Barry University M.S. Biomedical Sciences Program 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DangHotpotato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm making a thread for those interested, applying, or have applied to the Barry U. MBS program! If you have questions feel free to leave them here!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm interested in applying this round to the Barry U. MBS program and I have some questions!

1.) What are your pros and cons of the program?
2.) What's a typical day to day? Classes Mon-Fri?
3.) Living arrangements in Miami?
4.) Class size?
5.) Is there competitiveness between your class?
6.) How are the professors?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm interested in applying this round to the Barry U. MBS program and I have some questions!

1.) What are your pros and cons of the program?
2.) What's a typical day to day? Classes Mon-Fri?
3.) Living arrangements in Miami?
4.) Class size?
5.) Is there competitiveness between your class?
6.) How are the professors?

Pros: An overwhelming number of graduates of the program are accepted into their professional school (med, dent, podiatry, etc), the material is very similar to the material you learn in professional school so it does prepare you well provided you do the work. The student ran clubs offer great opportunities to beef up your application like volunteering, shadowing, standardized testing work shops, and help preparing your personal statement.
Cons: No cadaver lab for anatomy. This may be a deal breaker as learning on plastic models differ obviously from a cadaver.

- The program runs at different speeds depending on your incoming credentials. Some students blow through the program in 1 year and it's about as difficult as a typical first year of professional school; you completely 34 credit hours in one year. There are speeds in between and then you can go as slow as the 2 year track where you complete 16 credit hours a year, plus you would most likely prepare to retake your standardized test of choice during the summer after your first year. Some classes are two days a week and some are one day a week. But there is plenty of time to study and work on improving your credentials.

- The campus is in Hollywood Florida and generally there are a lot of options to choose from depending on your standard of living.

- Typically class sizes range from 15 to about 70ish depending on if it's a core class or an elective.

- There's no competition within the program. Generally speaking, as long as a student maintains a competitive GPA and makes an effort to improve their app by continue adding hours of volunteering, shadowing etc., their chances of getting in to a school of that professional are pretty high.

- Professors are a mixed bag. Some are funny, some are serious and some have little patience. But the material is fair at the end of the day and they understand they are there to help improve your chance of bettering yourself as a student and applicant

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! One last question(s) I have is what is a competitive GRE score? And what is the lowest GRE score you heard of that was still accepted to the program?

Thank you for your response! One last question(s) I have is what is a competitive GRE score? And what is the lowest GRE score you heard of that was still accepted to the program?

I'm going to plug the Barry admissions page for this since I'm just a student. However, going off of that page, Barry recommends a score of 150 or higher in both the verbal and quantitative sections. I personally don't know how competitive a 150 is. Most students in the program had a MCAT or DAT score (DAT for me), but I will say the admissions process is inclusive in that all of your application is considered. I've seen people with rock bottom scores but fair GPA's be accepted into the program (via word of mouth) and vice versa. In my experience, I barely met the minimum requirements and I was accepted.

Admissions Requirements

I'm making a thread for those interested, applying, or have applied to the Barry U. MBS program! If you have questions feel free to leave them here!
Hi! i have a couple questions regarding the program:
1. I saw that in the requirements it said that a student must have at least a 3.0 gpa, I have around a 2.7... have you heard of anyone get in with low gpa's?

2. I took orgo II and got a c- but plan on taking it over the summer again before the program starts so I can get a higher grade because it said the program requires a c in core courses, do you think they would accept this?

3. I'm pre-dental but didnt take the DAT, i plan on taking the GRE so I can apply to the program since DAT tests are canceled, do you think they would accept this?

4. In the requirements it says LOR from two science professors, I only have one science professor because the other ones never answered me, Would they take LOR from other professors and dentists?

I'm just seeing if its worth applying to with slim chances.

1. I saw that in the requirements it said that a student must have at least a 3.0 gpa, I have around a 2.7... have you heard of anyone get in with low gpa's?

2. I took orgo II and got a c- but plan on taking it over the summer again before the program starts so I can get a higher grade because it said the program requires a c in core courses, do you think they would accept this?

3. I'm pre-dental but didnt take the DAT, i plan on taking the GRE so I can apply to the program since DAT tests are canceled, do you think they would accept this?

4. In the requirements it says LOR from two science professors, I only have one science professor because the other ones never answered me, Would they take LOR from other professors and dentists?

