Basic ITE exam for 1st year residents percentiles

Started by SCCBCCAK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SCCBCCAK

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering how difficult/ detailed the exam is or if anyone has the percentile charting based on the right questions? How much prep/ textbook is needed to score in higher percentiles? Is this exam very easy that one wrong question can set you back many percentiles?
 
Not sure if things are still the same (see above), but when I was a first year and scored in the 98th percentile for first years, it was equivalent to about the 60th percentile for third years. The curve is kind to first years. I was burning the midnight oil pretty hard that year with my face in the books constantly because I knew I had a kid on the way and things would get a bit harder for me thereafter.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering how difficult/ detailed the exam is or if anyone has the percentile charting based on the right questions? How much prep/ textbook is needed to score in higher percentiles? Is this exam very easy that one wrong question can set you back many percentiles?

3rd percentile = board certified dermatologist. So don't worry too much.
BASIC Exam is new and from what I've heard - it's quite basic / easy.
 
Most certainly
But I have to say those percentiles seem meaningless when you drop so far with a few questions

I don’t understand the purpose of percentiles at that level. You take the best test takers in medicine, give them like less than 200 questions, and then stratify. It’s needless and an unnecessary source of grief to prepare for a board exam that has a 99% or better pass rate
 
I don’t understand the purpose of percentiles at that level. You take the best test takers in medicine, give them like less than 200 questions, and then stratify. It’s needless and an unnecessary source of grief to prepare for a board exam that has a 99% or better pass rate

We need more common sense like this in the GME world