Baylor: New course requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hookem5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping someone has been able to get to the bottom of this as I haven't been able to find any information on the subject. It seems Baylor's education requirements have been modified for the upcoming application cycle. Here is the new list: https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/requirements.

I'm concerned primarily about the "Expository Writing" requirement. My school doesn't offer any 4 hour courses in Expository Writing. We have many 3 hour courses that carry "writing flags", of which I've taken a few (all of them require major research papers, which seems to fit Baylor's criteria).

I have called and emailed BCM on the subject. The phone operators just say that it's a new requirement and they don't know the answer, and the email I received did not address any of my questions other than reiterating that AP credit for Literature and Comp is not sufficient. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

*The expository writing requirement may be accomplished through coursework in a number of disciplines that require intensive writing. Examples include formal courses in English, Philosophy, History, Public Policy, Political Science, or Religion. This requirement also may be accomplished through an Honors Thesis or completion of a major research paper.

Yeah man, you're over thinking it I bet... 2 3hour philosophy/english courses would cover this I bet. I honestly find it hard to imagine how you can go through undergrad without fulfilling this....

*The expository writing requirement may be accomplished through coursework in a number of disciplines that require intensive writing. Examples include formal courses in English, Philosophy, History, Public Policy, Political Science, or Religion. This requirement also may be accomplished through an Honors Thesis or completion of a major research paper.

Yeah man, you're over thinking it I bet... 2 3hour philosophy/english courses would cover this I bet. I honestly find it hard to imagine how you can go through undergrad without fulfilling this....

I'm sure that would work, but I don't want to register for 6 hours my last semester (which is already full) that I'm not sure if I even need, and still be uncertain that I've completed the requirement.

My "writing flag" courses are classified under Business Administration and Management.

How does it work if someone is under the impression they've completed all the requirements but actually haven't? Do they just set that application in the trash can?

Members don't see this ad :)
It sucks they won't get back to you. I would try emailing someone else, (maybe someone "higher up") and ask again. At the very worst, you won't be able to apply to one school. There are still tons of great schools out there.

I'm sure that would work, but I don't want to register for 6 hours my last semester (which is already full) that I'm not sure if I even need, and still be uncertain that I've completed the requirement.

My "writing flag" courses are classified under Business Administration and Management.

How does it work if someone is under the impression they've completed all the requirements but actually haven't? Do they just set that application in the trash can?
OP, you wouldn't have your app thrown away, but you could be told at or after your interview day that they need you to do something else. I'd be willing to bet if you took a course with a writing flag, you finished what you needed.

OP, you wouldn't have your app thrown away, but you could be told at or after your interview day that they need you to do something else. I'd be willing to bet if you took a course with a writing flag, you finished what you needed.

Thank you so much for this. I hope that's the case. I'll try to follow up with the person from admissions and keep my fingers crossed.

Got a nice response! They're telling me that as long as these courses had a major research paper, they fit the criteria.

I'm kind of curious as to how they're going to verify this down the road, but for now, I'm good. And like you said WombRaider, I don't think many people could get through undergrad without fulfilling this requirement somehow.