I think the app few is around $30 so if it's something you can spare, I would send your application and see what happens, regardless.

1. I believe it may be possible to be accepted with a sub 3.0 GPA. One thing to consider is can you properly convey why your GPA is not at the minimum? (not to me, but if you were to apply) As in, maybe you've spent most of your time doing extracurriculars like volunteering or shadowing, and that's why your grades suffered. Or if you had recurrent personal/ life obstacles. Be sure that you can explain your life in your personal statement or if there is a section that allows you to explain yourself.

2. I would strongly recommend reaching the director of the program Admissions question as usually course requirements are pretty standard. I personally do not of any students in the program that have gotten below in C in any of the required prerequisites. I will say I've had exceptions made by communicating with admissions while applying to dental schools in the past. You could be accepted but required to complete Orgo II during your time at barry

3. They will accept a GRE score!

4. Admissions will also accept letters from an employer or advisor as well. I'm not sure what constitutes an advisor. but if your dentist will recommend you then I would 100% add that as your second letter, as you are pre-dental.

what classes are taken over the summer?

It depends! Some students won’t take any classes in the summer after their first year to study for standardized tests. Otherwise there is Histology, Physiology, and maybe Biochemistry (I do not have the course catalog in front of me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! Thank you for starting this thread, I’m applying for fall! I see a lot of the apts in the area are expensive! Do you have any suggestive on popular complexes or how to find a roommate?

I’m in the same boat as you! My gpa is a 2.7, and have c in prereqs and I have only one science LOR, another from the professor I did research with and one doctor. And I’m taking the GRE in 2 weeks. I called the program director, he said we can get accepted with a 2.7 but we should take and do well on the GRE and he suggested applying in the spring because it is less competitive.

Hey! Thank you for starting this thread, I’m applying for fall! I see a lot of the apts in the area are expensive! Do you have any suggestive on popular complexes or how to find a roommate?

Congratulations on your acceptance! On Facebook you can find the Barry BMS Society page. There's usually someone looking for a room mate or a room to sublet. If you're looking to room with other students in the program that's your best bet! And depending on your budget the area can get expensive very quickly! A lot of students live with a couple miles of the campus though and tend to car pool to save money! Definitely check that page out and see if you meet some people :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for a roommate in the Fall as well!
I suggest following that page on Facebook (Barry BMS Society) and connecting with other students that are in the program already or are going to start like you!

Hello! If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats and what track were you accepted for?

Hello! If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats and what track were you accepted for?

Hey! Sorry, I have not applied yet! I would be coming from D.C. so was trying to be informed about living arrangements even though it might be a long shot. I am taking my GRE next week and my undergrad GPA is a 2.7. I'm applying to the medical track. What about you?

Hey! Sorry, I have not applied yet! I would be coming from D.C. so was trying to be informed about living arrangements even though it might be a long shot. I am taking my GRE next week and my undergrad GPA is a 2.7. I'm applying to the medical track. What about you?
Currently also applying! 3.1 GPA , and due to COVID-19, won't have a GRE score to apply with. However, they're waiving test scores. Very nervous about that. I'm wanting to do the dental track

Currently also applying! 3.1 GPA , and due to COVID-19, won't have a GRE score to apply with. However, they're waiving test scores. Very nervous about that. I'm wanting to do the dental track

Who told you they were waiving test scores? the website said they are accepting the GRE at home and that you have to email them your circumstances if you are not able to take the GRE from home.

Who told you they were waiving test scores? the website said they are accepting the GRE at home and that you have to email them your circumstances if you are not able to take the GRE from home.
I called the school. my devices weren't approved for at home testing

Oh wow! Im stressing about this exam, trying to study last minute because I was orginially going to take the MCAT before it got cancelled. Maybe I should get it waived but my GPA is so low idk! I may call and ask!

Definitely call admissions! But if your GPA is below the minimum, you should probably take the exam so that they have other scores to go off of on your app!

Is anyone here doing the one year track? I’m starting in the summer and would love to connect with future classmates!

With housing, how much would you say that a student would have to take out in loans on top of the $34,000? And where did you stay during the program?

With housing, how much would you say that a student would have to take out in loans on top of the $34,000? And where did you stay during the program?

