Baylor Houston vs Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recycledpaper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any comment on these two radiology residencies? Pros and cons? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Con - Baylor Houston is in Houston.

Reactions: 2 users
I did interview at Both last year
I think Arizona is on the rise from the perspective of research and if that is something you like, then I would consider Arizona. I also personally would hate to be in Houston, so maybe I had this bias from the get go. Both program directors seemed committed and I think they will both support you. I was personally more attracted by U of A, but this is a personal preference. I would believe that academically they may be similar or close, although I remember U of A not being ranked badly at all (don't remember for Baylor, but you can do a quick doximity search, for what their ranking is worth).
Good luck.

I did interview at Both last year
I think Arizona is on the rise from the perspective of research and if that is something you like, then I would consider Arizona. I also personally would hate to be in Houston, so maybe I had this bias from the get go. Both program directors seemed committed and I think they will both support you. I was personally more attracted by U of A, but this is a personal preference. I would believe that academically they may be similar or close, although I remember U of A not being ranked badly at all (don't remember for Baylor, but you can do a quick doximity search, for what their ranking is worth).
Good luck.

I'm currently in Houston, and your assessment is accurate. The only attraction to Houston is jobs. There is no culture...It's not a classic "big city."

I was drawn here by UT Houston, moonlighting and research opportunities, and low cost of living. I don't hesitate to say that on paper, it should be the best diagnostic program in the country. Busiest level 1 trauma center, busy transplant center, MD Anderson, Texas Children's, and one of the busiest community hospitals in the country. There's nothing it doesn't have.

It is definitely a great diagnostic program. The IR program is improving tremendously.

But to get back on topic, I am very underwhelmed with Houston as a city, and will be moving as soon as my training is complete.

PM me and I can give you some insight into Baylor as a program, as we rotate with some of their residents. I can't give you specifics, but can tell you what they gripe about and, what I think are good things about their program.