Basic Pathology vs. Pathologic Basis of Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only want to make a comparison between Robbins Basic Pathology & Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease.
I know That one is some kind of review or a huge review, but can Basic Pathology replace Pathologic Basis of Disease?

Members don't see this ad.

Basic Pathology, despite its name, is a fully fledged textbook which contains more detail than any med students will need. It has great coverage of any condition you will study as a student (provided it has pathologic basis: look elsewhere for theories behind psychiatric disorders).

Many say these two titles are like the baby Moore vs big Moore, but I say that they're more like big Moore vs Gray's Anatomy.

Basic Pathology will suit the vast majority of med students. Only buy the big Robbins if you're the obsessive type and want all the fineprint.

Regards

(edit): Forgot to add: A big advantage of the Basic Pathology is that it's light enough to carry to and from class, without having to resort to a huge rolling backpack and thus revealing the true identity behind the cool med student facade. :)

I think Ezekial20 said things pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fine, nobody can say that Robbins books of Pathology come second in place to any other books, but I see that Basic Pathology has taken some of the cases in Pathologic basis of disease and talk about them thoroughly, wheras at the same time ignored other cases even their names.

I think it would be better to put all cases with reduced information , than putting full information of only some cases.

I'm glad I found this thread on time, I need to buy one of those two books soon since I started my pathology course today.

Our teacher recommends Pathologic Basis of Disease, 7th edition, but I am not so sure after reading this. I don't think it is a good idea to buy a huge book and end up reading less than 25% of it. So perhaps I'll buy Basic Pathology instead.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think that Pathologic Basis of Disease was a better move. Yea, It has more detail but that can be better in terms of understanding underlying circumstances. I don't read of it because it is way to freakin' much. But a good path faculty should be able to point out the important sections. Just my opinion tho.