Bascom Palmer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of current residents at Bascom Palmer and where they went to medical school? Obviously, this is one of the best programs, but what do they look for in applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't personally know any of the residents at BP, but (as is the case with any top tier residency program) the applicant pool is highly competitive. You're dealing with students from top US medical schools with excellent USMLE scores, great grades and evaluations from school, and usually solid research.
If you're interested in going there, it would certainly help if you did an elective there and come out looking very impressive.
Best of luck!!

Based upon my experiences, I think BPEI tends to pay less
attention to your medical school than other top 10 programs.
I interviewed there last year, coming from a 'no-name' state
school (without doing an away elective there).

I would estimate that about 30% of the interviewees were from
schools outside the top 30 (myself included). It obviously a great
program, but it was not for me (I'm not implying that I would have
matched there if I had wanted to).

Members don't see this ad :)
Guttata,

Just curious what aspect(s) of the program made you feel that it was NOT for you...

I was just surfing and saw this post...

I don't know about the current residents, but next years PGY-2 class is from a fairly mixed bag of schools geographically (and tuition-wise too :) ).

1) Univeristy of Iowa
2) Duke
3) Stanford
4) Univ. of Miami
5) Univ. of Cincinnati
6) Baylor College of Medicine
7) Harvard Medical School

Not sure what the bashing was? A mixed bag just means different.

The noun "mixed bag" has 1 sense in WordNet.

1. assortment, mixture, mixed bag, miscellany, miscellanea, variety, salmagundi, smorgasbord, potpourri, motley -- (a collection containing a variety of sorts of things; "a great assortment of cars was on display"; "he had a variety of disorders"; "a veritable smorgasbord of religions")

Unlike say Doheney which reportedly takes a lot of Ivy leaguers and folks from JH, Bascom seems to take people from all over (a mixed bag) including "hicks" like me from Tennessee. In my message, I was just trying to convey that you DON'T have to go to HMS or JH to have a shot at going to Bascom. You can be like me and pay that in-state tuition at a big public institution and still do just fine.

Relax.... :)

When i was at Bascom i got the impression they are most interested in individuals who are willing to work REALLY hard during residency...as bascom's residency is quite rigorous compared to most others (long hours, lots of call, and the infamous bascom eye ER which is almost always busy...). On the flip side, the experience you gain at bascom is virtually second to none other, as the number of procedures/level of experience residents come out with from there is amazing (be it from cataracts, to trabs, to vits; the numbers are amazing across the board).

Baylor_eye said:
I was just surfing and saw this post...

I don't know about the current residents, but next years PGY-2 class is from a fairly mixed bag of schools geographically (and tuition-wise too :) ).

1) Univeristy of Iowa
2) Duke
3) Stanford
4) Univ. of Miami
5) Univ. of Cincinnati
6) Baylor College of Medicine
7) Harvard Medical School
You may consider the above list a mixed bag of schools, but the 6 of 7 of the above schools have very academic (or at least that's their reputation) ophthalmology departments. So there may be some snobbishness.

BPEI is reportedly an excellent residency program. However, as with all programs, there are some negatives including those that will not find in any book, magazine, or possibly even in talking with a resident (as they may not admit it). I don't want to imply that the it's a bad program so I'll leave the gossip off this very public forum. :smuggrin:

Visioncam said:
... BPEI is reportedly an excellent residency program. However, as with all programs, there are some negatives including those that will not find in any book, magazine, or possibly even in talking with a resident (as they may not admit it). I don't want to imply that the it's a bad program so I'll leave the gossip off this very public forum. :smuggrin:

Oh come on... you've got us interested now. Tell us the gossip :D I promise I won't tell anyone ;)