Living cost depends on your budget honestly. You can room with 3 other students and be fine. I live in a 2/2 near NSU and it's about $2,100 month after all bills. so about a grand per person. You can find cheaper around the Barry campus however for sure. You should check the Barry BMS society page for people looking for room mates!

How are classes online going? What classes are you taking?
It's not bad so far it definitely feels different than in person but the professors are nice and are there to help you! You definitely need to start studying from day one and want to maybe even stay ahead since some classes have more information. I'm currently taking biochemistry 2 and pathophysiology and on the one -year track.

Hi all! Is this program one year? Also, when does the program begin and end? Thank you!
there's 3 paths- one year,18 months, and 2 years. The admissions committee puts you on a track where they think you will succeed but you can always extend the program but can't shorten it. It depends on your test scores/ grade in class etc.

I’ve been accepted into the program! 2 year track but I still have to take undergrad Physics 2! Anyone else in the same situation of having to take an undergrad course in grad school?

I’ve been accepted into the program! 2 year track but I still have to take undergrad Physics 2! Anyone else in the same situation of having to take an undergrad course in grad school?

I recommend completing the course asap if you can! I know people who started the program without completing their obligations and weren’t able to graduate/continue the program. It would be better to complete physics II before you start as the program will have you studying everyday

I recommend completing the course asap if you can! I know people who started the program without completing their obligations and weren’t able to graduate/continue the program. It would be better to complete physics II before you start as the program will have you studying everyday

I’m currently in physics 1 so I’d have to take the course over next summer

I am literally in the same boat as you, what are you thinking of doing?

I'm set for the 18 month track but I've already started the application process for this cycle. Is the track I'm on still possible?
have u taken the DAT and are you happy w your score? or will you have to retake it?

I am also on the 18 month track but after speaking to a BARRY representative and informed them I do not need to retake my DATthey informed me if I was successful in my first semester at BARRY there was a possibility I could complete the program by the end of summer 2021. Which is perfect to start dental school in the Fall 2021.

Has anyone gotten in with around a 2.9 gpa? I have a 2.87 but didn't do the best on the gre - got a 290 on gre. Any feedback?

I have a 3.2gpa but a super low dat, but i will be retaking it in july. anyone know the likelihood of not being accepted?

has anyone heard back that applied within the last two weeks?

Their website!
did you receive any email from them stating they received your app? i applied thru postbaccas but haven't received any type of notification whatsoever lol but i did from MWU AZ and IL stating they received my app.

did you receive any email from them stating they received your app? i applied thru postbaccas but haven't received any type of notification whatsoever lol but i did from MWU AZ and IL stating they received my app.
I checked the mybarry portal and it said everything was received. I actually JUST got accepted because i went to check my portal!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I checked the mybarry portal and it said everything was received. I actually JUST got accepted because i went to check my portal!!!
congrats !!! do you think you're going to accept?

i don't even have a barry portal.... lol im so confused. I also emailed a few people and no one has gotten back to me.

congrats !!! do you think you're going to accept?

i don't even have a barry portal.... lol im so confused. I also emailed a few people and no one has gotten back to me.
Thanks! I'm going to wait to hear back from rutgers before I deside.. I'm from Philly so closer to home would be ideal but both programs are amazing so Idk which one I would pick! I would email Denise ( [email protected] ) or Pamela ([email protected]) . Or email them both honestly and see which one gets back to you faster. They've helped me a lot with info

Thanks! I'm going to wait to hear back from rutgers before I deside.. I'm from Philly so closer to home would be ideal but both programs are amazing so Idk which one I would pick! I would email Denise ( [email protected] ) or Pamela ([email protected]) . Or email them both honestly and see which one gets back to you faster. They've helped me a lot with info

I got accepted into Rutgers too!

I just got an email from Denise this morning that I should hear back in a couple of weeks. I'm kinda leaning towards Barry if I get accepted since most of their students get into VCU Nova or Tufts but the rent around there is pretty expensive. I'm only a 20 min drive from Rutgers so def would save money on housing. Let's switch acceptance LOL

I just got an email from Denise this morning that I should hear back in a couple of weeks. I'm kinda leaning towards Barry if I get accepted since most of their students get into VCU Nova or Tufts but the rent around there is pretty expensive. I'm only a 20 min drive from Rutgers so def would save money on housing. Let's switch acceptance LOL
hahaha honestly! Barry is also longer then a year i think so idk if i would want that. I honestly don’t know which one I would pick