Barry University BMS Fall 2008???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dchris21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I was just wondering who else was accepted into the Barry University Option I Program and planning to go in the fall! I'm still not sure yet as I am waiting for other schools....but I thought we could compare notes about Barry! The program sounds great! :):)

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out I was accepted on Tuesday, I believe in the Option I-2year program. I am really excited about the program! I have not heard anything from the other programs I applied to, but this is where I will be this fall.

Hey all!

I was just wondering who else was accepted into the Barry University Option I Program and planning to go in the fall! I'm still not sure yet as I am waiting for other schools....but I thought we could compare notes about Barry! The program sounds great! :):)

I just found out I was accepted on Tuesday, I believe in the Option I-2year program. I am really excited about the program! I have not heard anything from the other programs I applied to, but this is where I will be this fall.

Congrats guys!:DThis must be exciting eh?I'm a freshmen in the 3 year accelerated Pre-med/Biology program.Barry University is a great place to be...Good luck you guys!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied but have heard nothing

Barry is a good place. I graduate in a few weeks, and it surely was worth the 2 years. Be self-directed, research the application process yourself, and apply to medical school early and you will be fine.

Barry is a good place. I graduate in a few weeks, and it surely was worth the 2 years. Be self-directed, research the application process yourself, and apply to medical school early and you will be fine.
I am glad to hear that! I got such a great feeling from the dean and everyone else I spoke to about the program, but I still have to make a visit down there soon! Is the enviornment as supportive as it seems, from what I was told by the dean they are really interested in helping the students succeed in their future professions? If so, I can't wait!

I just got a conditional acceptance to the option I - 1 year program. Apparently I'm missing my general chemistry pre-req, so the program director told me that I should enroll in a summer class, and finish it right now, and that if I have it complete I can send it to him and I can attend. I have also been accepted to some other programs, but I know ill have to do this eventually either way, so im going to seriously consider this tonight.

I was wondering if anyone has taken this program, and what they thought of the difficulty/how well it prepared them/if they got into medical school

Which option do most people do? Option I (1 year accelerated) or Option II (2 year- 18months) It doesn't seem too hard to complete the core courses in 1 year and want to know how hard is it to do well, since grades play a major factor in med school admissions.

The dean told me that my DAT score was not that high, but I had a good GPA and tons of Dental Internship and Research. So i got accepted to option III. For option III he said i will have to take my elective classes first year and then do the core classes the other year. so basically the reverse. But he also said that if i raise my DAT score i can go for the other options?

i'll be giving up my acceptance to the option 1 program so that'll open up one more spot for someone. good luck to you guys! :)

I got accepted into the program too. I don't know what option, I think in option 3. I just called Barry today and found out they will not be offering graduate housing in the fall :mad:. I have no idea what I am going to do. Does anyone need a roommate?

Which option do most people do? Option I (1 year accelerated) or Option II (2 year- 18months) It doesn't seem too hard to complete the core courses in 1 year and want to know how hard is it to do well, since grades play a major factor in med school admissions.

you don't have a choice as to which option you would like. generally the people who get into option 2 are those that need more "help" than option 1 students. for instance, an option 2 student might need more time to study for DAT/MCAT since their scores are lower or may need more volunteering hours. therefore the admissions committee may feel it would be best for that student to take two years to slowly complete the MS degree while accumulating research/volunteering hours for their application. when you are in the 1 year program you have no time to have a job, volunteer, or do research. the 2 year program students typically only take night classes whereas the 1 year students are in school the whole day. both programs take about the same number of credits to graduate...but one track is going at half the pace academically than the other.

the classes aren't a cake walk. but if you study and try hard you will be rewarded. some classmates do great and some don't. but if you do well, med/dent schools WILL recognize u. barry may not be a georgetown, but it gets the job done.

im graduating from the barry program in a couple of days. like any other program, it has its positives and negatives. a lot of people complain about it when they get here but i see no reason for it. you learn the same material you'll be learning in med/dental school and have a thorough enough background that your 1st year will be easier. they have a link with st. georges university in the caribbean as well as nova southeastern university (in ft. lauderdale for both their D.O. and dental schools). the only thing that sucks is the neighbor"hood" around it. lets just say its not the nicest place to live, much less walk around at night. the faculty is really helpful and supportive as are all the other students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on getting in for fall. I just got my acceptance this afternoon for option one. I'm looking forward to it, what are your thoughts so far?

I just found out this afternoon I got into Barry Option 2. Still waiting to hear from other schools, but if no one else says yes. I'll be at Barry.

