Baylor-- how to get there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I should be able to figure this out, but I've searched Baylor's website and can't seem to find the answer to my question. I have an interview scheduled there for early January, and I have to make a flight ASAP...but there are several airports in Houston...does anyone know which is the closest?

Also, how would I go about finding a (relatively) inexpensive hotel close to the med school?

This will be my first interview, so I'm a bit confused, I guess! I'm planning on making my flight to leave for Houston in the morning of the 8th, and having my interview at noon on the 9th, and then flying out at about 7 P.M. or so on the 9th...does this sound about right, or am I missing something?

Thanks...any info is much appreciated!

Karen44

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Karen,

I'm confused - why do you need a hotel when you're flying in and leaving the same day (the 9th)?

As for flying in, I flew into Houston Intercontinental and flew out of Houston Hobby (complicated, but that's how the tickets ended up being cheapest.) I arrived at 10:00 a.m. and made it to Baylor in plenty of time. It took me about 45 minutes in the shuttle, but Houston traffic can vary so plan on about 1.5 hours tops from Intercontinental. Hobby is closer (1 hour), but it's really not a big deal, b/c shuttles run to and fro from both places to Baylor. When they sent you an interview invitation, you should have received a link in the MS Word document that is just for interviewees. It has a ton of maps, info on the shuttle, the interview day, etc.

Also try this site for the map:
http://www.tmcmaps.info/

good luck...

Thanks, that helps...so I guess I can get to the interview from either airport...is one closer than the other? (Well, first I'll check out those maps)...

I was planning to fly in the morning of the 8th, not the 9th, to have a day to look around, get oriented, etc...bad idea? So that's why I was trying to find a hotel room.

Thanks again,

Karen44

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Karen,

I live in the TMC and Hobby is closer I'm pretty sure. Southwest only flies into Hobby and not IAH so you might want to check their flights. As for hotels, there are a lot of chains that have locations very close by, on Main St, etc. Days Inn, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Marriott and Marriott Residence Inn, Hampton Inn and Suites, etc. You can run a search for these in Google with the hotel name + Houston and should hopefully be able to find the website... you can make reservations and check prices online. I don't think they are too expensive for the most part either.

If you need the numbers or anything, just PM I'll look 'em up in the phone book. :)

I agree - Hobby is a bit closer, but sometimes flights are cheaper into Intercontinental, but it's not that much farther away, so either is doable. As for getting a 7 p.m. flight out on the day of your interview, you might want to consider a later flight, or waiting until the next morning. Having a flight leave at 7 means you would have to leave Baylor probably around 5 to make it through the traffic, and that's right in the middle of the tours. The day really isn't over until about 7.

Good luck with your interview!

Originally posted by lilstina
Hey Karen,

I live in the TMC and Hobby is closer I'm pretty sure. Southwest only flies into Hobby and not IAH so you might want to check their flights. As for hotels, there are a lot of chains that have locations very close by, on Main St, etc. Days Inn, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Marriott and Marriott Residence Inn, Hampton Inn and Suites, etc. You can run a search for these in Google with the hotel name + Houston and should hopefully be able to find the website... you can make reservations and check prices online. I don't think they are too expensive for the most part either.

If you need the numbers or anything, just PM I'll look 'em up in the phone book. :)

Best Western is where I stayed, is about as close as you can get. Holiday Inn is next door. I would say they are half a mile away, but Baylor is sort tucked into the TMC.

I stayed at the Houston Marriot Medical Center Hotel 6580 Fannin 713-796-0080. It is the closest hotel possible. (Not sure about the Best Western). It has a free shuttle that will take you to the front door of the med school and will even pick you up. However, you are so close I just walked. Walking time is max of 5-10 mins. Baylor is maybe 1/4 mile from the hotel. Tell them you are interviewing for med school and they should give you a discount. I think it was around $70. Good luck

Actually, Southwest DOES fly into Intercontinental. I think you might be thinking of Dallas, where SW only flies into Lovefield and not into DFW.

Hobby is definitely considerably closer, but flying into IAH won't take you much longer. Go into whichever airport is cheaper, IMHO.

Fly in to hobby, it's much easier plus there should not be as much traffic. Good luck at Baylor! That's where I work so, maybe see ya there!

Originally posted by HollyJ
Actually, Southwest DOES fly into Intercontinental. I think you might be thinking of Dallas, where SW only flies into Lovefield and not into DFW.

Hobby is definitely considerably closer, but flying into IAH won't take you much longer. Go into whichever airport is cheaper, IMHO.

Wow, I fly Southwest all the time within Texas, and to each of the coasts, and I always go through Hobby. So that's news to me. That Dallas thing is really annoying btw, dont know why they did it to be honest.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Wow, I fly Southwest all the time within Texas, and to each of the coasts, and I always go through Hobby. So that's news to me. That Dallas thing is really annoying btw, dont know why they did it to be honest.

I guess this is getting off the topic, but Southwest does that in many cities or areas that have a major airport and then a not-so-major airport. It is cheaper to fly into the not-so-major airports, so, to keep costs dowm for customers, Southwest chooses the cheaper option. For instance, they fly to Chicago Midway, but not O'Hare. They fly to Providence, RI, but not Boston. In some cases, though, the demand justifies flying into the major airport, or to both airports in an area (i.e. they do fly into IAH, and they also fly into San Francisco airport). So that is why they fly to Love Field, and not DFW.

Hobby is definitely closer. Travel time will however depend on whether or not you arrive during rush hour. My house is farther away than both airports and I can get there in less than 30 minutes, usually. Between about 6-9a.m. and 4-6 p.m. the drive can take up to 1 hour 30 minutes. Traffic rules Houston. Yes Southwest does fly into Intercontinental but no where near as often as it does Hobby. Therefore, I almost always fly Hobby and by personal experience, I believe that it is more organized as well.

Another way to save a couple of bucks is to book your hotel on priceline.com. I have gotten some pretty nice hotel rooms, very close to where I needed to be, at very good prices. Never underestimate the power of a good nights sleep before a big day!

Hi again, I ended up booking a hotel room at the Holiday Inn ($59 a night, not bad!)...thanks for all the links and info.

But I still have yet to find a map of the medical center, specifically how to get to Kleberg Auditorium, where we're supposed to meet for interviews. I did try that one link to the Medical Center, but it just gave broad directions...I couldn't find the specific building on it.

Any ideas? Is the auditorium so obvious that I can't miss it? Or is there a map out there that I can't manage to find for some reason?

Thanks,

Karen44

I believe the auditorium is inside the Cullen building at Baylor, if its the same place other interview groups met. The cullen building is the main administrative building for baylor and there is a huge fountain in front of it. Once you get there, someone will direct you to where you need to go.

OK, thanks Gleevec :D

If youre taking the light rail, its nearby the Dryden/TMC stop.

Gleevec is right. Once you find Fannin and John Freeman Blvd. You'll see the big water fountain(if it's working). If it's not working then walk or drive straight back in the horse shoe and you're there! I'm not actually sure what auditorium that is(sad i've been here so long and still don't know where everything is, this place is huge!) but there's an information desk right when you walk in so they'll tell you. Plus they'll make you sign in and wear a name tag. Hope you find everything and good luck! Baylor is a great place to be!