacc? Does trad/nontrad status matter as to financial assistance?

It's really a shame that Barry has spiraled downhill after the supposedly-revered Dr. A left the program...I was highly considering Barry as a choice until these series of unfortunate events happened..

It's really a shame that Barry has spiraled downhill after the supposedly-revered Dr. A left the program...I was highly considering Barry as a choice until these series of unfortunate events happened..
what happened to the program?

I strongly recommend that you attempt to find another institution other than Barry. I am currently a student there and have had nothing but trouble my entire time here. First off, when I attended the Dean left and it took them a full year to find a replacement. As a result, the entire program fell apart. Many of the programs were lost and now the teachers used are last rate professors. Furthermore the Dean they found to replace the previous one is terrible. He doesn't respond to emails and is hardly ever available except to a few select students. Again I strongly recommend you go somewhere else. Sorry for the bad news, but I'm just trying to help you out before you get there and find out what it's really like.