I was offered conditional acceptance yesterday, on the basis that I complete Gen Chem I this summer. I had a subpar grade in freshman year of undergrad. As with the previous poster it seems like I will need to retake this class anyway to have a shot at getting into Med School. I was waitlisted at Cincinnati, but the waitlist is extremely long this year so my hopes there aren't too high. I still have 5 other schools to hear back from, but until then Barry looks like the place for me. Dr. Laudan said they had a very high acceptance rate into professional schools this year 60-some out of 70-some. I was just wondering how many of those were into American Allopathic schools. Anyone have an idea??

any pre-dents going here? I still haven't heard anything from them

I'm pre-dent, was accepted there, but I haven't decided if I'm going there. But that is likely a no because my nonrefundable $500 deposit is due tomorrow. Hehe. I got accepted into UMDNJ and I think I'm gonna go unless I get into Boston, Tufts or Midwestern, then I'll go there.

I'm kinda sad I gotta turn down Barry because I live in Florida and would like to stay, and them being the first ones to accept me and the personal call telling me I was accepted meant a lot. But I can't send em $500 without knowing about the others.

im graduating from the barry program in a couple of days. like any other program, it has its positives and negatives. a lot of people complain about it when they get here but i see no reason for it.

What kind of complaints?

Maybe you should give them a call to check on your application. I am pre-med, but once my application was complete it took less than a few days to hear I was accepted. Best of luck!

im a pre dent and got into barry.

I am also predental. Going for the option one program this fall. Any one looking for a roomate?

am I the only one who hasn't gotten in ANYWHERE yet?

am I the only one who hasn't gotten in ANYWHERE yet?

Sorry to hear you haven't gotten in anywhere. Where did you apply? Whats stats do you have?

make sure you contact the admissions and see if your file is actually complete. Sometimes if they made a mistake you might not find out until its too late for them to still accept you.

They confirmed my complete application May 20th. It was reviewed on May 21st (yesterday). Some guy from the adcom called my cell around 9pm to tell me I was accepted to the option I program. Basically...not a long turnaround time to make a decision.

wow... that was really quick.

A warning about Barry University:

I have a sister attending the Graduate Social Work program. She was sexually harassed at the social work agency she interned at, and has since received retaliation in the form of: false accusations, withheld graduation (with just 45 intern hours left), and was kicked out of the social work program this week by the Social Work Dean, whom we believe is behind all this nonsense. Do not let Barry’s Christian facade fool you, they are just like any other university, and will ruin peoples lives to keep their reputation and money.

i'm still waiting to hear back from barry... but for those of you who've been accepted already, what kind of stats did you have?

anyone attending barry in the fall for sure and looking for a roommate?

I just found out about Barry's program and I really want to apply. Its recommended to be done by July so i technically have time.

And these are my stats so I don't know if Barry will help me get into medical school but I really want to try. I'm willing to kill myself for a 4.0 at Barry. I've been raising my gpa since my fist semester's of ******edness.

GPA: 2.7
Science GPA 2.4
MCATS: 27

I just found out about Barry's program and I really want to apply. Its recommended to be done by July so i technically have time.

And these are my stats so I don't know if Barry will help me get into medical school but I really want to try. I'm willing to kill myself for a 4.0 at Barry. I've been raising my gpa since my fist semester's of ******edness.

GPA: 2.7
Science GPA 2.4
MCATS: 27
I would apply it never hurts to try, and your right the deadline is not until July so you have time.

if i get in, i will be :]

have you tried calling them and finding out your application status. the people in the admissions office are very nice and helpful.

hope i get to see you in august.

Just found out a couple of days ago that I've been accepted to the 2 yr program. For those of you who are in the 2 yr or have finished, is it wise to apply to medical schools after the first year while you're completing the 2nd? Or is it better to wait till after you're done?

I am attending Barry for Fall 2008 for the 1 year program. When I spoke to the Dean while I was applying he said it took only 48 hours to hear back and I got accepted the day after I completed my application- very fast response. I was wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate with me and my boyfriend. I am very clean and responsible!!

Does anyone know if it is possible to work while doing this program and how long each day would be? And are you guys applying to dental/med schools now or after you graduate from the program?

