basic questions- path terms

Started by gclax30
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gclax30

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in need of some help. I keep reading about things like "sign out", "preview", "grossing", etc. but I'm not exactly sure what they mean. I don't want to start my path rotation without knowing these obviously common terms. Thanks! 👍
 
sign out = sit at microscope with attending and render diagnosis on a specimen

preview = when a resident or med student looks at slides before sign out, in theory trying to come up with a diagnosis on their own (or at least some good ideas)

grossing = describing and preparing for submission a biopsy or surgical specimen. this must be done for every specimen that will eventually be signed out
 
also to "sign-out" a case is a big deal. there can be informal discussion with a doctor about his patient and what the patient's diagnosis is, but once a case is "signed-out", a written/electronic report is part of the patient's official medical record with the pathologist's signature.

In most instances a surgeon or oncologist can be darn sure a patient has a certain disease but they usually won't treat it until a pathologist has put out a signed-out tissue diagnosis.