Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Basic Science Research as a DO?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by DrChandy, Dec 16, 2005.

1. DrChandy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are opportunities for research in the basic sciences (post graduate) for DO's pretty much the same as those available to MD's? I know MD's can conduct research in the basic sciences, but don't know of, nor have heard of any DO's doing the same. Just wondering if its possible...?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrChandy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Requesting mods to move this thread to the MD/PhD, DO/PhD forum

4. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sure it is possible. What opportunities will depend on the school.

5. bobg504

bobg504 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes DOs have the same opportunities. I conducted research last summer at the Mayo Clinic and Foundation and will be going back to do a year research fellowship. I saw many DO who had their own labs. You should explore all the opportunities you can.

6. DrChandy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Sounds good. Thanks for the helpful info.

7. box29

box29 Keep on keepin' on Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ENH-Evanston Northwestern Healthcare

http://www.enh.org/researchandacademics/research/investigators/principal/index.asp

Mark G. Neerhof, DO
    Principal Investigator
    Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine
    Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology

David P. Randall, DO
    Department of Neurology

Stuart M. Sprague, DO
    Division of Nephrology
    Department of Medicine

Scott N. MacGregor, DO
    Director
    Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
    Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology

8. docbill

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually I will share my observations.

As a DO you can do basic or clinical research. But that is something you will have to deal with after graduating. It is not difficult to do a Post-doc after either an MD/PHD/DO/PhamD/PsyD... etc... more then 50% of post-docs in the US come from outside the country... cause few citizens actually want to do this. Becoming a full researcher is possible.. but I would guess it is difficult for DOs. Simply cause research is really an MD and a PhD thing.

As a DO student you can do some very limited basic research. Mainly because the schools don't normally have too much research going on. There is some... but nothing compared to what an average MD school has. Probably like 5-10% of what MD schools might have. Some DO schools like NJ and MSU do have lots of research (public school) others as UNECOM (has some) and LECOM...very little.

9. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor
    5+ Year Member

VCOM is in the planning stages of offering their DO/Phd. Every single faculty member (Phd) here is required to do research. VCOM has recruited some excellent professors from big schools who have brought big money (millions) in research grants with them to VCOM. Virginia Tech has some lofty goal of being one of the top 10 or 20 research schools in the nation. VT is very aggressive in going after the right people to make this happen, and it needs VCOM to do this, so that collaberation has been good for both. VCOM will be one of the top osteopathic research schools in the next 5-10 years.

10. docbill

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are talking in future terms. What happens between now and then is a completely different story.

PS. If VCOM was sssooooo agrreeessive with research, why is it that I did not even get an interview... since I have extensive research experience. Someone missed the boat.

11. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor
    5+ Year Member

Because apparently they weren't as impressed with you as you are with you.

Not only that, they are sinking lots of money into their infrastructure right now with building projects and Phd recruitment. They pretty much have it all together now and it is just a matter of time in different areas of research that will build their reputation.

12. docbill

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good for them. I have nothing against a DO school actually contributing to basic research. At the same time every big school in US is building new research facilities and competing for the big dollars. So it is still a matter of time before anything pans out.

I hope I am wrong and that VCOM will become the top research medical school in the US. I would more than joyed and will have no trouble accepting this.

PS. I am so impressed with myself... you can't even imagine. I am like a huge gift to myself. There is little that I can imagine that is better then myself. Myself and I get along fine. Myself is pleased now. Myself and I was not insulted too much by VCOM not being impressed with us. Me on the other hand was offended.

13. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The one problem with doing basic science research as a DO is that you're going to have huge medical school debt when you're done the DO program. DO schools tend to be less generous with financial aid than MD schools and there are no funded DO/PhD program in the country (there are a few fully funded spots, but they are very rare). The other minor problem is that the caliber of research at most DO schools (unless affiliated with a MD school) is generally nowhere near as good as even the top-50 research MD programs. This makes sense as almost every DO program states that its primary goal is to produce primary care physicians. The reason this is minor is you could fall into a great lab or opportunity or you can always do research programs away from the institution where you get your DO.

Other than that, there's nothing stopping you, as in the future you will be judged on your research, research training, and the fact that you're board certified rather than whether you have an MD or a DO.