basic science cartilage research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Secondary Gain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year medical student who hasn't decided for sure what field to pursue; however ortho is high up on the list of fields that I'm considering. I have the opportunity to spend some time in the lab with a PhD researcher who's investigating cartilage biology. My questions is if research of this type would be considered of value when applying for ortho residencies or if it would be too basic science-y.

My goal is to find a project that's both interesting to me and helpful to my chances in the match, so that I can get the most return for my time. I have a feeling I'd find this project interesting but want to make sure before I commit that its the kind of thing that would help me in the match too. If anyone here could offer some advice I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished a year of cartilage biology research and think it will definitely help with the match. But if you are a third year it will be difficult to get much done in the lab unless you take some dedicated time off to work on the project, meaning at least 4+ months. Basic science takes a lot of time to get anything really done. You can get more done in clinical research with the time constraints that come with the clinical years of med school. Oh and make sure you actually enjoy your research no matter what it is or you wont get anything done. Good Luck