Step I Bartter's vs Gitelman's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MudPhud20XX

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FC says:

"Gitelman syndrome is characterized by a mutation in the Na+/Cl- transporter in the distal convoluted tubule.
  • Unlike Bartter syndrome, which usually leads to hypercalciuria, Gitelman syndrome causehypocalciuria, as calcium is spared in the distal convoluted tubule. Patients with Gitelman syndrome also present with hypomagnesemia."
Alright, so I get the hypocalciuria in Gitelman since with defective Na+/Cl- transporter you get steeper Na gradient that facilitates Ca2+ absorption via Na/Ca2+ transporter.

But I can't seem to understand the mechanism for hypercalciuria in Bartter. Can anyone help me out?

Many thanks in advance.