Basic Personal Statement Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optostudent2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I can't seem to find basic information regarding the optometry school personal statement. I just want to know what font, size, spacing, and margins they prefer. Do you include a title? Your name? What is the general professional format? I didn't want to assume because some websites say single spaced and others say double- so I thought I'd ask the community here. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is not an essay that you submit to turnitin or for your college professors. You can have it neat when you're typing it up, but you're gonna paste everything into the online application text box provided. No name, title (i guess you can include one if you have extra character space), font, size, or margins are needed to worry about.
Literally write a block with one enter (like I just did here) between each paragraph because spacing, indents, and extra enters are counted in the character count limit of 4500.

Reactions: 1 user
I've completed that portion. But I've seen some schools, like KYCO for example, have an option to upload a document of "an essay addressing your application, desire to be an optometrist and any special considerations you would like to add". In that case, it would entail the details I mentioned above since it is an uploaded doc. So I guess it's less like the "personal statement" that is copied and pasted with every application but rather the format of the documents uploaded.

I've completed that portion. But I've seen some schools, like KYCO for example, have an option to upload a document of "an essay addressing your application, desire to be an optometrist and any special considerations you would like to add". In that case, it would entail the details I mentioned above since it is an uploaded doc. So I guess it's less like the "personal statement" that is copied and pasted with every application but rather the format of the documents uploaded.
You did say "personal statement"...
But for the additional essays that some schools ask for, I think the basic rules of having a reasonable font and size (Arial 11 or Times New Roman 12) would be sufficient. I don't think a name or title would be necessary because your name would already be in the app and when the app is complete, it organizes everything to have each question in bold with your response/attachments below it. But you can ask the optomcas chat or school to be more sure.