Does anyone know if it is possible to work while doing this program and how long each day would be? And are you guys applying to dental/med schools now or after you graduate from the program?

its pretty much unheard of to work while doing the 1 year program. i guess you COULD fit in 1-2 days on friday-sat nights, but you will def need some of the other time to study. i only know of 1 person in the 1 year program out of 40 that worked part-time.....and that person struggled in courses. some of the 2 years work, but they have classes that start around 6pm.

your schedule for some days will be from 8-3pm....other days you might have 10-1pm. it just depends. but you WILL have fridays off during the first semester.

im graduating from the barry program in a couple of days. like any other program, it has its positives and negatives. a lot of people complain about it when they get here but i see no reason for it. you learn the same material you'll be learning in med/dental school and have a thorough enough background that your 1st year will be easier. they have a link with st. georges university in the caribbean as well as nova southeastern university (in ft. lauderdale for both their D.O. and dental schools). the only thing that sucks is the neighbor"hood" around it. lets just say its not the nicest place to live, much less walk around at night. the faculty is really helpful and supportive as are all the other students.

what are the complaints that people make upon getting there?

I'm pre-dent, was accepted there, but I haven't decided if I'm going there. But that is likely a no because my nonrefundable $500 deposit is due tomorrow. Hehe. I got accepted into UMDNJ and I think I'm gonna go unless I get into Boston, Tufts or Midwestern, then I'll go there.

I'm kinda sad I gotta turn down Barry because I live in Florida and would like to stay, and them being the first ones to accept me and the personal call telling me I was accepted meant a lot. But I can't send em $500 without knowing about the others.

i'm in exactly the same position. i also applied to tufts, umdnj, nymc, pcom, and boston. so far i've only heard back from barry.

the upside to being at barry is that it's relatively close to home (i'm a FL resident) and that i can complete it in a year, but i really don't know much about the program other than what dr. laudan told me. it definitely doesn't have the same reputation that gtown and cincinnati have.

does anyone know how it compares to boston, tufts, undnj, nymc, pcom, etc (in terms of cost, effectiveness, living experience, research, etc)?

Last edited:
I just got the call not more than an hour ago that I got the last spot in the 1-yr program! I'm so excitied but i'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools...Any idea as to how this program compares to the VCU post-bacc biochem one?

hey guys, anybody enrolled in option 1 this fall?

Just gave up my position for Option I - 1 yr!

Is anyone out there Pre-Optometry that's attending Barry, whatever option? Please say Yes, that will make me feel 10x better...haha

nice... housing office told me that there is no graduate housing, so out of state students have to find their own places to live. I am flying to miami in a week or two, just to see whats around there. any advice? what are other out of state students planning on doing?
thanks everybody.

nice... housing office told me that there is no graduate housing, so out of state students have to find their own places to live. I am flying to miami in a week or two, just to see whats around there. any advice? what are other out of state students planning on doing?
thanks everybody.
I am going down there next week to look at some places, I have been on all the apartment sites (apartments.com, apartmentguide, etc..). I have also looked into renting a condo through r1s1.com, and craigslist. Next week I am going to look at some of the places I liked just to make sure they really are, what they say they are, becuase I am an oos! Hopfully I'll find something so that I don't have to worry about housing anymore.

So I finally decided on Barry. I'll be down looking at places to live in a few weeks. I'm waiting for a friend of mine who lives in the area to give me some ideas on where to find decent housing. Anyway, I was thinking about starting a Facebook group so that everyone can talk to each other (about roommates, apartments, favorite colors...) in one area rather than having to search through all the different threads. I also figured I'd see if I could get the Dean to send it out in a email to everyone. Let me know what you think. Anyway, see you in August.

Last edited:
So I went ahead and made the facebook group for people going to the BMS program this fall. Go ahead and jump on facebook and search

Barry University BMS Options 1,2,& 3 Begining Fall 2008

The group is open so go join and chat away

Didn't notice this thread but I got accepted into their Option I program in March. Where is everyone living?

Where did you apply for med school and did you get in?

you don't have a choice as to which option you would like. generally the people who get into option 2 are those that need more "help" than option 1 students. for instance, an option 2 student might need more time to study for DAT/MCAT since their scores are lower or may need more volunteering hours. therefore the admissions committee may feel it would be best for that student to take two years to slowly complete the MS degree while accumulating research/volunteering hours for their application. when you are in the 1 year program you have no time to have a job, volunteer, or do research. the 2 year program students typically only take night classes whereas the 1 year students are in school the whole day. both programs take about the same number of credits to graduate...but one track is going at half the pace academically than the other.

the classes aren't a cake walk. but if you study and try hard you will be rewarded. some classmates do great and some don't. but if you do well, med/dent schools WILL recognize u. barry may not be a georgetown, but it gets the job done.

thanks for that last sentence. This is the only program that I could find that starts in the spring. Any advice for someone starting in the spring?