icevermin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

I'm a DO student who is super interested in Ophtho. The issue is I'm a DO student. I've been calling some programs to see who is open to DO students and already I know that at least NJMS, UT Southwestern, and Temple do not take Osteopathic Applicants.

I am relatively close to one of the top Eye Institutes in the country. When I called them to see if I could hop on a clinical project, they told me they do not take outside students. The only option I have left then is to do basic science research. How meaningful will basic science research be? I did basic science as an undergrad and did not publish, I know the difficulty in publishing basic science and I am worried honestly. Also I am worried, if I do basic science research (assuming I am even taken), about the "name" of the lab. I know Ophtho is a small field and something I do not quite understand fully is whether the meaningful names are clinical researchers, or also the basic scientists.

If somebody could provide some type of insight into this, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Regards,
icevermin

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

I'm a DO student who is super interested in Ophtho. The issue is I'm a DO student. I've been calling some programs to see who is open to DO students and already I know that at least NJMS, UT Southwestern, and Temple do not take Osteopathic Applicants.

I am relatively close to one of the top Eye Institutes in the country. When I called them to see if I could hop on a clinical project, they told me they do not take outside students. The only option I have left then is to do basic science research. How meaningful will basic science research be? I did basic science as an undergrad and did not publish, I know the difficulty in publishing basic science and I am worried honestly. Also I am worried, if I do basic science research (assuming I am even taken), about the "name" of the lab. I know Ophtho is a small field and something I do not quite understand fully is whether the meaningful names are clinical researchers, or also the basic scientists.

If somebody could provide some type of insight into this, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Regards,
icevermin
Did you email any individual researchers or offer to do an observership? I don't know if you're a an ms2 or 3 or whatever, but ppl often let you do research with them if you spend time with them.