"Basically" Go-Fer's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is there a negative attitude toward Higher and Lower Medical professionals/MD,RN,EMTB

• Yes, I definately am aware of this.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Yes, I sometimes see this.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No, I almost never see this, but have.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • No, I have never witnessed this. I work for the greatest company on earth.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

bennyhanna

BB
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my August, 2002 letter to EMS Magazine <http://www.emsmagazine.com/issues/article0027.html>, I had raised the suggestion that, as EMT Basics, we are merely drivers, laborers, and clean up technicians while the Intermediates and Paramedics get the action.

Now out of EMS for 2 years, and two years into my pre-medicine molecular biology degree, I am wondering if I should go back to EMS (for the required patient contact hours for admittance). I wonder if much has changed in the attitude of EMS? Is the contempt for RNs and MDs still there? Is there still rivalry amongst the ranks within EMS?

Not saying that all EMS systems are bad, or all EMTs for that matter, however, I notice an attitude amid my co-workers that was prevelant in rural wyoming, sub-urban colorado, and in the cities (phoenix, denver, LA, NYC) all places I worked before deciding to attend college.

Thanks!!

BB

Members don't see this ad.

Hey bennyhana
Yeah man, there's still some contempt out there on both sides of the fence, but it's inescapable, politics, petty turf wars, insecurity, and plain old miserable bastards will always be around. It's always a pleasure when you can work with good people. Don't let the petty crap get in the way though, you won't escape it as an md either.

EMT-basics are very valuable .While it is true that EMT-Bs "support" the ALS provider and sometimes do scut work, a good BLS provider is priceless. BLS is absolutely essential in any emergency case, you can't establish ALS care until BLS is done, ie. preoxygenating with BVM and suctioning before intubating, managing life threatening bleeding before putting in large bore IVs etc. A good report and physical exam goes a long way in determining the direction to take with a pt. I can't speak for everyone but I was always appreciative when I pulled up to a job, got a good report and found that all the BLS was already done. I think most medics appreciate a strong BLS provider. I like the old saying: Paramedics save lives, but EMTs save Paramedics. It's so true. Take Care.

point taken. What spurred my question was the current 9-11 investegation into how turf wars between fire and police, and ems and fire may have or have not been effectual in overall patient care.

Thanks!

BB

Members don't see this ad :)
bennyhanna said:
point taken. What spurred my question was the current 9-11 investegation into how turf wars between fire and police, and ems and fire may have or have not been effectual in overall patient care.

Thanks!

Hey bennyhanna,
I work in the NYC system for a voluntary hospital and never really had a problem with the firefighters. I always found them helpful, and I never thought they stepped on my toes. Some of them are also medics (and nurses strangely?) as you know and are quite helpful with pt care. But it goes both ways, if the firefighters needed to do their thing it payed to communicate effectively, say please and thank you and show general respect if you want to receive it in return. The only thing that sucks is that we have no way to communicate directly with the fire side. I have had nothing but good experiences with NYPD, sort of a kinship since we're both on the street for most of the day and try to cover each others back as much as we can. We also have their frequencies on our radios so we could communicate directly if we really had too. The only friction I've ever really seen was between the firefighters and NYPD ESU during a specialty rescue. I wouldn't worry about all that stuff you hear on TV about turf wars, besides if the **** hits the fan it's going to turn into a clusterfukk no matter what you do. Common sense and the will to survive is all you'll need in that case. Take Care.

I see a serious problem where I'm from on this issue. Its no good

I'll tell you what. I have been a paramedic for 5 years, and I will take a strong Basic over a mediocre medic as my partner any day of the week. We all have different roles to fill, and I can tell you that a good basic performing their role well can save you(the medic) from disaster and make your life (and the patient's) a whole lot easier.

As far as the RN thing goes, its died down to a light roar. Here in MI, we all work together quite well.

As far as the MD(and don't forget about DO's too) thing goes, I don't remember there ever being a problem their. I have never had a problem getting orders for anything, even narcs for pain and benzos for sedation, and the docs are usually informative and supportive. My buddy did a crichothyrotomy last week on a face trauma, and I the trauma surgeon was going to kiss him, hig him, and bake him a cake.

bennyhanna said:
In my August, 2002 letter to EMS Magazine <http://www.emsmagazine.com/issues/article0027.html>, I had raised the suggestion that, as EMT Basics, we are merely drivers, laborers, and clean up technicians while the Intermediates and Paramedics get the action.

Now out of EMS for 2 years, and two years into my pre-medicine molecular biology degree, I am wondering if I should go back to EMS (for the required patient contact hours for admittance). I wonder if much has changed in the attitude of EMS? Is the contempt for RNs and MDs still there? Is there still rivalry amongst the ranks within EMS?

Not saying that all EMS systems are bad, or all EMTs for that matter, however, I notice an attitude amid my co-workers that was prevelant in rural wyoming, sub-urban colorado, and in the cities (phoenix, denver, LA, NYC) all places I worked before deciding to attend college.

Thanks!!

BB

I have never been out there, but I heard that they have less than like 100 ALS providers (medics) in the entire state of Wyoming? Is that a fact? If so, those medics better be nice to the basics :cool:

Um, the overall number of Medics, EMT-B to EMT-P is about 100, for the entire state. According to the Wyoming EMS website (http://wdhfs.state.wy.us/ems) there are only about 19 paramedics, 30 EMT-Intermediates, and the rest are Basics or BLS providers.

The problem in this state, in my opinion, over trained/undereducated intermediates, Undertrained Basics, Undertrained Paramedics. There are NO paramedic classes in this state!!!! You have to go out of state to get certified and then transfer in. Intermediates are given a lot of responsibility to handle the lack of paramedics, which reside mostly in Cheyenne, Casper, I think a few in Laramie, and a couple of Non-EMS industrial paramedics. Most EMS providers in this state have seperate full time jobs. This may add stress which may add to the way in which basics are treated.

BB

I good friend of mine just accepted a full time medic job in Wyoming and moved there 2 weeks ago. He had mentioned things, so I was curious. I can't believe how underserved that state is.