Bascom Palmer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Free Radicle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anybody who went to the BPEI interview... I was curious to what people thought about the work hours for the first years. They said the first years spend most of their time in the eye ER. During the interview I never encoutered one first year and they were not at that evenings outing. Are the first years miserable?? Any thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

Which day did you interview on because I met some of the 1st years on Friday during the interview day, but none of the 1st yrs came out later that night.

Free Radicle said:
For anybody who went to the BPEI interview... I was curious to what people thought about the work hours for the first years. They said the first years spend most of their time in the eye ER. During the interview I never encoutered one first year and they were not at that evenings outing. Are the first years miserable?? Any thoughts???

doodpac said:
Which day did you interview on because I met some of the 1st years on Friday during the interview day, but none of the 1st yrs came out later that night.

Friday - did they seem happy or did you get some other feeling from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for this current year's crop of first years, but I talked to a friend who is now a 2nd year (and was therefore a recent 1st year.) This resident said they worked hard the first year but certainly not to the point of exhaustion and overall, she was very very happy, even during the busiest times of 1st year.

Free Radicle said:
Friday - did they seem happy or did you get some other feeling from them?

Free Radicle said:

They were busy learning how to do refractions in spanish.

"?Mejor o peyor? ?Uno o dos?"
:laugh:

I'm a first year right now, and I have to say that I am having a great time here at Bascom Palmer. I'm not even six months into the residency, and I've already done 10+ peripheral iridotomies, 30+ PRPs, 15 focals, multiple lid lac repairs (some of my buds have even done marginal lac repairs), chalazia, lid biopsies (not full thickness), 10 intravitreal injections (kenalog, avastin) a few YAG capsulotomies...the list goes on.

I've also seen a lot of AMAZING disease through the emergency room. Ocular histoplasmosis, retinitis pigmentosa, VKH, MEWDS, PML, toxo, Axenfeld Reigers, retinoblastoma, fungal endophthalmitis, CMV retinitis, etc.

The hours are not bad either (especially when you compare to medicine and surgery). You will work hard, but how else will you learn? We are responsible for staffing the emergency room 24/7 so one of us is there at all times.

As for the morale--the seven of us are all very happy. We all get along extremely well, even outside the workplace. Our program director also looks out for us(he meets with us at least monthly asking for feedback).

Reactions: 1 user
The BP res director even looked out for the optometry externs. He is very much pro-teaching. All the faculty there were outstanding, but him, along with the ocular tumor guru over there really stood out in my mind as the most caring for their students.

PS - Does the director still wear red on busy days?

last_minute said:
I'm a first year right now, and I have to say that I am having a great time here at Bascom Palmer. I'm not even six months into the residency, and I've already done 10+ peripheral iridotomies, 30+ PRPs, 15 focals, multiple lid lac repairs (some of my buds have even done marginal lac repairs), chalazia, lid biopsies (not full thickness), 10 intravitreal injections (kenalog, avastin) a few YAG capsulotomies...the list goes on.

I've also seen a lot of AMAZING disease through the emergency room. Ocular histoplasmosis, retinitis pigmentosa, VKH, MEWDS, PML, toxo, Axenfeld Reigers, retinoblastoma, fungal endophthalmitis, CMV retinitis, etc.

The hours are not bad either (especially when you compare to medicine and surgery). You will work hard, but how else will you learn? We are responsible for staffing the emergency room 24/7 so one of us is there at all times.

As for the morale--the seven of us are all very happy. We all get along extremely well, even outside the workplace. Our program director also looks out for us(he meets with us at least monthly asking for feedback).

Do you think Bascom Palmer is a FMG friendly hostpital? With a USMLE score of 90% does a FMG have a chance?

What are people's thoughts on the chairman at BPEI? Good? Bad?

last_minute said:
I'm a first year right now, and I have to say that I am having a great time here at Bascom Palmer............. Our program director also looks out for us(he meets with us at least monthly asking for feedback).

Thanks for the feedback. Are these procedures done under the supervision of an attedending for a senior resident?

Bumping this old thread. Would be good to get input from current residents.

Could any current residents or fellows @BPEI provide an update please?

Could any current residents or fellows @BPEI provide an update please?

Not sure which part of this specifically you'd like an update on (feel free to ask a specific question), but pretty much BPEI is unchanged from the above comments. It's a great place to train, there is definitely a Bascom "family" culture that makes your hard days seem fine (this isn't really mentioned above, but it's certainly the way things are at Bascom, and always has been). We have good supervision for procedures, diverse and insane pathology, and the days are long and tough for first years and sometimes in other years as well (depends on the rotation). Again, as stated above, nothing compared to gen surg. In speaking with friends at other ophtho residencies with an eye ER or similar patient populations, there are tough hours across the board.

No one will ever sugar coat that at BPEI, you will work you butt off. Don't want long hours, or you have questions of if that's a fit for you...then that's fine, and totally normal. It's not for everyone. But, don't rank highly places with eye ER's and large indigent patient populations. It's the same for everywhere that's like BPEI...Wills, MEEI, UCLA, USC, Emory, etc, etc (just naming some off the top of my head, not meant to be an exhaustive list). They may have different training philosophies/environments at each program, but the hours are all the same. Hope this helps.

Not sure which part of this specifically you'd like an update on (feel free to ask a specific question), but pretty much BPEI is unchanged from the above comments. It's a great place to train, there is definitely a Bascom "family" culture that makes your hard days seem fine (this isn't really mentioned above, but it's certainly the way things are at Bascom, and always has been). We have good supervision for procedures, diverse and insane pathology, and the days are long and tough for first years and sometimes in other years as well (depends on the rotation). Again, as stated above, nothing compared to gen surg. In speaking with friends at other ophtho residencies with an eye ER or similar patient populations, there are tough hours across the board.

No one will ever sugar coat that at BPEI, you will work you butt off. Don't want long hours, or you have questions of if that's a fit for you...then that's fine, and totally normal. It's not for everyone. But, don't rank highly places with eye ER's and large indigent patient populations. It's the same for everywhere that's like BPEI...Wills, MEEI, UCLA, USC, Emory, etc, etc (just naming some off the top of my head, not meant to be an exhaustive list). They may have different training philosophies/environments at each program, but the hours are all the same. Hope this helps.

Based on my interview experience there for residency and for fellowship I agree with all that is said here. I wrote up a pretty lengthy review of the program back when I interviewed (should be filed away somewhere in the compendium), but suffice it to say I do not think many programs offer a VA, county, and private patient population with the county patients being seen in the mother ship. One of the most privileged residencies out there for sure.