Basic LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joescollegiate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting LORs from former employer (worked closely with her for 1.5 years), professor I currently TA for, dr I shadowed for 100 hours, dr I did research with for about 3 years, pre health committee, and dr I currently do research with. I might get LOR from philosophy prof. Is it a problem to have 2 of the letters coming from MDs I did/do research for? Any obvious flaws with who I'm getting them from?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't see 6 LOR's "hurting" your application, but after a point, I don't know that they help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have 2 science letters from professors whose courses you have taken? Some schools can be restrictive in these requirements. Other than that, I don't see why they would hurt unless they're weak and draw attention away from your stronger letters.

EDIT: Nvm, you have a committee letter.

Okay thanks. I didn't think there was a problem but a current medical student seemed to think it might be problematic. So, since he has been through the process already, I was a little worried.

I asked for an extra recommendation letter from a professor just in case one of the other professors missed the deadline, was too busy to write one later, was on vacation, etc. I wanted to be on the safe side. After everything is done, you can ask the office to remove the letter from your file.